Quantcast

Canon G5?

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
i've got a g3 and love it. the main, and perhaps only difference between the g3 and g5 (there was no g4) is that the g5 has 5 megapixels instead of the 4 that mine has. that and the g3 is silver and the g5 black. one of the things i read about this cam is that bettery life is unbelievable. it is !! i'll leave the thing sitting around for weeks and it's still got plenty of juice when i pick it up again. i've done some fairly heavy shooting with it and haven't run out yet. maybe check out g3's if you're interested. might be a significant price break since it's "older technology"

here's a couple links for you to check out....

http://www.steves-digicams.com/ just one of many digicam review site.

http://www.dpreview.com/ another one that i used to read some

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong5/ specific review for the g5

http://www.lensmateonline.com/ very cool adaptor to use teleconverter/filters/wide angles

http://resellerratings.com/ if you're going to buy online, look for reviews on the reseller fist. there's a lot of shady ones out there

good luck !

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
Anyone have one? What are your thoughts?
Great camera. PM biggins, he has one. I've had some good shooting time with one.

Visit those review sites listed above, the dpreview site is pretty thorough. BestBuy has them on the shelf so you can go play with one... If you can find a local shop where there's no cable attached so you have some freedom of movement, that's better.

The main downside is that the camera is a horrible shape. It's like a big, boxy, $20 Wal-Mart 35mm. But the electronics are good and it takes good pictures. Nice lens, too.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I went to Circuit *****y and played with one, and I dont like it. One of the biggest things is being able to see the lens through the viewfinder! How do you overlook that?!?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
I went to Circuit *****y and played with one, and I dont like it. One of the biggest things is being able to see the lens through the viewfinder! How do you overlook that?!?
Well, for most digital cameras, a visual viewfinder is secondary - 90% of the people who take pictures with it use the LCD screen.

The lens thing didn't bother me much because any shot where I need to see 100% of the view is usually for artsy or macro shots, in which case I use the LCD. I only used the viewfinder for some action shots and one or two low light shots - neither of which it was important that I get 100% of the shot in the viewfinder.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
BigMike said:
I have a G3 and NEVER use the viewfinder. It may take some time to break the camera to face habit, but once your corrupted - you'll never go back. The Canon's movable LCD was priority one when I was shopping for cameras. I can take shots above my head, at my feet, around corners, or back at myself and always know what I'm getting. Far beyond spiffy.

As for the G5, it's a little dated as DigiCam Technology leaps foward like no other. The main issue with DigiCams has been focus time, and the newer rounds are FAST - almost film fast. If I was to by a Camera today it would be the Canon S1. [<--Link] Lower pixel count than a G5, but large enough for most peoples uses. [How often are you going to make posters out of your pics?] It has all the cool features of a G5, 10x optical zoom, and super fast focus time.

Just make sure you do your research before you buy, all those sites above are great.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
You guys obviously know wassup. What would be some recomendations on cameras for beginners. I guess I'm looking for the Camera version of the IH SGS DH. The most affordable camera that is still considered acceptable high quality recording while still compact enough to be mobile for Helmet cam use. Just looking for some solid recomendations and maybe a price point or two. I followed your links but am not knowledgeable enough to tell the crap from the cronic. Looking to spend about a G.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
JerseyDave said:
You guys obviously know wassup. What would be some recomendations on cameras for beginners. I guess I'm looking for the Camera version of the IH SGS DH. The most affordable camera that is still considered acceptable high quality recording while still compact enough to be mobile for Helmet cam use. Just looking for some solid recomendations and maybe a price point or two. I followed your links but am not knowledgeable enough to tell the crap from the cronic. Looking to spend about a G.

BWAHAHAHAHAH!! '"the camera version of the Iron Horse SGS" Thats awesome man :thumb:

We are talking about digital cameras here though, not video, which is what you would need for a helmet cam. is that what you are talking about?

BuddaRoadkill, thanks for the link. I dont know how often I will be making posters out of my pictures, probably not very often, but.... ya never know :)

I'm kinda scared to go to digital, I'm just so accustomed to 35mm. Thats why the viewfinder thing is a big deal to me, I'm a camera to face guy, I need to be weened, not just quit cold turkey :)