Quantcast

Can't get a 83mm bb for sunday will 68 or 73 work?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I will give you that there is a definate lack of reading comprehension displayed by many of the responders....and bad assumptions made.

But when people at first pointed the O.P. to an 83mm ISIS bb, he/she never came back and said he was looking for bearing cups for an external bb...not really an 83mm bb. It is sort of semantics, but the o.p. does not need a bb (which would NEED to be purchaced in the particular size determined by the frame), he needs bearing cups (or in reality just new bearings as they can be easily replaced).

To make things more vague/confusing..the o.p. said he had gravity gap cranks..something that is only available in 68/73 to the general public. No mention of the fact that they are OEM and cam on the bike..just that he has some cranks (0nly avail in 68/73 and wants to put them on his sunday (83).

Oh by the way, LOTS of people run ISIS on this kind of bike (83mm bb) due the overwhelming lack of lighter weight external bb cranks available for the 83mm bb standard. See here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174579&highlight=lightest+83mm

You would have been much better received if instead of telling everyone who tried to help, "so before you open your mouths and make a dammed fool out of yourself " that you simply stated that they were OEM 83mm external cranks and just needed new cups/bearings..all would have been good..rather than you looking like a d1ck.

switch98

Chimp
Jun 23, 2007
But when people at first pointed the O.P. to an 83mm ISIS bb, he/she never came back and said he was looking for bearing cups for an external bb...not really an 83mm bb. It is sort of semantics, but the o.p. does not need a bb (which would NEED to be purchaced in the particular size determined by the frame), he needs bearing cups (or in reality just new bearings as they can be easily replaced).

Oh by the way, LOTS of people run ISIS on this kind of bike (83mm bb) due the overwhelming lack of lighter weight external bb cranks available for the 83mm bb standard. See here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174579&highlight=lightest+83mm

You would have been much better received if instead of telling everyone who tried to help, "so before you open your mouths and make a dammed fool out of yourself " that you simply stated that they were OEM 83mm external cranks and just needed new cups/bearings..all would have been good..rather than you looking like a d1ck.
I agree that if it was a isis bb or a howitzer bb that it would need to be the correct length.
Maybe if you all were more interested into getting more information instead of lighting the torches and calling out a shop when you have little to no information on the situation.
A very vauge question was asked, and none of you probed for more information, so its not my fault that 90% of you went way into the wrong direction.
If calling me names makes you feel better about the lack of knowledge put forth in this thread feel free, I can handle it, as no matter what you say, I was right and helped solve this guys problem whereas all of you confused him.