Quantcast

Car Dwellers, arise!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm at a point in my life where I will be essentially living out of my car/couch surfing (gotta do what you gotta do to pay tuition). I'm looking at things in the $1000-1500 range.

Things I'm looking at:
-Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L
-Nissan Pathfinder
-Toyota 4-Runner (tend to command a higher price, sadly)
-Isuzu Rodeo (maybe a Troopah)
-Mitsu Montero

My requirements:
-Large enough for a 6'1 male to lie flat in and hold a small amount of belongings
-Able to go anywhere, I'd like to do some desert trekking over the summer.
-Easy to work on/available and cheap parts (semblance of reliability would be good, too)

Any other suggestions? Finding data on 20 year old SUVs is tough, interior volume is my biggest concern at this point. I'd kill for an 80s Land Cruiser, but prices are up there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm at a point in my life where I will be essentially living out of my car/couch surfing (gotta do what you gotta do to pay tuition). I'm looking at things in the $1000-1500 range.

Things I'm looking at:
-Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L
-Nissan Pathfinder
-Toyota 4-Runner (tend to command a higher price, sadly)
-Isuzu Rodeo (maybe a Troopah)
-Mitsu Montero

My requirements:
-Large enough for a 6'1 male to lie flat in and hold a small amount of belongings
-Able to go anywhere, I'd like to do some desert trekking over the summer.
-Easy to work on/available and cheap parts (semblance of reliability would be good, too)

Any other suggestions? Finding data on 20 year old SUVs is tough, interior volume is my biggest concern at this point. I'd kill for an 80s Land Cruiser, but prices are up there.
are you talking real offroading, or just driving around dirt roads?

if you're not gonna be offroading, a minivan or an early 90's volvo wagon, if you are gonna be offroading, find a chevy assvan or a ford econoline, i'm pretty sure both could be found in awd/4wd. It would be older versions of these to be in your price range, and you risk looking like a pedo.

if you're willing to do it, toyota's original pickup (it was called just "pickup", or was it "truck"? one of the 2) and put a camper/cab on the back. Easily the most reliable vehicle EVER.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Go for a kid toucher van, Like the one Tony Danza drove on who's the boss.
Black steel wheels, miscolored panels, rust, teardrop window with a curtain.

Oh and a big jar of candy with the bottom cut out :brows:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
The old Cherokees are tanks but they're kinda small for sleeping in.

Also, I can't say this loudly enough: Do Not Buy an Isuzu.

Junk cars with no manufacturer support.

Everyone I know who's owned one has burned lots of oil (like several quarts between changes) and the transmissions appear to be made of glass. Blew one up in the middle of the Mojave (ya) and was constantly worried about #2 going out. I unloaded my 98 Rodeo over the summer and I've never been so happy to get such a bad price for a vehicle. It handled like crap, the interior was ultra tacky, and it had the worst electronics I've ever seen.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Check out a used conversion van. Decent looking ones are all over craigslist. A 1/2 ton chevy van is pretty cheap and easy to work on too. As long as gas mileage isn't a huge concern and you don't have to parallel park it, this would be my choice hands down.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i dig the jeep idea. a cherokee is built like a tank, and without seats in the back, you might have plenty of room. expect the 4x4 vans to carry a big premium. An early toyota truck or forerunner is a good choice too. That's what that one guy took to afreakuh

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
ahhhh....yessss...the Gypsy Lifestyle is calling you. Best heed the sirens cuz I hear hot gypsy sex is the bomb.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Love my cherokee but I am 6'1" too and I can't really lie flat in the back. I sleep in it every now and then if I get caught in a rain storm or something but I end up laying diagonally and can't really stretch out. Also, it's pretty uncomfortable for two.

Sounds like you need a van.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
ahhhh....yessss...the Gypsy Lifestyle is calling you. Best heed the sirens cuz I hear hot gypsy sex is the bomb.
Yea, cause nothing is better than musky van sex when you don't have regular showers.

Funny timing, I just got home from work and there is a Vanagon (sp?) parked down the block. My vote is for some type of utility truck. You're going to need the storage as well as room to stretch your legs.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
this is funny, I'm actually in the process of selling my '88 Econoline conversion.

Great van, even with all the pedo jokes from friends, it was still a hit on long road trips. Gas mileage was absolutely horrible, but what do you expect. Mechanically pretty sound, especially for being a 20 year old vehicle.

I hate to sell it, but I don't need it anymore and its just been sitting in my carport since my last Bootleg trip in December.

Living in one wouldn't be too bad, plenty of space. I think if I were to do it over, I'd find one that had the expandable top, so you could stand up and move around in it. There were pics in Litter (I think) of Chris Van Dine's rig, he had a stove and everything in it.

Anyways, that was a long ramble, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I think that a serious contender in this conversation has been left out. A pre 1991 Chevy or GMC suburban fits the bill perfect. Old chevy parts are everywhere and the 350 straight axle combo is pretty bomb proof unless your going wheeling constantly. I'm 6'3 and would take one of those camping on the weekends. I would put down the back seats and could stretch out in there easy.

Plus aftermarket parts abound and lift kits are cheap.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A mini van or a full sized one is the only way to go.

When I was going to a lot of races, I had a mini van with the seats removed. I built a wood bed frame with a 3/8" ply surface that flexed a little. On top of that I had a Thermarest and a sleeping bag. The frame set about a foot off the floor of the van I could store my gear underneath it.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Look for a '95 or older Plymouth Grand Voyager, can probably be had for $800 - $1500. They are roomy inside, get 23-25 mpg with a 3.3L engine, handle good (for a van), lots of spare parts available. You can easily sleep in this and have room for your bike inside.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Verdad! I'm 6'0" and regularly sleep in my Cherokee on camping trips, but it's tight. I only do it 'cause compared to a tent, it's quieter, drier, and faster to set up and take down. When it's the wifey and me, we take the minivan - loads more room, and easier to climb in and out. The back doors on the Cherokee are tiny, and you can't open the hatch from inside.
- Joe

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Aren't sub $1000 VW buses everywhere in santa cruz. Given your love of mechanically punishing vehicles, it seems like a no brainer. My wife, myself and our 2 100# dogs lived in our '67 over several summers.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
VW buses are everywhere, but expensive, and I don't want to deal with them. A Syncro Vanagon with a 3.0L H6 Subi swap would be the tits.

Minivans are decidedly out - hard to work on, not very durable. Astro vans are hard to find in 4WD for cheap. Full-size vans are tough to come by locally, and are also not the easiest beasts to swing a wrench in (but parts are cheap+easy). If I saw one that was within my price range, I'd definitely consider it. One other minor thing that has me shying away from them is the "I sleep in my car" stigmata they carry, which can make employment hard and makes getting hassled by the fuzz easier.

Older Suburban is a good idea - I hadn't thought of that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I like the idea of an early 90's volvo wagon. They're tanks, and are big enough that you can lie comfortably in back with the seats down.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yes. Thats the ticket. Would you have trouble consistantly finding someplace to park a truck like that?
I like the idea of an early 90's volvo wagon. They're tanks, and are big enough that you can lie comfortably in back with the seats down.
Reliability of the electronic bits isn't the best, parts are expensive, and with low ground clearance+RWD they aren't the most agile beasts on the planet.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Reliability of the electronic bits isn't the best, parts are expensive, and with low ground clearance+RWD they aren't the most agile beasts on the planet.
You're right about the electronics. I speak from experience there. The 850 is fwd, and handles a load better than the 240. A little more expensive though.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
My father-in-law has 3 step vans. One is even converted to a motor home with bed, bathroom and kitchen. The outside looks like a regular step van so it's low-profile. I think he would let one go for cheap.