Quantcast

Car Opinions

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
So just a question for the car monkeys here.

I'll be selling my car by the end of the month and buying something a little more fun with the proceeds. I should be able to get between 4 and 5K for the car I have now.

I just moved within 9 miles of work so I no longer need something super reliable and since we just had a baby my wife is no longer working so we don't "need" another car. I can always driver her reliable car anytime I need to.

I'm looking at a mid 60's MG MGB. Anyone know anything about these cars? I'm not totally ignorant when it comes to cars but I must admit I know nothing about MG's. Is it a huge money pit? Prone to repairs? I would buy something in sound working order, but don't want something that's gonna' die in 10K miles.

Anyone have any idea?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
NOT a daily driver. No car over 40 years old should be considered a daily driver, esp. an MG.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Miata, or old rx7, or Porsche 944
We think along the same lines as the Miata is #1 on my list and I had one for a summer a while ago. I'm only in love with the mid to late 90's RX7's and I can't afford them, and while I love Porsche's and am looking at them they are notorius money pits.

As far as British electronics go, I was hoping that was reserved for Jaguars only. I know it's a bad idea as a daily, but I really like the look.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Don't bother with any older British cars you will just be asking for trouble why don't you just keep the money and spend it on the family. Plus you'll save in gas and insurance money too.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
MG blow, A kid at school has one. He is always working on it in our auto shop. The 944's maintenance isn't to much, but have a mech look at it before you buy.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I've always wanted an old military jeep. Have the engine overhauld so you can drive to work, but also rally it around in the woods....

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
my pops had an mgb. he said by the time he sold it in 6 years after NEW he had easily replaced every drive train componant at least once. thats a LARGE money pit.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Don't bother with any older British cars you will just be asking for trouble why don't you just keep the money and spend it on the family. Plus you'll save in gas and insurance money too.
I spend a lot of money on my family. I can count on one hand, strike that, one finger, the things I've bought myself (major) in the past couple years. I want a toy, and I can afford it, so why not?

But after hearing everyone on here I must admit an old British roadster would probobly be best as a 3rd or 4th weekend car.

I'm right back to a 93 Miata, though still looking. Any other suggestions?

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Stay with the Miata, they are su much fun to drive. I feel kinda queer driving one though...
EXACTLY

A buddy had one for a couple years and whenever we went out for a drive I felt like a total puff. I borrowed it from him for a summer and it's not so bad by yourself, but man with another guy in the car?

I like to think I'm man enough to get over that though, because they are DAMN fun to drive. I really do like them.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
EXACTLY

A buddy had one for a couple years and whenever we went out for a drive I felt like a total puff. I borrowed it from him for a summer and it's not so bad by yourself, but man with another guy in the car?

I like to think I'm man enough to get over that though, because they are DAMN fun to drive. I really do like them.
Well if your married I would guess you confident enough with your sexuality to drive one.

You could always say your MG broke down & you needed to borrow the wife's car...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as long as you remember to not drive around town with your toy poodle in your lap you can rock the miata without shame. i'd be in one this minute if there was any way i could live with a car that small.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If it helps they're called 'MX 5's in Europe, which is less ghey than Miata, which I have to admit does sound a bit like a homosexual love act.

"He gave me a reach around so I gave him a miata!"

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
As nothing more than projects, I've rebuilt/ pseudo restored many an MG and other Brit cars--(bug-eyed sprites, triumphs, a few original minis etc.)

In my experience, with MG's you will need to park VERY far away from wherever it is you're going, preferably on a downhill slope. This way you can pop the clutch to get the d@mned thing going if need be.

Also, you know why the British don't make computers?

They can't figure out how to make them leak (insert you favorite automotive fluid of choice).

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
as long as you remember to not drive around town with your toy poodle in your lap you can rock the miata without shame. i'd be in one this minute if there was any way i could live with a car that small.
Yeah I fit just right, but if I were any taller it would be tough. It's like the car was made for Japanese women.

Well like I said the Miata is at the top of the list, but a close second is a '93 ish MR2, especially if I can find it in the twin turbo.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
If it helps they're called 'MX 5's in Europe, which is less ghey than Miata, which I have to admit does sound a bit like a homosexual love act.

I don't know what would be better, a bumper sticker that said, "It's an MX-5, not a Miata"

or

"He gave me a reach around so I gave him a Miata"

Awesome

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Like others have suggested I would go with the Miata. Any car more than 15 years old should not be considered as a daily driver unless you're really handy with the wrenches. As for it looking like a girls car...well only you can tackle that one.

I hardly think one should worry about how their car is perceived by others....you could always make it look like this...D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The rice on that Miata up above is awful...They make wonderful fun/track cars, but too impractical for my tastes.

Have you considered an e30 or e36 3-series BMW? A 325 or 328 properly tuned is a blast and can easily make 200whp for a few dollars. More reliable than everything on your list (except the Miata), in your price range, much nicer motor than the Mazda.

Also, have you looked at the last generation Nissan 300ZX? They're piggy, but if you get the turbo version...Not sure how much they go for, though.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just bought an '83 Toyota Supra 5 speed ($230 for the car + $200 for a complete performance exhaust) and it is a blast.

I am getting about 20mpg and it's fun as hell to drive. I know by the time I'm done with the little things + upgrades, I'll be in it about $2500. But it's RWD and that's what counts.

I know a guy at work who races SCCA with a Miata. It's fast, but it won't get him laid.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
How about a Z3? A bit better looking and nicer inside than a Miata, and the last time I was looking at cars you could find them pretty reasonably priced. And since they're convertibles they seem to spend most of their lives in garages and have pretty low miles.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have a 1960 bug eye sprite, (in the restoration process now) and my family has owned several late 50's and 60's Bri-ish ca-s they are a blast to drive, and they do force you to know your mechanical and electrical chit!

get a Miata or something like that. They are fun cars. If I had a few grand extra laying around, I would buy one and trick it out, there are tons of performance upgrades for them!

FWIW... who cares what the people say is the image of "this ride" or "that ride"... if you have fun with the thing that is all that matters!

ROCK ON!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
How about a Z3? A bit better looking and nicer inside than a Miata, and the last time I was looking at cars you could find them pretty reasonably priced. And since they're convertibles they seem to spend most of their lives in garages and have pretty low miles.

My dad has the M-Roadster, it looks like a Z3 but has the inline souped up 6 cyl. "M" motor in it. that thing is a rocket ship! just look out when it comes time to put new rubber under it... you are going to get taken to the cleaners!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
In my experience, with MG's you will need to park VERY far away from wherever it is you're going, preferably on a downhill slope. This way you can pop the clutch to get the d@mned thing going if need be.
Truer words were never spoken.

vtjim I'll just send you a free lighter and you can simply burn your money. That way you'll still have something useful left over.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The rice on that Miata up above is awful...They make wonderful fun/track cars, but too impractical for my tastes.

Have you considered an e30 or e36 3-series BMW? A 325 or 328 properly tuned is a blast and can easily make 200whp for a few dollars. More reliable than everything on your list (except the Miata), in your price range, much nicer motor than the Mazda.

Also, have you looked at the last generation Nissan 300ZX? They're piggy, but if you get the turbo version...Not sure how much they go for, though.
You have to store gas in your apartment yet you think a Miata is impractical?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The worst thing about the 300zx was the engine layout. You can't do anything on it without pulling the motor. The turbos are impossible to get to and it cost a fortune (or takes forever) to change the timing belt.

The MK3 Supra is a bit piggy but can be had with turbo for about $3500. My MK2 will get a 7MGTE engine swap once the rest of the car has been gone through. About 600 pounds lighter and much more nimble.