Quantcast

Carbon + DH cranks. Ummm

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i think they would be fine for riders at or less than around 140lbs or so, but for bigger people like myself (230lbs), thats a no-go for sure. my carbon bars lasted me a week before they developed hairline cracks. god knows what would happen with cranks.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
carbon is nice but going fast and some little jump and that cracks hell i can be in wheel chair because of carbon...
they maybe be good, and long life time but i will stick wit my alluminium cranks

my easton monkey dh bar is everything i need from carbon on my bike

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i would run them, i wait i do.......... for 3 years same cranks FSA BMX they have TONs"O deep scratches, they are still fine.

If i was making a pair they would be about like this but have more meat
around the pedal area to take hits.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
what?? no carbon bash, chain ring, chain guide?:clue: :brow:
i dont think i would run them, cranks is something i fix and forget about. and i dont think they will be lighter/stiffer then what shimano have to offer. i think it would give more ppl peice of mind if they has some sort skid plates on the end of the crank, where it comes in contact with the ground.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
it seems most people's perception of carbon is completely based on a few underbuilt handlebars breaking. properly designed carbon is burly stuff with amazing strength to weight ratio & design flexibility possibilities. bcd's & lahars have fantastic longterm durability, and i've yet to hear of any 'modern' carbon dh specific bars breaking. really neat stuff. though i can't speak for the durability of these cranks in particular, i don't see anything inherently wrong with using the material in this application. granted, i have a carbon fetish...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
First of all, I bet there is some sort of aluminum spline in the crank arm that would prevent "catastrophic" failure.

And like they said above, carbon can be extremely durable when made right. The carbon spindle can be made to save a significant amount of weight while actually being stronger/stiffer than AL (mostly because of the twisting forces involved).

I'd be willing to rock them if 1) they did not cost an arm; 2) they were significantly lighter than AL; 3) they had a good crash-replacement policy;

It would also be nice to see some sort of metal end cap where one tends to clip rocks.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
hey, i run monkey like xc bars on my dh bike. i just have more peice of of mind since i can keep and eye on it.
taking an example from road, shimano durace cranks vs everything else carbon. most of the time the carbon ones are slightly lighter but the difference in stiffness makes everyone go back to sh1tmano.
anyways, once carbon proves it self over a season or two i would use them.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Your running the XC version? Not the smartest ID ever...
They have a special DH version you know.
yea, but i am 120 lbs, dont do gnar gnar hucks to flat. not that i am trying to save weight, it just that my lbs only had that at the time.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I wouldn't see a problem with people of higher weights riding them, they're just carbon.

My concern is bashing the hell out of them and bending/breaking them...

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
i rode some proto carbon cranks on my nomad for a long time. i rode the **** out of them, like i would my dh bike. they held up to rock bashing way better than most people think. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Composite materials are incredible when designed and manufactured by intelligent people. FEA programs have gone a long way in being able to analyze laminates, and this has allowed designers to be more efficient with their layups. Composite materials just aren't like steel, where any hack can build something with it and it'd be fine. Anisotropic materials are inherently more difficult to design with. You actually have to know what you're doing.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I have yet to see a posted pic of snapped carbon bars.

I'm a solid year + on my FSA K force bars @ 190lbs and they have serious OTB damage in the bends.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I have yet to see a posted pic of snapped carbon bars.

I'm a solid year + on my FSA K force bars @ 190lbs and they have serious OTB damage in the bends.
i don't think the pervasive stories of snapping bars are a good indication of reality. its a 'new' material under the microscope. rumor propigation is a wierd thing - a limited few break, and they're quickly all percieved as flawed (not unlike the recent broken boxxer wc thread). i've seen lots of broken aluminum bars, and no one seems to go on about the lifespan limiting fatigue issues of that material. i have personally seen one carbon bar snap (a 1st gen easton monkeylite dh - about 5 years ago), it was really light & thin for a dh bar, and the breakage looked like it was propigated by a stress riser caused by a sharp / tight lever. i ran the same bar for a season of dh & freehucking (which was the fashion back in the day) without a problem. i'm sure the current crop of dh bars are much burlier.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
i rode some proto carbon cranks on my nomad for a long time. i rode the **** out of them, like i would my dh bike. they held up to rock bashing way better than most people think. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Composite materials are incredible when designed and manufactured by intelligent people. FEA programs have gone a long way in being able to analyze laminates, and this has allowed designers to be more efficient with their layups. Composite materials just aren't like steel, where any hack can build something with it and it'd be fine. Anisotropic materials are inherently more difficult to design with. You actually have to know what you're doing.
very well said.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Thanks, I design stuff every day using composite materials and I'm just trying to clear it's bad name. Some people are old school and just don't like new materials coming in and taking over. It was the same way with aluminum. All the old school steel dudes hated the stuff. Like some other dude said above, you never hear people complaining of the poor fatigue characteristics of aluminum. Think of how many bending cycles those bars are seeing on any given run. Especially rough DH courses. Composite materials can do waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better in fatigue. That's one of my favorite characteristics about them.

Garrett 0 P

Monkey
Sep 10, 2006
sammamish
Carbon belongs on road bikes.

true. unless your running carbon headset spacers, brake levers, seatposts. but even then carbon doesnt really make that big of a weight difference. id rather add one pound to my bike then have to spend money on broken carbon parts.

glivingston5

Chimp
May 9, 2005
i can live with a little extra weight, they might be fine if u never do anything but race, but i wouldnt use them for freeride. no bueno

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
yea im not to into the properties of composite materials. what else are these materials good for other then looking good and breaking, while saving a few ounces of weight
stiffer, stronger. you can put the material in the direction of the loading. this allows you to fine tune the stiffness and strength in any direction you want, usually the load path. also, you can layup the laminate such that under certain thermal loading it can bend in a pre-determined direction. the coolest thing I've ever made was a tensile test specimen with a negative poisson's ratio. when you pulled on it axially, instead of getting skinny in the transverse direction, it got fatter. metals can't do that sh1t. only crazy materials. crazy cool materials. fvck metal