Quantcast

Carbon Drive- seems like a good idea

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/news/08-28

This seems pretty neat to me. If they can figure out a way to get around the major downsides (special dropots needed, no way to change the length of the belt), then it'd be awesome. Sure, you probably wouldn't be able to drive down to the LBS and grab a spare carbon reinforced rubber belt, but I still think it's a good idea. The weight, simplicity and durability are all good and the price, given what it is, doesn't seem too bad.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've been waiting for these to come to market since Jericho started making them a few years back.

I'd retrofit a small S&S coupler to my right stay to create an opening simply to have the ability to run a belt.

No noise, no lube, lighter, longer lifespan, better efficiency. I'm all for this on my SS bikes.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've been waiting for these to come to market since Jericho started making them a few years back.

I'd retrofit a small S&S coupler to my right stay to create an opening simply to have the ability to run a belt.

No noise, no lube, lighter, longer lifespan, better efficiency. I'm all for this on my SS bikes.
My thoughts exactly. This seems a bit more refined than the Jericho system. I think they used an off-the-shelf belt. That may have been a touch cheaper.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here

My thoughts exactly. This seems a bit more refined than the Jericho system. I think they used an off-the-shelf belt, though, which may have been a touch cheaper than this system will be.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
One question left currently unanswered, though, is that of drivetrain efficiency. Conventional roller pin chains are also among the most efficient drive systems on earth, and it's difficult to imagine that a polyurethane belt and its seemingly obvious hysteresis effects can improve on that. CDS is optimistic nonetheless, however, and is currently undergoing third party tests to confirm (or refute) its claims.
It will be interesting to see the results of their tests.

Jun 20, 2007
I can't wait. This is long overdue. I just broke a chain this weekend while riding, I can't wait for that to be a thing of the past.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
You all think this will have off-road applications?

What happens when you get mud and dirt between the teeth and cogs? The logical conclusion is that you would shred teeth off the belt or that the belt would slip. I see it working in relatively clean road conditions but I don't know about dirt and mud.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
So, the special dropout is the means for getting belts on and off? I'm guessing that's what the gray bit is for.
I had the opportunity to work with a set of the prototype Carbon drive dropouts .. Very cool system better than the split stay design Jerico was working on before their demise !
The frame I built might be the one pictured ...not 100% sure ?

jtdcg

Chimp
Aug 15, 2004
NH

Took me a minute to remember why this was required....easy to forget that your chain is threaded through your rear triangle.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
The Spot Brand Single Speed powered by the Carbon Drive System performed like a charm at the Worlds 24 hour solo championships this weekend! 24 hours of heat and dust - no lube .. cha ching :)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
The Spot Brand Single Speed powered by the Carbon Drive System performed like a charm at the Worlds 24 hour solo championships this weekend! 24 hours of heat and dust - no lube .. cha ching :)
Sounds like it would have been great for me during the SM100 this past weekend. I think I relubed my chain 4-5 times during the race. (Carried a small bottle of White Lightning in my pack)

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
As well me (I was sharing a pit with my teammate who was on the Single Speed) - I had to clean and lube my chain almost every lap with the normal geared bike. Next year - I am all over the carbon drive!