Quantcast

Carbon fiber nanos may be the next Asbestos

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Driving into work late this morniing due to a rare mid week hangover, I heard a report on BBC News, that nano particles are being investigated as potentionally hazardous. They are saying that since the particles are so small thay can penetrate the skin and and build up in the body. Carbon fiber was at the top of the list because once they enters the lungs it can cause the same problem as Asbestos particles. This can not be good news for the Carbon fiber industry, although I think any difinitive evidence is a log way off.

I see a new carreer as a carbon fiber abatement engineer, what will all the weight weenies do???

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the only evidence i have heard of is from the mechanics in f1, some guys who have been there for ages, breathing in all that carbon fiber brake dust cant be good.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Who cares you gotta die someway.
Not much point in worrying about something that might never happen.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If beryllium alloy products caught on big we could have some real fun with the dust :thumb:

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Who cares you gotta die someway.
Not much point in worrying about something that might never happen.
Any idea how you die from asbestos inhalation?- not exactly like dying of old age in your sleep! :disgust1:
What a strange outlook on life - dont prevent yourself from injury just dont worry about it and it MAY never happen.

When i was at university my materials science lecturer was expressing his own fears that nano technology in general is on a whole untested in terms of the impact to the human body.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Any idea how you die from asbestos inhalation?- not exactly like dying of old age in your sleep! :disgust1:
What a strange outlook on life - dont prevent yourself from injury just dont worry about it and it MAY never happen.

When i was at university my materials science lecturer was expressing his own fears that nano technology in general is on a whole untested in terms of the impact to the human body.
eh, he's a carbon whore, there's no way you'll convince him that it's hazardous.

That being said, I really, really don't think riding a carbon frame will ever do any damage to the rider, unless he cracks it and licks it or eats it. The people being affected are anybody sanding, milling, or modifying it...but you should probably be wearing protective gear while doing that anyways.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
As stated above, this is not an issue to those who use carbon frames or fishing rods etc etc unless you go attacking it and breathing in the dust:bonk:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
is this risk specific to carbon nano tubes, or does it apply to regular carbon fiber as well?
As said above, you guys are a little off. I am a materials science PhD student right now and the whole health risks news stories are stemming from carbon nano tubes and carbon nano rods. The carbon fiber that you will encounter in a fishing rod or bike is not made of this stuff. I am sure that the dust isnt good for you, but it definitely isnt going to cause your DNA to modify itsself like carbon nanotubes can (read cancer). Additionally, the amount of dust you would have to inhale is a huge amount. Research has shown that you would need to inhale dust over several years to get the kind of exposure that would be similar to asbestos exposure.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I found the whole story quite interesting. Carbon we not the only Nanos they taked about. There were also concerns about aluminum salts, zinc oxide, magnesium and such used in everydays products. They are so small thay can enter through the skin. The carbon was a bit more scary since I know somone affliced by black lung and asbestos is pretty similar. A far as needing to breath or eat the dust??? If we ever start using as much carbon nanos in the next 20 years as we used asbestos in the 50's and 60's it could be a major problem. In the mean time, next time you snap a set of carbon bars Keeo your face away from the break.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sweet. So when you impale yourself on your snapped carbon bars you then get to inhale all the harmful nanoparticles too. Bonus.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Yep I understand Asbestos.
Its was used in houses over here until the late 90's.
Its in everyting from old plaster to hardboard.
I believe i may have came in contact with it on a few occasion.
But as said I am not sure.
I aint worry about it though,You only have one life and If thats the way I am too go may it be.

Sandwich i cant believe you called me a carbon whore....
That defo not me.hahahaa

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I aint worry about it though,You only have one life and If thats the way I am too go may it be.
Your in denial mate, wait until your 15 years older, got some kids and then the doc breaks the news to you about your impending slow, painful death.
Post back here when you get the news so we can all larf at you:banana:

As for carbon, like any other dust, when you cut it wear a mask? What a concept.

Everyone knows the real cause of cancer is talc powder.