Quantcast

carbon getting brittle

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
is it true that carbon gets brittle after a few years? coz if its true it would really blow... time to replace my 02 d2 with a 06 one. :D :drool:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
as long as the carbon outside and the inner foam are ok the helmet should be fine,i replaced my carbon d2 when i cracked it along the weave

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's kind of an interesting question because almost ALL synthetic polymers break down in various degrees under UV light. I'd like to know what, if any degradation goes on with the carbon fiber used on helmets after a few years of heavy sunlight. I've never seen it mentioned with regards to bike parts.

When I used to row crew, we had some carbon oars that started to get a little foggy after a few years but I never heard of them ever being compromised structurally.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the foam inside is cracked, and its shaking around in the shell, and suddently all my dh runs feel like i am on a rigid bike. :dead:

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well on a helmet I have no idea, but I did read some article a while back in MBA(I know i know) and it had the lifespans on certain bike materials aka steel, aluminum, carbon. I personally wouldn't ride a carbon bike for more than 2 years because I'm a hack and have a strait line style.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
well if the foam is cracking its time for a new one,and 4 years is not bad.
I know some who bought a brand new 2005 flame d2 carbon at the start of the season and had used the helmet for 3 or 4 runs and face planted a rock garden and totally ****ed the helmet

Dexter D

Chimp
Jun 1, 2005
kidwoo said:
It's kind of an interesting question because almost ALL synthetic polymers break down in various degrees under UV light. I'd like to know what, if any degradation goes on with the carbon fiber used on helmets after a few years of heavy sunlight. I've never seen it mentioned with regards to bike parts.

When I used to row crew, we had some carbon oars that started to get a little foggy after a few years but I never heard of them ever being compromised structurally.
You are absolutely correct... Carbon when left exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time will break down, same with kevlar. However, they fail in very different ways. The way around this is to paint the carbon vs. clearcoat. In the 90's there were many catastrophic failures of carbon structures in Americas Cup and Ocean Sailing (75+ foot boats) due to sun degragation. Lightweight carbon Olympic masts get pitched on a regular basis due to this problem.

To answer the question yes, but I do not think that is is as big an issue for something that isn't sitting in the sun all the time.

As far as being briddle, this is more a function of the preasure used when builing the object to pull the resin through the carbon weave cloth. The more suction and less resin left in the cloth the lighter weight and more briddle. Lower suction and more resin left in the cloth yields a higher weight but more longevity.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You can test how much the carbon has degarded from UV through the following process:
1. Put the helmet on.
2. Look downward.
3. Run until something stops allowing you to run.
4. Take the helmet off
5. Inspect for cracks or damage

If there are cracks or damage, it is time for a new helmet.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Rule of thumb from all major helmet manufacturers: replace your lid every three years. PSF deteriorates over time.

You know how you can't see the wear that's taken place on your cables and housing, but you replace them twice a year (or more) anyway? Your cable housing protects your shifting so you take care of it. Your helmet protects your brain.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
dhkid said:
the foam inside is cracked, and its shaking around in the shell, and suddently all my dh runs feel like i am on a rigid bike. :dead:
If the foam is cracked its time for a new lid!

The foam is the stuff that actually protects your brain, the outer shell just holds it all together and protects your head from spiky stuff and grinding your face off!

Any impact that has damaged the foam will have damaged the outer shell even if you cant see it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ohio said:
You can test how much the carbon has degarded from UV through the following process:
1. Put the helmet on.
2. Look downward.
3. Run until something stops allowing you to run.
4. Take the helmet off
5. Inspect for cracks or damage

If there are cracks or damage, it is time for a new helmet.
Sweeeeeeet! :D

Now some brain challenged wing nut is going to sue ohio for making him break his neck. lol

I think dhkid is jsut looking for an excuse to get a new lid......:think:

Rhino: Yes dhkid, you NEED to get a new helmet. Old helmets also can lead to male impotence.

dhkid: Is it true Rhinofromwa? Will old carbon fiber make me impotent?

Rhino: Well, I am not willing to take that chance. Are you?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
anyways, i have emailed TLD and its 113 usd for a crash replacement. i will do it as soon as the 06 models are out. just wish that i could kep my old lid. :(

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
dhkid said:
anyways, i have emailed TLD and its 113 usd for a crash replacement. i will do it as soon as the 06 models are out. just wish that i could kep my old lid. :(

You might want to double-check that the $113 price is going to be availalble for the '06 helmets.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
dhkid said:
Is that for a fully crashed/destroyed helmet or just one that you've been riding in for a couple years? That's a rad deal for a new D2