Quantcast

Casey Anthony

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
We've been fruitlessly searching for irony all over the Lounge when here it was all the time. With the spectre of the death penalty hovering around this case jurors were obviously spooked at the prospect of finding beyond a reasonable doubt that this woman killed her kid. So in their desire to appear tougher and tougher on crime politicians see some criminals go free because jurors feel the stakes are too high. Perfect irony.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We've been fruitlessly searching for irony all over the Lounge when here it was all the time. With the spectre of the death penalty hovering around this case jurors were obviously spooked at the prospect of finding beyond a reasonable doubt that this woman killed her kid. So in their desire to appear tougher and tougher on crime politicians see some criminals go free because jurors feel the stakes are too high. Perfect irony.
not quite... problem here was that prosecution went after her for 1st degree murder. Here in the US, that means they had to prove not only that she did it (the killing), but that it was also premidated / planned. Obviously they weren't able to do that. Second degree or manslaughter would have gotten a conviction.

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
not quite... problem here was that prosecution went after her for 1st degree murder. Here in the US, that means they had to prove not only that she did it (the killing), but that it was also premidated / planned. Obviously they weren't able to do that. Second degree or manslaughter would have gotten a conviction.
Some juries acquit in capital murder cases because they feel the burden of sending a person to death row is too great to bear. I find that ironic in a general sense. The desire to be tough in crime backfired spectacularly in this case highlighting the stupidity of mandatory sentencing, three strikes laws and throw-away-the-key mentalities. Revenge should never be a factor in the prosecution of the justice system.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some juries acquit in capital murder cases because they feel the burden of sending a person to death row is too great to bear. I find that ironic in a general sense. The desire to be tough in crime backfired spectacularly in this case highlighting the stupidity of mandatory sentencing, three strikes laws and throw-away-the-key mentalities. Revenge should never be a factor in the prosecution of the justice system.
Revenge, anger and reactionary outrage are the basis of the American justice system. I recently drove through Michigan and they have signs saying that if a driver kills a construction worker they get something like a 10+ year jail sentence. Seeing as though most accidents are just that, it seems a little extreme. Forget driver training, strict licensing requirements or proper work safety regulations, put up an orange cone and a sign and ruin two lives if an accident occurs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
do you actually know anything about the case? or did you just read a local headline that said "stupid round eyes kills child"?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
do you actually know anything about the case? or did you just read a local headline that said "stupid round eyes kills child"?
Writing stupid is redundant. What should I know that you feel I missed? She was tried for capital murder, was she not? The prosecutor obvoiusly got his/her ambition mixed up with the realities of the alleged crime. The only surprising thing to me is that this doesn't happen more often as any person who has any moral worth whatsoever would never vote guilty in any capital case. It's a fundamental principle that the punishment should fit the crime and the death penalty is NEVER a suitable punishment.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Writing stupid is redundant. What should I know that you feel I missed? She was tried for capital murder, was she not? The prosecutor obvoiusly got his/her ambition mixed up with the realities of the alleged crime. The only surprising thing to me is that this doesn't happen more often as any person who has any moral worth whatsoever would never vote guilty in any capital case. It's a fundamental principle that the punishment should fit the crime and the death penalty is NEVER a suitable punishment.
it had nothing to do with the death penalty, sentencing occurs as a mostly separate process after the trial.

she was not tried for capital murder, we don't have that here. she was tried for first degree murder, which is killing someone, and planning to do it in advance ("premeditation"). second degree murder does not have the stipulation of premeditation.

so it had nothing to do with the jury feeling bad about the dealth penatly. they didn't convict her because they weren't able to prove that she had planned to do it.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
it had nothing to do with the death penalty, sentencing occurs as a mostly separate process after the trial.

she was not tried for capital murder, we don't have that here. she was tried for first degree murder, which is killing someone, and planning to do it in advance ("premeditation"). second degree murder does not have the stipulation of premeditation.

so it had nothing to do with the jury feeling bad about the dealth penatly. they didn't convict her because they weren't able to prove that she had planned to do it.
Don't be disingenuous. Do you have any doubt that had she been found guilty as charged she wouldn't have faced the death penalty? As far as I'm concerned the deliberations of the jury are and should remain secret. I think it's more than likely you are correct in your assumption that the jury didn't convict because the prosecution didn't prove its case. By definition you are correct but it's naive to think juries shouldn't consider the ramifications of a guilty verdict in a capital case. In fact I could think of few decisions a person could face that would require more consideration.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It would depend on the particular circumstance. Morality is by definition a personal, ongoing journey.
so if a kiddie rapist/murderer is sentenced to life in prison and two or three years down the line you read about him getting shanked to death.....

you don't........

smile......

just a little......and say.....deserved it?:D

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
so if a kiddie rapist/murderer is sentenced to life in prison and two or three years down the line you read about him getting shanked to death.....

you don't........

smile......

just a little......and say.....deserved it?:D
I don't lose sleep but I don't smile about it. I personally find the idea of jail justice faintly ridiculous. Money talks in jail as much as it does anywhere else, kiddie fiddlers will be protected if they can pay, the same as anyone.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ohio is passing legislation to eliminate jail time for a lot of non-violent crimes. Studies showed that even short stints in the pokey actually increased the likelihood of someone committing another crime and significantly increased the odds of them committing a violent crime.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Some juries acquit in capital murder cases because they feel.
couldn't have said it better
valve bouncer said:
In this case I would describe anyone who could vote guilty in a capital case as morally worthless.
and by extension, the prosecutor? the system that has capital punishment as an accessible option? the judge who fails to overturn the verdict?

odd sense of justice you have, but you have

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Studies showed that even short stints in the pokey actually increased the likelihood of someone committing another crime and significantly increased the odds of them committing a violent crime.
state funded fistulas tend to evoke that

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
and by extension, the prosecutor? the system that has capital punishment as an accessible option? the judge who fails to overturn the verdict?
Obviously, anyone who facilitates and is responsible for carrying out the death penalty is morally vacant.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Obviously, anyone who facilitates and is responsible for carrying out the death penalty is morally vacant.
so it would seem that those who carry out killing w/o due process are even moreso.

and it would then be fair to say anyone who seeks employment where killing is part of their job description must also fit into that mold. people like cops & soldiers

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Therefore is the person being put to death morally superior? Even in the light of the crimes he/she commited to warrant said death sentence?
turn the other cheek motherfvcker.....

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I got this gut feeling she's going to come to a bad end after some bad years.
Big party... passes out and chokes on her own vomit/tongue.:thumb:
That would be irony.

I would KILL to go to that party tonight. - DONE
I am DYING to go to that party tonight - Soon

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
So some scumbag rapes my little girl and I slit his throat because I have no faith in our justice system to dole out appropriate punishment--hereby making me morally vacant. Interesting.... Gonna have to disagree with you man. I think of myself as a pretty "moral" person and I am pretty sure that most people would be like me and kill the person who killed/raped/molested their child if given the opportunity; especially if knowing that they would not be prosecuted for it (to account for those who wouldn't leave a spouse or other children behind while going to prison).