Quantcast

Cassette and spoke issues that plague a biking n00b.

Hyper

Chimp
Jul 31, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site, and to the mountain biking world. First off, I hope I posted in the right forum, if not, please don't kill me.

Anyway, several days ago, I was doing some mountain biking. I went down hill in a high gear, and then skipped 3 gears to keep my speed while going up a long up hill. Durning this gear change I put too much pressure on my back cassette and twisted two gears. Now whenever I am in 3 or 4 the chain skips because its pushed.

Here is a reference image:

Now my question is, how do I fix it? I don't want to hammer it since I could screw it up. How much does an 8 gear cassette run? How do you replace it? (I don't have any fancy bike tools) Is this repairable under REI's waranty?

My second question is regarding my spoke, which popped out.

Where can I get a single spoke from? Should I just flat the tire, and remove this one and just carry on? Is it dangerous to drive without one spoke ? How do you cap the spoke?

In case you need to know, I ride a 2005 Marin Hawk Hill SE. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Z.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Try to bend it back using some pliers. No clue about warranty, but I doubt it as that is user error.

The spoke will require you to remove the cassette as well as the tire. There is a rim strip(rubber/cloth/electrical tape in a pinch) that covers the spoke holes. Replace the spoke($1) and retrue the rim.

Tools required are a cassette lockring remover, a chainwhip, and a spoke wrench. You can get the tools for probably around $25. Depending on the shop is probably going to charge at least $20 to do the repair.

If you don't have the time or money just unscrew the spoke and you can ride the rim. Since you have disc brakes a little wobble won't matter too much. It will probably permanently warp the rim and make it rather difficult to true up.

Welcome to mountain biking.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. The cassette looks like toast. Bent cogs are not fixable. Also keep in mind that the teeth are not perfectly straight, but slightly bent for better shifting. Your cassette does look toasty.

I would look to replace it, probably with $40-50 cassette. Shimano and SRAM make more expensive, even for 8 speed, but $50 should be a strong but slightly heavy cassette.

2. Your spoke did not "pop out". It broke. Spoke breakge is a combination of hard riding and neglect. If you maintain your wheel true, it will help to prevent breakage, particularily on new wheels.

Replacing a spoke is not a simple matter unless you know how to true a wheel. If you just start tightening spokes randomly, you could destroy the wheel.

If you start reading up and then get some one-on-one advice, you should be able to learn how to true a wheel. I would probably head to the Local Bike Shop and have them take care of it.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I wouldn't recommend riding with a missing spoke. When you lose a spoke it puts extra tension on the remaining spokes and spreads it unevenly. It's pretty easy to screw up a wheel under those conditions. Riding it back to the car or home is one thing, but I wouldn't continue to ride it.

Hyper

Chimp
Jul 31, 2005
Atlanta, GA
BikeGeek said:
I wouldn't recommend riding with a missing spoke. When you lose a spoke it puts extra tension on the remaining spokes and spreads it unevenly. It's pretty easy to screw up a wheel under those conditions. Riding it back to the car or home is one thing, but I wouldn't continue to ride it.
that sounds pretty bad
i guess ill stay away from that
thanks for the headsup

sanjuro said:
1. The cassette looks like toast. Bent cogs are not fixable. Also keep in mind that the teeth are not perfectly straight, but slightly bent for better shifting. Your cassette does look toasty.

I would look to replace it, probably with $40-50 cassette. Shimano and SRAM make more expensive, even for 8 speed, but $50 should be a strong but slightly heavy cassette.

2. Your spoke did not "pop out". It broke. Spoke breakge is a combination of hard riding and neglect. If you maintain your wheel true, it will help to prevent breakage, particularily on new wheels.

Replacing a spoke is not a simple matter unless you know how to true a wheel. If you just start tightening spokes randomly, you could destroy the wheel.

If you start reading up and then get some one-on-one advice, you should be able to learn how to true a wheel. I would probably head to the Local Bike Shop and have them take care of it.
i guess i need to find out how much REI charges for a 11-32 8 gear cassette ..

Wumpus said:
Try to bend it back using some pliers. No clue about warranty, but I doubt it as that is user error.

The spoke will require you to remove the cassette as well as the tire. There is a rim strip(rubber/cloth/electrical tape in a pinch) that covers the spoke holes. Replace the spoke($1) and retrue the rim.

Tools required are a cassette lockring remover, a chainwhip, and a spoke wrench. You can get the tools for probably around $25. Depending on the shop is probably going to charge at least $20 to do the repair.

If you don't have the time or money just unscrew the spoke and you can ride the rim. Since you have disc brakes a little wobble won't matter too much. It will probably permanently warp the rim and make it rather difficult to true up.

Welcome to mountain biking.
i tried to bend it back but is hard as hell ... almost impossible witout putting too much force on it

darn, so it looks like no matter what i have to spend money :|

i dont want to ruin my bike since i cannot afford another one, i guess ill take it up to REI and bitch about it ... thanks on the reply

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You should ask (not complain) for a warranty. I thought more about it, and you might get a replacement. Probably this is an opportunity to buy a better cassette. Mountain biking is all about replacement/upgrading

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
One note:

Spokes breaking is a cumulative thing, uneven or low tension lets the spoke cycle through stresses at a greater rate, leading to fatigue at the elbow (where yours snapped).

Ususally it just "happens", even if your not doing any heavy riding at the time. This is a result from overall poor tension.

Keeping your wheels up to the proper tension will make tham last longer and reduce this kind of thing. I am going to assume you missed having them re-trued after break-in.

If this is a 2005 I would assume that REI will do some free adjustments in the first year? Get the spoke replaced and have BOTH wheels looked at by a good mech. Have the rear one completely re-tensioned and both wheels brought to optimum tension.

As far as the rear cassette, thats just plain 'ol gear mashing user error. Get a upgrade and shift carefully. Have your chain looked at to make sure you didn't tweak any links in the process.

Good luck.

Hyper

Chimp
Jul 31, 2005
Atlanta, GA
sanjuro said:
You should ask (not complain) for a warranty. I thought more about it, and you might get a replacement. Probably this is an opportunity to buy a better cassette. Mountain biking is all about replacement/upgrading
yeah it looks like i had to find that out the hard way
hehe

but REI fixed my bike for free
the cassette was bent back and the spoke was replaced

Hyper

Chimp
Jul 31, 2005
Atlanta, GA
H8R said:
One note:

Spokes breaking is a cumulative thing, uneven or low tension lets the spoke cycle through stresses at a greater rate, leading to fatigue at the elbow (where yours snapped).

Ususally it just "happens", even if your not doing any heavy riding at the time. This is a result from overall poor tension.

Keeping your wheels up to the proper tension will make tham last longer and reduce this kind of thing. I am going to assume you missed having them re-trued after break-in.

If this is a 2005 I would assume that REI will do some free adjustments in the first year? Get the spoke replaced and have BOTH wheels looked at by a good mech. Have the rear one completely re-tensioned and both wheels brought to optimum tension.

As far as the rear cassette, thats just plain 'ol gear mashing user error. Get a upgrade and shift carefully. Have your chain looked at to make sure you didn't tweak any links in the process.

Good luck.

i went by REI and they fixed it up
the technician fixed the spoke and retensioned the rest on the back wheel
he inspected my deraliers and chain
and he bent back the cassette

all is well now ! :D

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
sanjuro said:
Also, good luck with your "warranty". We call that "user head space error".
you mean "head space and timming"? thats a military term for adjusting an M2 .50cal machine gun to run properly. doubt many ppl will get the irony of the phrase.

have the spoke replaced at a LBS if you dont know how to remove it, price a cassette while you're there. overlap should make installing the new part nearly the same price due to the fact they have to remove it anyways. also paying for the labor should be a slight bargining chip twords the cost of the part, if it were me when i was working in the "back" when i got out of the army to kill time before school started id hook a poor bastard up like you cant imagine. id RAPE the dumb bastards with stacks of cash and if i knew you were a broke dick just trying to ride his bike and were humble and polite enough. you were set...
guy came in smellin like french fries workin at the mall with a bent wheel and a ragged old Ralleigh. he had the cables off saying he was going to replace them when he could afford to. his wheel was junk to begin with and bent beyond repair, i tried. pulled a cheap wheel off the shelf, told him trying to true his wheel was $25 shop labor, and a new one was $30. said id wave the attempt and just sell him the wheel and put it on. he said he'd try to get the money over the next day and ask his mom for annother $5. i spent the next like 2 hours digging through bins of old take off parts and various stuff and built old boys bike the best i could, new cables, left over take off brakes off something old. guy even got a used Indy suspension fork that was scratched but worked. i saw him comming and intercepted him before he made it to the counter. told him to pay for his wheel, and just walk out happy. he looked at me puzzled. told him to trust me on this one. rolled his bike out payed my supervisor and the sh!t eating grin was worth my efforts. i knew that was his only ride to work at the ripe age of like 17 and possibly mentally challenged a tad and the fact that he was humble. had he been an obnoxious prick ida sold him the new wheel for $50. additude is everything, act adult.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Hyper said:
i went by REI and they fixed it up
the technician fixed the spoke and retensioned the rest on the back wheel
he inspected my deraliers and chain
and he bent back the cassette

all is well now ! :D
nevermind, beat me to the punch.