Quantcast

cassette lockring - how tight is too tight?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I swapped cassettes between 2 of my bikes tonight - first time I've done it. When reinstalling the lockring, how tight is to tight? Or the better question is, how tight should the lockring be? Both hubs seem to be spinning fine, but I'm not sure a tight/loose lockring would have any bearing on that.

The park site says "at least 360 inch-pounds" I don't have a torque wrench, so that doesn't do me any good... but the "at least" part makes me think that, with in reason, it can't be too tight. So I'm thinking it should be more than finger tightened... but is good and snug tight enough, or should I really yank on it and get it about as tight as I can?

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
yea when i realized what the torque specs were my eyes popped out of my head

but yea pretty much its how tight you can get it with a wrench

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
captainpolution said:
but yea pretty much its how tight you can get it with a wrench
360 inch pounds is only 30 ft-pounds, and I can get things a lot tighter than 30 ft pounds with a wrench.

Jackson, if things are well greased and you're not a gorilla, you can torque stuff down pretty tight without stressing too much about it. However, a torque wrench is cheap insurance, seeing as you can obtain one for less than $30 from your local hardware store. I have a ft-pound wrench, and for items that must be measured in inch-pounds (i.e. things less than about 24 in-lbs), I'm pretty gentle so the torque wrench is less necessary :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
360 inch pounds is only 30 ft-pounds, and I can get things a lot tighter than 30 ft pounds with a wrench.
Yea, I torqued it down pretty hard at first, and it didn't seem to spin freely - no noise (not grinding or anything), just felt like there was drag. I loosened it up until it felt free and called it good enough.

Now that I'm getting into wrenching, I'm going to be spending a fair amount of money on shop type stuff as I have the extra cash - tools (including a torque wrench), lubes/grease, and I'll probably pick up a copy of Zin for quick reference.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
binary visions said:

Jackson, if things are well greased and you're not a gorilla, you can torque stuff down pretty tight without stressing too much about it. However, a torque wrench is cheap insurance, seeing as you can obtain one for less than $30 from your local hardware store. I have a ft-pound wrench, and for items that must be measured in inch-pounds (i.e. things less than about 24 in-lbs), I'm pretty gentle so the torque wrench is less necessary :D
woah woah mr.muscle. lol yea i meant like a 3 inch long wrench, but i dont even use wrenches and i dont even do it hard. i was smokin crack or somethin when i posted this lol

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I can't see any reason why they should be done up past "firm". Cranking down hard on them only makes them harder to get off, I run mine at maybe 1/8th of a turn past fingertight and never have any issues.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
GumbaFish said:
you dont need to tighten it up too much...it will tighten more as you ride. They are a SOB to get off if they are really stuck as well.
I spent 5 minutes cursing while trying to loosen the lockring on one of my wheels last nite.

J

JRB

I tighten the hell out of mine. Never have a problem.

*I'll add - I don't know anyone that carries a lock ring tool, so coming loose one the trail is a deal breaker.