Quantcast

Catalytic converter cost?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
yer getting RIPPED OFF if they told you that price! A grand for CC? That's nuts! You can get a brand new generic one and have Mineke put it on for you dirt cheap dude. I did that with my 20 year old car that I can't get anything for anymore. And my problem, one off engine for one year for one model. Try finding THAT in a junk yard!

This is what I got and my car passed with flying colors with it. Got Mineke to put it on. Only cost me $77 bucks for the Cat. Was like a hundred to fit it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Universal-Catalytic-Converter-MagnaFlow_16120079-P_N3333B_P|GRP2023P____

And here's the one that's a direct fit for your vehicle. If you're any good with a bike, you should be able to get under your car on a pair of ramps and chocks and put it on yourself.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Catalytic-Converter---ULTRA-Direct-Fit-Walker_26010251-P_145_R|GRPEXHAAMS_1396904009___

That one is for your vehicle. Do it yourself. Save dough.

And yes, you can thank me for helping you out by giving some rep. :rofl: Which I'm sure you absolutely would LOVE to give me for giving you such great links to HELP YOU. It's in my nice guy human nature.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
yer getting RIPPED OFF if they told you that price! A grand for CC? That's nuts! You can get a brand new generic one and have Mineke put it on for you dirt cheap dude. I did that with my 20 year old car that I can't get anything for anymore. And my problem, one off engine for one year for one model. Try finding THAT in a junk yard!

This is what I got and my car passed with flying colors with it. Got Mineke to put it on. Only cost me $77 bucks for the Cat. Was like a hundred to fit it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Universal-Catalytic-Converter-MagnaFlow_16120079-P_N3333B_P|GRP2023P____

And here's the one that's a direct fit for your vehicle. If you're any good with a bike, you should be able to get under your car on a pair of ramps and chocks and put it on yourself.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Catalytic-Converter---ULTRA-Direct-Fit-Walker_26010251-P_145_R|GRPEXHAAMS_1396904009___

That one is for your vehicle. Do it yourself. Save dough.

And yes, you can thank me for helping you out by giving some rep. :rofl: Which I'm sure you absolutely would LOVE to give me for giving you such great links to HELP YOU. It's in my nice guy human nature.

One... this isnt a 20 year old car.... The cats on it are alot different... read up a bit... this one will be usng platinum and palladium..... that equals costly.

Alot of those "direct" fit cats..... are not direct fit, they may bolt into place, but they are not doing the job they are supposed to. May work good enough to turn the light off..... but not good enough to pass emmissions....

There is way mroe to catalytic converters than people realize. how clean the tailpipe needs to be for the actual test, how fast the elements in them get to operating tempurature, what temp they need to be to start working, two stage, three stage, stoke type, non stoke type, total temp gained during process, .....

Here is the part that will really screw with ya.... welding a cat in improerly can really screw things up, if its too far down the line, wont heat up fast enough nor stay hot, to far up the line you can see it burn up..........

Its not just a throw it in and it works job, there really is quite a bit of science behind what is actually going on inside the cat..... Really want to screw with your head..... check out the new types coming on cars.... Electric heaters inside of them, evap system inside of them..... captures unburnt fuel untill it warms up....... these bastiges will be an insane price whent hey need to be repalces.... we are talking multi thousand dollars a peice for these bad boys.....

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Schools of study for great money.

Doctor Degree
Rocket Science Degree.
Eye Doctor Degree
Nuclear Physicist Degree
Catalytic Converter placement Degree.
Says the guy who doesn't understand the most basic principles of bike geometry.

Try it now, foo.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Schools of study for great money.

Doctor Degree
Rocket Science Degree.
Eye Doctor Degree
Nuclear Physicist Degree
Catalytic Converter placement Degree.
Automotive is what I do for a living every day, I am master certified technition with a degree. I go to further training classes at least every three months, and do everything I can to keep up with the ever changing designs of automotive.

I also charge a hundred dollars an hour for labor.... so I keep in tip top professional shape not only with my work but info as well.

Only way to do it, is the right way.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Well, if you weld it, I can see you need to have experience. But if he were to buy one that fits the original, pull the old one off, put a new one back in the same exact spot, I don't see why he needs to blow almost a grand on it. I did it dirt cheaply myself on two cars. All I'm sayin... As to not fitting, some pushing and pulling like the muffler shop does and mine fit and passed emissions. Just trying to save him $900. And you do note, no attacking tone in my comment. Just stating what my experience has been.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well, if you weld it, I can see you need to have experience. But if he were to buy one that fits the original, pull the old one off, put a new one back in the same exact spot, I don't see why he needs to blow almost a grand on it. I did it dirt cheaply myself on two cars. All I'm sayin... As to not fitting, some pushing and pulling like the muffler shop does and mine fit and passed emissions. Just trying to save him $900. And you do note, no attacking tone in my comment. Just stating what my experience has been.
Because emmissions laws and limits are getting more and mroe strict everyday. I am seeing more and mroe aftermarket cats that will not pass the tailpipe test. While they bolt in just fine, they just do not do the job needed to pass emmissions.

I was also.... stating what my experience is.

As to why the cost was a grand.... look at the second part you have listed.. cost of 339... Now do the math when it comes to a retail sale.... double that and add labor.

thats right, hits a grand really fast that way, thats how ALL retail works, most everything is sold for twice what it costs<with exception>.

Now that is not a rule, but a very good rule of thumb. Here is the real kicker with a cat.... you install your own and i isnt up to par, your out the cost, have a shop do it...... You have warranty. Yes I saw the five year warranty listed, but that does not guarantee that your vehicle will pass with that part, just that it will hold up to their standards.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Well I'm buying a new car the next time my catalytic converter goes up cuz I'm not paying a grand for a new one. That's nuts! I had a choice of a bolt up on my 20 year old car or weld in that was like 70 bucks. They put the weld in on mine. Ran like $360. The bolt on I think was more and I would have had to get under the car and cus and bang and push and pull so I went the weld route.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well I'm buying a new car the next time my catalytic converter goes up cuz I'm not paying a grand for a new one. That's nuts! I had a choice of a bolt up on my 20 year old car or weld in that was like 70 bucks. They put the weld in on mine. Ran like $360. The bolt on I think was more and I would have had to get under the car and cus and bang and push and pull so I went the weld route.
Yeah on a 20 year old car...... universals work great, they moved them from a pellet type, to a honeycomb type, that move in itself made them cleaner.......

Youll **** yourself when you see how much the newset electronicly heated cats are. They are great chamebred like a charcoal canister to catch any unburnt fuel until the cat is warm enough, then it sucks that exhaust back in to properly catalyze it...... on top of that the electric heater to heat it up extremly fast......

Cant wait to see the price tags on these bad boys..... Of yeah for those interested.... most every car 2010 has these ones.....Usually in pairs

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If we could switch over to alcohol fuel we wouldn't have to pollute the earth anymore or need a converter. I take it natural gas would burn clean too.
Well... thats all fine in theory, but in both of those two systems a catalyst is still used in the exhaust to make sure none of it leaves teh tailpipe unburnt, which is one of the bigger causes of pollution.... unburnt, or partially burnt fuels.....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The only real fuel that doesnt have a harmfull emmission.... hydrgen. you burnt it, you combine two hyrdogen atoms, with one oxygen atom...... Problem... too much stigma as to it being dangerous.....

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The only ral fuel that doesnt have a harmfull emmission.... hydrgen. you burnt it, you combine two hyrdogen atoms, with one oxygen atom...... Problem... too much stigma as to it being dangerous.....
That's not the *only* problem with hydrogen as a fuel...
Yeah, as in how do you get it? Burn some coal to generate electricity that you then use to split water? :rofl:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah, as in how do you get it? Burn some coal to generate electricity that you then use to split water? :rofl:
Yeah... I was only stating it was the only true clean burning fuel.... not that it was clean to produce............

I still stand stand by my belief that the fuels of the future will be Bio deisel, and ethanol