Quantcast

Cavendish Claims First Win of the Season in Oman

Oct 20, 2009
<p>HTC-Highroad's Mark Cavendish has clinched his first win of the 2011 season in the final stage of the Tour of Oman from Qurayat to Mattrah Seafront.</p><p>
</p><p>
Cavendish powered his S-Works Tarmac SL3 across the line ahead of Russia's Denis Galimzyanov and Italy's Andrea Guardini at the end of the 157 kilometer stage to claim a bunch sprint victory.</p><p>
</p><p>
The British sprinter's win was HTC-Highroad's second victory in the 2011 Tour of Oman, after team-mate Matt Goss took Stage 2, also wearing the leader's jersey for two days.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Everyone tries to go for the win in races like this so it's a bit hectic," Cavendish said afterwards, "But it was great, I had [team-mates] Hayden Roulston and Matt Goss looking after me in the finish, and they did a good job holding onto me and I did a good job holding onto them all the way through."</p><p>
</p><p>
"Goss went at the end, I left a gap then went for it myself. It was difficult with the wind, but it all worked perfectly."</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's always good to get the first victory of the year, too, it didn't work out the other day but now I've got it and I'm happy."</p><p>
</p><p>
Following Cavendish's latest win, the HTC-Highroad men's team has now taken eleven victories this season.</p>

More...