Quantcast

CCCX #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Booyah, Grandma.

Got a new chain, chainring, and cassette for the Zumbi. And some flat pedals and 510's (Uh-OH!).

I'll be there. Om nom nom nom nom...

And this time, I'll try to keep my feet on the pedals instead of trying to do a no-footer passed the camera man. :)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Haha probably a good idea dude. =]

I am so there. I am debating if I should just take the big bike for fun or not. Or should I really take the snyper to be as competitive as possible... hmm...

I might also be rocking a Leatt brace this weekend too.

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Dang... I might have to try on your Leatt. For safety reasons, I'm thinking of getting one for my summer I plan to spend at Northstar....

...wife willing. ;)

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
The family will be in town that weekend so no race for me.One day I will get out there, this I swear!What model brace are you guys looking at?Looks like they range form about 225 to 600 bucks,which is why I never got one before.I wonder if the three of us all buy at the same time we could swing a deal?We could be team Santa Cruz DH sport super duper mafia rider guys!Btw Mike can I call ya on tues. to talk knee pads?

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Btw Mike can I call ya on tues. to talk knee pads?

Gross.

You guys need to keep the personal ads in the buy and sell section. :twitch:

Oh yeah, I think I'll be there. We're probably going to skip this fontana so we can hit the cal state race there next weekend instead, so I'll be in town.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I could definitely be in for a Leatt brace.

The cheap Leatt "style" brace is the Evo brace (non-Leatt brand). They offer no head-mobility, and as I'm told, offer no adjustability. Hence, they are horrible for DH riding. The Leatt brace we'd all want is the one with adjustability and good range of motion. Funny we're talking about this, cuz' I was just looking them up online this morning.

I believe the one we want is the Leatt GPX. The Kart and Moto R both have rearward-neck motion issues for DH mountain bikers. You can see how high the back portion of the brace sticks up on both models. The back of your helmet makes contact with the brace and doesn't allow you to tilt your head back far enough to look up. Imagine hitting a steep rock roll-in, or a steep anything, and looking down at your tire instead of looking up at the ground in front of you. SCARY.

The GPX Club usually sells for a little under $400 ($395 on their website). The Sport is usually $595. The Sport if c/f, while the club is glass reinforced nylon. I believe they are pretty much the same other than the lighter weight. Can anyone verify this?

Toddy... give me a ring today about knee pads. I need to order mine soon. My current ones are falling apart.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
As for the group buy, I am working on it currently and I am waiting on an official word from my connections. =]

It looks like we have a choice from the Adventure and Club.

Adventure:

Some kid wearing the adventure to show head movement:

Club:

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I could definitely be in for a Leatt brace.

Toddy... give me a ring today about knee pads. I need to order mine soon. My current ones are falling apart.
Yo SC Sport DH Mafia, if you want some softies look at the 661 Evo's. Very comfy, I have worn them for 3+ hour rides w/ no issues. I have dumped it going fast and they didn't move. Not super durable/protective for real DH use however, hard shells are superior.

The booger will be racing this Sunday, be warned!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, I'm liking my 661 kyle straits. Best fit kneepad I've worn, and they got the shell for dumping it in the rocks.

Booger- what class are you racing?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
As for the group buy, I am working on it currently and I am waiting on an official word from my connections. =]

It looks like we have a choice from the Adventure and Club.

Adventure:

Some kid wearing the adventure to show head movement:

Club:
As I'm told, the Club had the ability to "tilt" the back portion of the brace down, to allow DH riders the ability to look up with a full face helmet. But I think that the Adventure doesn't have this option.

I might be wrong, though.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
As I'm told, the Club had the ability to "tilt" the back portion of the brace down, to allow DH riders the ability to look up with a full face helmet. But I think that the Adventure doesn't have this option.

I might be wrong, though.
Yeah I think that was what I have heard. The pictures I attached were of a kid with the adventure showing the range he has with looking up with the helmet off compared to on. Looks about the same to me.

But I agree, I think the club might be the way to go if it has the extra movement available.

Booger, looks like we are racing each other this weekend. SCDHSM for life. Watch out, I might crash in front of you or hold you up with my Sport speed. =P haha

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Booger- It sounds like you're up on your super d skillz; that's pretty much all cccx is. Def not 1999 Mammoth.

Josh- I was under the impression that the adventure was sorta heavy and not very adjustable

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah I don't know much about the adventure. I am down to drop a little more coin for the Club version. Especially if its lighter and more adjustable.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I don't know about weight, but I just got confirmation back from my buddy who helps out at RideSFO that the Adventure has no adjustability, and can cause problems with rearward head mobility.

Looks like the Club would be the way to go. :)

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Sounds good.

And just for reference, this is a photo of the Moto GPX Club. As you can see, the screws on the back allow the back neck portion on sliders to move up and down. In the lower position, it will allow our Crazy-DH-manly-man heads to tilt back, so off of those super steep rocks, we can still see.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Ok everyone interested in the brace, we are all interested in the GPX Club.

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php?page_id=51&msg_id=154&id=3#154

I need to know sizes for everyone and if you are actually serious on picking one up. It looks like its either a small or medium size. Doesn't look like Leatt sells them in a large size.

People who are in for sure:
Me - Medium
Todd - Medium
Mike - Medium
Dom - Medium

People who need to let me know:
Brian -
Kelly -
Mikes friend #2 -
Ben -

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Talked to my buddy Dom. Dom can be better labeled as "Mike's friend #1". I also sent out an email to a few other people to see if anyone wants one. I'll post up on DSCycling.org too.

I talked to my buddy Grant at RideSFO, and he says that the small size are for 14 year old kids and women. So all of us guys would be looking to get a Medium Moto GPX Club.

Joshy, put me down for a Medium. Put Dom down for a Medium as well.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Course 2 description is up.

DH Course #2- It has been very dry recently at Toro Park, and with rain in the forecast Saturday night the dirt could be perfect for racing on Sunday. The course starts out on a fast gradual fire road which spits riders into a tight-twisting single track. There has been trail work done on the berms in the turns, and this will make for some railing speeds in trail transition areas. Then there is a drop off section which leads to a power check riser where pedaling force is tested. Next are some drop in portions of the trail where breaking and line choice come into play. This is followed by a tight single track leading to a high speed fire road section. Which is then followed by more single track and more fire road sections leading to a high speed finish. This course tests a riders turning, breaking and power output over 4 minutes of fun riding Toro Park trails.

Curious what course this one is... I know its not the long one...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I've only done a few courses, so I'm always confused which one it's going to be.

I'm super stoked either way.

...wait. I think I know which one this might be.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Ah yes, but where from there?!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
After that it's left down the single track to a short fire road section, hard right down a slope with a slight right and then hard right on to a single track, back hard left down a slope onto another single track, onto fire road, left hand to single track, cross a fire road to off camber left, and finally right back on to fire road. BAM! :twitch:

Chainless seems like it would be fun... except running up the damn hill.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I went to the practice today. I have to say, for my first time down the course, I'm pretty impressed. I thought that everything would be flatter. Woo that it isn't!

But yeah. I'm pumped for racing. I've had a hellish quarter at school, so tomorrow will be the perfect release. I'll see you guys out there!