Quantcast

CCCX DH Race April 1st

Cheetabrian

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
CCCX DH COURSE 3 PROFILE- The race route for DH #3 will use a combination of trails from prior races at Toro Park, with a new addition or two to keep riders on edge. The start will be fast, and leads to some switchback sections that will test a riders turning prowess. After the first single track section there is a small riser that climbs for a few seconds. Then the course gets up to speed and hits a new drop in section, so be ready for this tight left hand turn, that is semi steep, and leads to a tight single track trail. Then the course opens up toward the high speed ending of the race route. The trails are in great shape and it looks to be some fun DH riding! Please note that parking will be tight, so car pool if possible and park in designated DH parking area. Also always remember to be courteous to any other park users when riding Toro Park trails. Cyclists must yield to all park users, and are lucky to be able to use this beautiful park. Race route is closed to all except CCCX racers on race day.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Worst thing for me is all the little variations on the same trail. I have to do 2 or 3 practice runs to get it in my head that we're going straight instead of right off the same corner that I had ran so many times before going right.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Sounds like an AWESOME course. I'm stoked. $10 says I won't be able to sleep the next few nights (I'm giddy like a little school girl who's going to get a new BRATZ toy).

Should be a good course. I'm all fired up.

I'll be out there to practice early on Sunday morning. Hopefully to hikes up, then some R&R and lunch, and then race.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'll be out at practice on saturday, got my sights set on finishing higher than middle of the pack this time. (I say that before trying to ride up the hill of course)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Haha yeah, im also looking for a non-middle-of-the-pack finish too. My last race made me really sad.

If you make it out sunday maybe we could meet up and get some practices in together.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Honestly. I guess thats the only bad part about the guys who put this on being XC and CX racers. Damn. Bastards. You going to the practice on Saturday Surfinguru?

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
If this is the climb I'm thinking of from one of the races I did.... It sucks!

It was cake in practice and I had to put in a couple pedal turns and could easily make it up it, but come race time with the hike and the heat, I was soooo slow going up that. That hill sucked!

We should get a petition rocking to remove it from all future races.:clapping:

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
Anyone around Santa Cruz want to carpool? I'm trying to leave a little before 8, and have room for one more person/bike. If anyone else driving down has room, I'd throw down for gas.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I think I earned "Blah" place. Haha...

4:24.--

I just have this mental block. Braking when I shouldn't, etc. Plus, that hill in the middle completely drained me. I just don't have that 4-or-5-minute-solid-sprinting ability.

Time to hit the gym for explosive type work-outs...

Congrats to Josh! Nice job on the 5th place man!

Now that I know that you're that much faster than me, I'll need to ride more often with you so I can pick up the pace a little bit.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks dude! I was so stoked to podium. It was my first time this year. Score.

That hill was pretty bad mid run. I ended up almost coming to a complete stop a couple times on the first switch back section. The first one my seat hit me in the nads super hard, then I blew the second one. Ended up doing most of the run with a stomach ache from hitting myself so damn hard.

I am going to start riding after work more often now to get more comfortable on my DH bike. Also going to start working on sprinting on my CX bike.

For sure we should go riding more together. =]

It was also nice meeting some of the other monkeys for the first time when I was out there too.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Man. CCCX is so organized, and everyone is nice.

The Otter is full of douchebags, and they can NEVER, EVER, after years and years of putting it on, seem to be even remotely organized.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I gasped and wheezed myself to 7th in sport men at 4:14. I decided that I'm going to need to get used to a 5-7min sprint if I'm going to get any faster.

And for an extra insult, my buddy had brake issues on his practice run, so he raced my bike for his race run. His time? 4:03... crap.

Damn, I'm starting to get old. 2nd place with a 4:13.32. Missed first by .01 seconds...son of a b*tch!!! The goal was under 4 minutes. Oh well. Between hiking up the hill three times, the head wind by race time and the hill at mid-course, my legs were screaming for mercy during my run.

Congrats Josh! Great result considering the shot to the nads so early in your run.

CCCx really does put on a good series. As stated, very organized and times (results) don't seem to be in question. :thumb:

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
I really need to bring some food next time. I think I lost like at least 5 seconds because I was all loopy from not eating all day. It took me a while to get into the groove in my race run, and by that time all the technical stuff was already done with.