Quantcast

CCCX DH races?

ol_cletus

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
Wha-gwan?

Me thinking bout running at the next DH race. What are the DH courses like at these CCCX races? 2 min nasty world cup course or 10 min hyped up Super D track? You need a DH bike or do people run it on trail bikes? Pass the info please. Big up Jamaica. Wha-gwan!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
a 350 to 500 # jump sounds a little drastic.... All the courses in the last season were super smooth. There was a tiny drop on one, and most have lots of water bars, but otherwise my DH bike felt like a bit much.

I'll still be riding a big travel bike, but only because I wouldn't feel as comfortable with the geo on my XC bike.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Word on the street is were racing down where we hiked up for the last races. I would bring a DH bike for that.

I run a 550 spring. But I'm not a small guy. 6'1 200lbs.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'm 6' and 160, but I rode those non-existent trails in Santa Cruz last weekend with a 500# spring, and while it felt stiff, it was still very, VERY active. It definitely made pedaling on the flats SUPER easy.

With that said... now what ye' say?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Prettym1k3 - I would bring both of your springs just in case like you said in the other thread.

Rich - The hill you had to hike up was nice and steep. High water bars, dips, and most of it was tight single track with lots of switchbacks. The soil is sandy. If they actually do it down that side of the hill there will be very little pedaling compared to the other courses from the last series. If they keep to the original side of the hill from the last series, there will be a good amount of pedaling.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
From the CCCX site. They finally put the course description up.

Race 1 DH Course- The course has been selected for race #1. It looks to be a true DH test with some railing trails that have never been used before for any cycling event. The opening is high speed, with some roller coaster like sections, where riders can really get some serious speed. There are a few blind turns where gravity will be felt as racers swoop off of hills and drops at high speeds. Then the course dips into some super tight single track trails that highlights braking and turning ability of rider and bike. Be sure and watch your speed here as it is steep and tight and there is a high possibility of over shooting some tight turns. This route looks to have perfect traction in the dirt with the past few rains, and if the weather holds up, this could be one of the sweetest DH courses around! Like in all CCCX DH races, there will be some pedaling near the end that will check your fitness and form.

Please remember to respect other Toro Park users and be thankful to the Toro Park Rangers for allowing the DH races to take place!
There is a 30 minute hike to get to the start area. Please follow direction signs to parking for the CCCX DH Event.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If they go down the hike up trail, that could get interesting on some of those switchbacks. I can think of a couple of spots that I REALLY wouldn't want to blow through a corner :D

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
If the course came down the side people hiked up it would definitely be more fun to ride... and more DH worthy, too. I wish I had my bike together:plthumbsdown: