Quantcast

CCCX DH: What bike?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I am thinking about coming down for the CCCX series from Reno.

Any thoughts on which bike?
I've got my Yeti 303, my Nomad and a Titus Motolite.

Let me know what you think.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Nomad is the perfect bike for out there.

I wish I had a 6" bike for those courses.

I'll be bringing both my F44 and my Iron Horse MkIII. I'm not too sure which one I'll be riding, but the races I've done in the past say the MkIII should be plenty seeing as I'm used to riding that bike almost everywhere.

5-6" bikes are pedal-able, which is a KEY factor for the CCCX courses. Remember that the guys designing the courses are still Cycle Cross and XC guys, and they make it known... even in their "DH" courses.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah I would say a 4-6 inch travel bike is going to be perfect for the series. This is going to be my 4th season racing this series and I have done 2 of the seasons on a big bike. It was pretty brutal at points. But depending on what course they are running, there are some big advantages to having a shorter travel bike and a long travel bike. Brian will attest to that... remember when I raced it on your big bike? The top section? =]

I am going to be on my Tomac Snyper 140 (5 inch travel) or maybe a new top secret Tomac a little later on in the season... uh oh, I have said too much already... =]

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Sweet man! We should meet up when you make it out there...

I would say share a beer or six, but you are off the wagon these days now huh?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Dirt,

I'll share a Coke with you. I'm a non-drinker.

Or... better yet... at CCCX, they hand out Monster Energy Drinks like it's frickin' water. We'll toast with those.

I'll probably be on my MkIII, but I'll have my Zumbi F44 with me, too.

Josh, are you gonna' scope it out the day before, too? Or just the day of?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
u gonna' scope it out the day before, too? Or just the day of?
Usually I just go the day of, but I am bringing my buddy Ben out for his first race. So at least this first race I will be out scoping it the day before with him. I guess it isn't going to hurt me either since I am racing in the stupid fast class this time around. Honestly, not sure what I am thinking... oh well. :crazy:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yep, for most races a shorter travel bike is perfect. Third vote for the nomad.

Since I live super close, I'll be out there the day before... mainly because I'm a little hyperactive. Did I hear beer??? Who's drinking beer where? I'm in! :D

Dirt- let us know if you come down, you can pre-run the course with us.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Brian can I come too!?!

You sure you don't want to race Pro/Semi-Pro? Commmmmmooooonnnnnnn

Yeah Dirt, just hit any of us up! Goodtimes shall be had!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Heh, no semi-pro for me. I'll have a hard enough time hanging in expert.

Let me know when you're down to practice Josh. We can have a few beers after too.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Well when I go,(not sure when that will be , but it will happen)I will be riding my hardtail like the manly men do!Or maybe ill just be everyones pit mechanic and drink the whole time!Hey Brian, since UC is shut down and its soggy as heck out, how are the trails in ur parts?I know the Ord holds up good to the rain, would you still be down to show me around sometime?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
yeah, the ord is nothing but a big pit of sand so when it rains it holds up well.

I've also got a few other places I could take you that are a little more fun, but short.

Unfortunately, I'll be down at the Fontana race this weekend though :\

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
if i was racing it yes. only, going to be racing a few races this yr, and i don't think cccx will be one of them. not to stoken on the courses and drive for me.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Hmmm... I just don't want to drive to Salinas twice in two days for riding... that's a LOT of time spent out there, but I certainly need to learn the terrain. Maybe I'll just suck it up and drive.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If you're really anti-driving, you guys can always crash at our place on saturday night. The cruise down from the south bay isn't too bad though

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hmmm... I just don't want to drive to Salinas twice in two days for riding... that's a LOT of time spent out there, but I certainly need to learn the terrain. Maybe I'll just suck it up and drive.
I could also run it by Emily about you staying the night on Saturday and cruising down together if you are interested. I was planning on car pooling with my buddy Ben, but I could always toss on another bike carrier (I only have 2 on the car now).

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Well, if I don't have to drive BACK over the hill, we could always just take my truck. I've got the work stand, tools, etc.

But Jehn wants to come and watch me race, so that might not work after all. We'll see.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Well, if I don't have to drive BACK over the hill, we could always just take my truck. I've got the work stand, tools, etc.

But Jehn wants to come and watch me race, so that might not work after all. We'll see.
Well the both of you are more than welcome if you wanted to make a weekend out of it... I cannot guarantee the availability of Emily on Saturday if Jehn wasn't planning on going to practice...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I could also run it by Emily about you staying the night on Saturday and cruising down together if you are interested. I was planning on car pooling with my buddy Ben, but I could always toss on another bike carrier (I only have 2 on the car now).
Any chance I could come along, too? I'd like to shoot the race.

:biggrin:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Jehn needs to sleep in our own bed... she's an "unhappy camper" after sleeping on a guest bed, couch, etc.

I'll definitely see you guys out there!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Yes we can. And I'll be there.

We can non-drink together after practice.

On a side note, I have to be home by 4:00pm, which means that I should probably be headed out from El Toro Park no later than 2:45pm.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Let me see what I can do about funds. I am desperate low on cash right now, but let me see what can be done.