Quantcast

CCCX downhill #1 this Saturday

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
yep, I'm going too. I'll be the guy on the IH Kumicho R with the retardedly skinny high rollers. If you think you're slow, come practice with me, it'll make you feel better about yourself :D

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Haha, I havent been on a DH bike in almost 2 months. Yeah. Thats a long time. Well see. Keep an eye out for me with the Black SWD with Black 40-RC2's. I have huge holes in my ear lobes just in case you see me without my helmet on.

What size are the highrollers?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'm thinking about going.

Do you know what time the racing starts? I've got my grandfather's birthday to attend, so I need to be home around 5:00pm.

*bling bling*

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Racing starts at noon. And as far as I know they finish by 3:30 or so and you could be out of there before 5 for sure. Especially is you dont podium you can get out of there pretty much right after your run. I know all about that...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I always register the day of for the CCCX races. I dont know if there is any other way? You choose your start time when you register. Anytime from 12:00-3:00 I think.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If you register the day of, I think you'll still be able to get a pretty early start time.

Heckler- I'm going to be rocking some 2.35 60A folding bead high rollers front and rear. Should be interesting on the hard pack. :D

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
The course was pretty pedally the races I did. I hope they found a better route, if not its still cool. I just hope my cross training this week pays off.

I'm far too cheap to make it there on Friday, plus I work in Los Gatos until 5pm. I have always only done a practice the day of for the CCCX races.

Rich, we gotta meet up and drink a beer or 6. We all know I will be packing Guinness. I have atleast 1 in my car at all times.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'll be the guy walking around with a Red Jersey with my Nikon D50.

Any good pics I can snap are yours to keep, free of charge. If I'm not on my bike, you bet your balls I'm behind my camera.

Look for me on Saturday!

-Mike

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Sounds stellar, man.

I'm Mike.

See you there on Saturday.

Let's see how this 350# spring on my DHX actually works! :monkeydance:

So, how "pedally" is this course, anyway?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Like I said in the other thread, the word on the street is we are racing down where we hiked up on previous races. If the course is where 'they say' its going to be its going to be very little pedaling. If its where its been in the past, prepare to pedal your ass off.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Well, I'll bring both springs, and my tool box... just in case. I'll ride it with my 350# spring at practice, and if it feels squishy, I'll take the 4 minutes and swap out the 350 for the 500.

I'm so excited I can't frickin' sleep. Haha...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
From the CCCX site. They finally put the course description up.

Race 1 DH Course- The course has been selected for race #1. It looks to be a true DH test with some railing trails that have never been used before for any cycling event. The opening is high speed, with some roller coaster like sections, where riders can really get some serious speed. There are a few blind turns where gravity will be felt as racers swoop off of hills and drops at high speeds. Then the course dips into some super tight single track trails that highlights braking and turning ability of rider and bike. Be sure and watch your speed here as it is steep and tight and there is a high possibility of over shooting some tight turns. This route looks to have perfect traction in the dirt with the past few rains, and if the weather holds up, this could be one of the sweetest DH courses around! Like in all CCCX DH races, there will be some pedaling near the end that will check your fitness and form.

Please remember to respect other Toro Park users and be thankful to the Toro Park Rangers for allowing the DH races to take place!
There is a 30 minute hike to get to the start area. Please follow direction signs to parking for the CCCX DH Event.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I didn't see you man!

But I ended up with a 3:49.95 I think. Could be worse. I should have raced beginner, but this will push me harder.

After two practice runs, my third walk up totally killed me. I held good speed on the way down, and kept up a good pace until the end. The last 40 feet I didn't even try to pedal. I was toast.

Maybe next month we'll get a chance to meet.

I'll post pictures in another thread. Crappy, crappy pictures, that is.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
By far the best cccx dh race ever. SO good. Technical, fast, etc.

The bottom section had some pedaling but it was a nice sprint/technical part right before the finish. Cant wait for the next one. =]

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
By far the best cccx dh race ever. SO good. Technical, fast, etc.

The bottom section had some pedaling but it was a nice sprint/technical part right before the finish. Cant wait for the next one. =]
Awesome. I need to get some money so I can put my stupid bike together... Care to donate a payment on an SWD frame?:monkeydance:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Yeah. But after two practice runs, and the onset of the heat at the top (my truck said it was about 79 or 80 in the sun), I was bonked by the time I made it to the top of the hill. I didn't even pedal the last 40 feet across the finish line. I was just too tired.

I think I could have slashed my time by a solid 15-20 seconds just being in better shape. I jumped good at the start, got clipped in right away, and felt like I was moving fast. But at the end, I was just too pooped.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
No courses there really need a DH bike, but this one was really fun. No uphill bits, all pretty quick and DH. Those steepish s-turns were really fun. Some pedaling at the end but that's just how it is at these courses. Good times though.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
The ability to buy food would be sweet. It was my first toro park event and I'm glad I planned ahead. Woulda been a major pain to try to find food.

The course was surprisingly fun. Lot's of sneaky line choices, some tough turns, really fast stuff. Very, very well run. I think it was the most relaxed bike race I have ever been to.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
We had a bbq for the november race, or one of those. The ranger seemed pretty cool with it. Aparently the only thing you really can't be doing is drinking lots of alcohol.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Good point.

I wasnt really paying attention, but I think I saw a huge built in bbq near all the picnic tables (next to the first parking lot). If there is one, I'm sure you could fire up some coals and roast away.

Worth checking with the park and fire safety, etc, etc, though.