Quantcast

CCCX Photos

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nice shots as always Kyle. Drop me a line when you are heading into the City. Also, there is a large Triathlon this weekend in SF, it's the Alcatraz race, so you might be able to get some good shots there. The swimcomes out at Aquatic Park, and the race is through the presidio with the bike and run on Lincoln Ave by the bridge.

halfro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2004
SF Bay Area
Nice shots as always Kyle. Drop me a line when you are heading into the City. Also, there is a large Triathlon this weekend in SF, it's the Alcatraz race, so you might be able to get some good shots there. The swimcomes out at Aquatic Park, and the race is through the presidio with the bike and run on Lincoln Ave by the bridge.
An event like that is covered by brightroom. Most of the time they have the contract to sell photographs so I could go and probably get good photos, but I couldn't sell them. It sucks but that's business....

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
An event like that is covered by brightroom. Most of the time they have the contract to sell photographs so I could go and probably get good photos, but I couldn't sell them. It sucks but that's business....
How is that possible? Are all the riders signing some kind of contract that says that no one can sell a picture of them but such and such organization? If not, then I don't see how they can make it illegal to take photos of average joes in public and sell the to the riders/families. I don't see it legally possible that the race organizers can tell you not to photograph what they organize, they don't own the racers, and they don't own the race grounds. Fight the power, man!

halfro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2004
SF Bay Area
How is that possible? Are all the riders signing some kind of contract that says that no one can sell a picture of them but such and such organization? If not, then I don't see how they can make it illegal to take photos of average joes in public and sell the to the riders/families. I don't see it legally possible that the race organizers can tell you not to photograph what they organize, they don't own the racers, and they don't own the race grounds. Fight the power, man!
You could be right, but from experience at Sea Otter a couple years ago I could have been sued by brightroom for selling a photograph. Trust me, a lot of people wanted to buy my shots but I couldn't. This race might be different considering it's on public land. I'll look into it....

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Legally I still don't really see how that's possible. Say I'm spectating and took a bunch of pictures, then some friends of mine that I got pictures of tell me they want me to print them some of their pictures. If I say ok, but I'm going to need some cash to cover printing costs, it's pretty much the same thing. You just have a lot of friends :D

Or maybe I'm biased because I want as many people taking pics at places like sea otter as possible. What happens if their photographers are teh suck or are posted up in boring locations?

halfro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2004
SF Bay Area
I understand the "napster" effect on selling photographs to a large number of people that, technically, know me as halfro.com. I sent an email asking what their policies are. We shall see if the send something back.
Yeah, if the photographer doesn't take the time to find a great spot and get some quality shots, you're basically stuck with their shiz because they had the contract. Welcome to the real world.
It's already hard enough to make money on selling photographs to the public. Regulations can seriously cause little guys like me to fail. Brightroom is Wal Mart and I'm a ma & pop store....