Quantcast

CCDB coil issue and rebuild!!???

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have an older ccdb coil, it has no real damping in.low speed circuit unless fully closed..then its vague at best...even hi speed circuit has little control.

Put it on bench:
Released nitrogen there was basically none
Pulled ifp out and it was cavitation foam
Pulled seal head off and pulled shaft and piston out. Wioer seal on piston seams decent a bit worn but not gone....
Oil was super thin as in possibly 2.5 or less (shock was pogoing basically beforehand)..

Replaced sealed, Replaced ifp seal, replaced bleed port o-ring and ifp access o-ring, oil and nitrogen.

Stuck some recommended oil back in Turns out its basically 0 weight Steve gave me..assembled it charged it up to what service center here said which was 145psi..(way too high)

Well 2 things its between 80 to 100 psi and the oil was way too thin so I came in at around 5 wt now...

Hharged nitrogen to 100 psi and slapped it back on...did a proper bleed so I know its good...

Thicker oil is allowing it to have some damping now but nothing like the other ccdb I have...that one works perfect...

So question is what would cause the low hi circuit to be ineffective at best...it does more now with a little thicker oil...but no where as noticeable tuning like my other ccdb...

I can run a bit thicker oil, run psi at 78 and give that a shot as well...

So anyone who knows this shock has an idea as to why I have to really crank the needles down to get any sort of small damping please feel free to enlighten me

.I did talk to Matt at cane creek today last resort was I was gonna hit Ronnie up at dvo...Matt had no real idea...if the o-rings were bad on circuit it would likely leak and I have no leaks.....when I pulled it apart the nitrogen was on its side of IFP and the bleed port I opened and there was ZERO air or cavitation (proper sealing going on)

Attachments

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
QUESTION:::
Why would the poppets or needles lose ability to adjust flow?? (They seal, move with clicks)

Maybe less psi, thicker oil but I cant imagine the needles have been damaged, i know they can break if crammed but there's bind or resistance..

I will check the stack on piston to make sure whoever serviced it didn't put something on wrong...I did notice they took out the neoprene top out spacer...

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Sounds like loose or damaged check valves, they are torqued at the bottom of the cylinder head adjuster bores.

IFP charge on those can be between 150 and 180 PSI, they don't cavitate so you can go low.

Oil: 2.5/3WT.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Going to pull valves and springs tomorrow and get replacements from a buddy...I'll slap em in and see.. I did 0 weight and it was sloppy..just did a small trail with lip jumps and the back end kicks even with rebound all the way up...its doable let it hit you on ass and level bike out...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Buddy has several parts from years of tuning and industry...gonna run over tomorrow apparently there's different markings on poppet assemblies some were stiffer...I'm just gonna replace the whole adjuster assembly and be done..as well as wiper seal on piston just cause I'm there...

I did pull piston stack off shaft to replace bulkhead but DID not pull stacks apart to inspect...there's no scoring on tune everything looked flawless but obviously something is beat down....no discoloration ...

Thanks ENGLERTRACING!!! for the idea I will pull the stack apart and clean to make sure nothing is causing blowby...can't hurt to be thorough..Something small can cause a blowby..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Also check your buddy's spare springs for the high speed adjusters. Some were stiffer than others.
Yeah I hit you up to see if you had a pic...you are the reason I'm even aware of it and buddy Steve confirmed it when I asked him..I'm headed to GW this morning to grab some assemblies to slap in..

Btw thanks for the tip Chris....also I'll hit you back on that other stuff as well..appreciate it man!!!!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Talked to Matt and he got ahold of their suspension guy at cane creek...he said just rebuild it that it's almost impossible the needle fittings won't go bad, springs should be fine...

He said to throw heavier oil in it so I just did and made sure to burp the crap out of it....Steve at GW promises air in shock.....me I think ill do heavier oil but its a crutch to real issue and I can't see where a leak would be so ill slap a new piston wiper seal on for safety sake (avoid any bypass).....can't see how it would bypass so much....

Shit the one in my m9 has a little air in it I can hear it cavitate a bit amd it still has great damping.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ok so I snagged a ccdb air from a buddy in flawless shape...gonna run it on m9 and see what I think...if I don't like it I'm going to snag piston and all assemblies from dampers and swap into coil ccdb...the adjusters should work they are a slight newer but within same configuration pre cs and apparently different rate and pressure...

Figure what the hell..so any thoughts or things to be aware of or ideas ...feel free to chime in

Also can't find any reviews a ccdb air on m9 easily...saw a mention...if there is one I'd like to see another person's take and what to pay attention too...