Quantcast

CCDB problem

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Is this normal? MY buddy snapped the shaft on his CCDB on his demo 8 (and almost died). Of course they said "we've never heard of that problem, but coincidentally we've recently redesigned it with a thicker shaft." They got him a new one after they dragged their feet, and now after a summer of riding he's got this problem. Any solutions? I've never seen a shock like this before, not even close. Or should he just get it warrantied and sell that whole frame? He's not that big of a guy, and doesn't ride THAT much or that hard. It's pretty sketchy though.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/336656/

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, that extra yolk attaching the shock to the linkage is a really bad idea. Frankly I see this as being Specialized's fault more than CC's. Theoretically it doesn't load the shock any more than a standard mounting arrangement, but that's contingent upon everything being lined up absolutely perfectly. It's not a setup that's going to be tolerant of any misalignment.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yeah, that extra yolk attaching the shock to the linkage is a really bad idea. Frankly I see this as being Specialized's fault more than CC's. Theoretically it doesn't load the shock any more than a standard mounting arrangement, but that's contingent upon everything being lined up absolutely perfectly. It's not a setup that's going to be tolerant of any misalignment.
Yeah, my guess is that small mislaignments are just wrecking the bushing/seal setup on there. Kinda lame when specialized is always pitching their "integration" type approach. I can't imagine that he's the only one having this problem, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've never searched for it but I've read of the skinny shaft ones snapping on here a bit-
Another from PB-

How are the bushings or bearings in his frame? If they are flogged out that will happen to any shock, I bent my last shock due to me being a lazy prick and not adjusting out the play in my back end(different bike).

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
He got his frame warrantied with his shock when it broke (frame got damaged when it snapped). so the frame was brand new when he got the larger diameter shaft shock.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
A friend of mine was through several frames and dampers. His third frame I think finally doesn't have any faults. Definitely a fun bike to ride but that yoke is a real problem.
At least on the Sworks demos it should be a bit better...

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I snapped a CCDB with my demo...G out in the middle of a berm and it snapped in half, scared the **** out of me.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I'm sure S made sure that the ohlins won't break. After all it might be the narcissistic answer to the ccdb's history in demos...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm sure S made sure that the ohlins won't break. After all it might be the narcissistic answer to the ccdb's history in demos...
Like they fixed the Fox 40's destroying the downtubes with bumpers that didn't work in their first iteration? ;)

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Maybe try using spherical bearings instead of bushings in the eyelets (like original ttx 25 did for a reason...), should help. Why cc ditched this idea anyway? :think:

Last edited: