Quantcast

CD burning problems

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
This is a weird problem that we (my wife and I ) are having with our burners.
I am a tech guy so this is kinda frustrating not knowing whats going on.

At the same time we both lost usability of our burners. Sometimes the burners will burn one CD be it data or music. But when we try the second one it just fails. Some times it doenst even burn at all.

I also noticed that when firefox closes it always errors out with some memory problems that my wifes computer does also.

I have run adaware, spybot and AVG free looking for the culprit but I have found nothing.

We are both running 2k with SP4. Any ideas?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
stupid question -- new media? maybe a crappy batch of CD's? Your wife and your burners the same model or different?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I had a similar problem on my desktop - new last year Compaq - I was able to burn several CD's but then couldn't. The drive now even "hangs" when just reading a music/Data/DVD - so I'm wondering if it's either a hardware problem or the driver is kaput.

Any ideas?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
alot of times burners are picky about what company discs you use. you should try different companys and see if it makes a difference

dogdude

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
Fairfax County VA
ive seen overheating cause this to happen, also not enough room to cache the info on the harddrive while burning and even not having the latest updates to the cd burning software.

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I thought about overheating also. Our computer room is in the bonus room and is cooled by a window unit. I guess I just need to turn the thermostat down and see what happens.

I tried buffer settings on mine and it didnt help it at all. I am not sure if my wife tried hers.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I had a similar problem with my old desktop. I thought the burner had died (it was about 5 years old). When we bought our new laptop we gave the desktop to my father-in-law. Before sending it off, I reformatted the hd and reinstalled Win2K. Burner worked fine after that.

It might be time for a reformat/reinstall.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
pixelninja said:
I had a similar problem with my old desktop. I thought the burner had died (it was about 5 years old). When we bought our new laptop we gave the desktop to my father-in-law. Before sending it off, I reformatted the hd and reinstalled Win2K. Burner worked fine after that.

It might be time for a reformat/reinstall.
I've reformatted/reinstalled twice since the problem came up and it didn't help. The burner/reader will still "lock up" reading a disk.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Andyman_1970 said:
I've reformatted/reinstalled twice since the problem came up and it didn't help. The burner/reader will still "lock up" reading a disk.
Sounds like your issue is hardware related.

I'm curious if CrAckErKorEan has figured out his issue.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i had exactly the same problem, running xp home, nero and an external memorex cdw, and an internal burner.
sometimes it burned the cd, sometimes it displayed an error msg in the middle of the burning, and most of the times it just burned one at a time (then restart).

but then, i formatted my pc, reinstalled nero 5, and they are working fine now...

dogdude

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
Fairfax County VA
its not just the ambient temperature of the room. if its not a stock OEM system from a reputable firm, there may not be enough space between the devices, harddrive(s), cdrom(s), burner(s), etc. ive seen some harddrives packed in there so tightly, the heat was incredible.

CrAckErKorEan said:
I thought about overheating also. Our computer room is in the bonus room and is cooled by a window unit. I guess I just need to turn the thermostat down and see what happens.

I tried buffer settings on mine and it didnt help it at all. I am not sure if my wife tried hers.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Has it ever worked properly in the first place? If it has then backtrack all of the software installs you have done to the best of your knowledge and see if there may exist a conflict. You may (and probably have) reinstalled the software.

Just a thought :)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Could the ASPI driver gotten corrupted somehow? Watch out w/ Windows Updates and that one optional update you can get about CD burning...

Edit: also double check the Services and turn off the burning service (altho this maybe XP specific...), since you're using Nero.