Quantcast

Cell phone usage....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
On my drive to school I noticed about 10 different people talking on their cell phones while driving, walking, waiting, smoking, etc.... I'm sure I missed another 100 people using their phones.

I often think about life pre-cell phones and today I was wondering what the ability to contact/communicate with friends, family, work at any time anywhere has actually given us. I mean in my life the single greatest thing it's given me is the ability to be reminded to bring home sour cream for taco night. It has made my job go much smoother when i'm not in the office which is a big deal too. In all seriousness what do you think the cell phone has given us? Is it a tool for human kind or one more idiot box.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Ha no but my Dr. did give me a scrip for these great amphetamines I took this AM.

KIDDING!
You better watch out with that bottom quoting. (or top posting) It gives off the wrong impression.

I like my cell phone. Now I don't have a house phone.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I often think about that as well. What did we do before email? How did people in offices communicate? How did you keep in touch with your friends? Can you imagine a life without email?

I get probably 20-50 emails a day, and they come to my phone, and I can answer them from there. I have a friend who is a high up exec in Wachovia Securities, and he gets 100-500 emails a day. All right to his phone. What did we do before this stuff?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I get probably 20-50 emails a day, and they come to my phone, and I can answer them from there. I have a friend who is a high up exec in Wachovia Securities, and he gets 100-500 emails a day. All right to his phone. What did we do before this stuff?
Had friends, played outside without caring what else is going on.:brow:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife was confused when the Mercedes-Benz we test drove didn't have cup holders. I had to explain to her that German's don't do anything but drive, while driving. The last thing you want is someone trying to sip a latte while doing 180mph.

The new Honda Fit has something like 10 cup holders and seats 5 :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cell phones and email would be usefull if they were not abused so heavily. Of the hundreds of emails I get a day only a few are worth reading. I gets numerous calls a day from people on cell phones asking for help doing things they are too lazy to do themselves but since they have a cell phone on them it is easier to call me up.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
we have a new hands free law here in WA. It's a secondary offense: they can only pull you over if you are doing something else that would be a ticket. I don't see that it's made any difference at all.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
THINK ABOUT THIS:

What if cell phone waves, radio waves, microwaves & all that high frequency **** was visible to the human eye. That would be far out. :thumbs:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I don't like cell phones, even though I own one. My wife recently went back to college (been out a couple of years) and she was talking about hard it is to make friends because everyone is talking on their phone right up till class starts and then they get back on their phone as soon as its over :disgust:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I only have a cell to talk to my wife while she's deployed. Otherwise leave me a message on my home line, and if its pressing I'll get back to you. I get internet from the library, don't have TV. Its liberating.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im on my phone all day during the workday answering emails and calls even whilst driving. i refuse to use blueteeth devices.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I turned my phone off for the commute tonight and put it in a zip lock bag since we got a little rain. 4 voice mails in an hour and a half? None of them were important. Leave me alone, I'm riding...

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
E-mail on my phone makes my life easier. My phone has saved lives and enabled arguments.

The first time my son get's sent a n00dz from a girlfriend I will high five him.

The first time my daughter sends n00dz to her boyfriend I will take away the phone away and beat the hell out of the boyfriend.

double standards are great!