Quantcast

Central Ohio Downhill Course, At Newarks Horn Hill

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
We now have a great location for legal downhill trails to be built in Central Ohio! We have permission to build at Newarks Horn Hill. 250 feet of vert, paved shuttle road clear to the top, and has some quite steep terrain. To sum it all up, it is a really nice place to build! Has wonderful potential for becoming Ohio's most utilized DH area, but we need YOUR help to build it. This is possibly one of the best opportunities in the entire state of Ohio to have a nice full-on-downhill spot, thats Legal! We need people out there to help make this happen. We also plan to go on a much greater scale, what we have built is just a start!

Email Bob at bobbevard1 @ Yahoo.com for more info.

And thank you Bob Bevard for making this happen, without you, nobody would have access to this land at all. [He is the organizer of this project.]

As of 08/04/2007, 150 yards have been completed.

Some pics:

[Pics courtesy of Particle on www.spokejunkies.com]

Can we get a realy awsome Mod to stiky this please?:biggrin:

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Thanks for the x-post Matt! Any and all who can help would be hugely appreciated. I wonder if it'd be worth posting this in the DH forum?

-Summit/Particle

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
New Pics!!!

As of 8/20/07 ______ yards have been completed.

did someone say road gap? :D

If we get enought man power this weekend, we can be riding this top to bottom by sunday after noon!!!:happydance: :banana:

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
So stoked! Sounds like we'll be able to get it ridable all the way through this weekend by hand, then figure out another weekend for the trackhoe to build tasty goodness like big landings, doubles, tables, big berms, and all kind of goodies. I'll be out there Friday morning, then Saturday all day. Can't make Sunday though...

For anyone else interested in coming, here's a Google map to the park entrance:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=40.08917,-82.408233&mrsp=1&sz=15&mra=mi&sll=40.088119,-82.407718&sspn=0.012542,0.029182&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Spendin' Chips at Manny's
So stoked! Sounds like we'll be able to get it ridable all the way through this weekend by hand, then figure out another weekend for the trackhoe to build tasty goodness like big landings, doubles, tables, big berms, and all kind of goodies. I'll be out there Friday morning, then Saturday all day. Can't make Sunday though...

For anyone else interested in coming, here's a Google map to the park entrance:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=40.08917,-82.408233&mrsp=1&sz=15&mra=mi&sll=40.088119,-82.407718&sspn=0.012542,0.029182&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1

Gonna take a bunch of hi-res pics on Sunday of the trail, features, bob, and everyone riding it.

Will post up a link here on Monday.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Hey guys, I am new to Columbus but have been riding all my life. Where exactly is this place because I would like to help build and of course ride, because it looks fun.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
speedster - welcome to Ohio; I moved to Cbus last summer with my wife from Cali/Utah...I'd be happy to help you adjust (it takes some time).

Anyway, there will be a good-sized crew there Sunday riding and working. I think people will be showing up as early as 9am, unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow. Probably do some quick work in the morning and then lots of shuttles. We got 7 laps in this afternoon before the tornadoes hit :D

This morning we benched in another 150 yards or so, cleaned up and tamped down some berms, and ran the line into a natural 4' drop at the bottom of the run, followed by a small catch berm to shoot you out the bottom of the run. Horn's hill is about 250' vert. I knew it was short...but once we got the flow on, it was easily doable in under a minute. It's all good though.

That said, this trail is a total blast. Super flowy, really really fast, and some nice airs all the way through. Features include, in order:

entrance mini kicker/drop
mini kicker/drop
short left berm
table with a big nice lip
short left catch berm
longass right-hand 180-degree berm
mini kicker
fun singletrack section
road gap/jump
bigass left-hand catch berm
table
table
table
option 1: 7' ladder drop
option 2: kicker to ladder drop landing
big roller jump
right catch berm
kicker
creek/ravine gap double
left berm
right berm
new fun flowy singletrack
small 180 degree left berm
4' natural drop
done!

Feels good to have contributed to something like this. It's really freakin cool, especially in a place like Ohio with such a limited amount going on in the DH/FR scene.

My camera was undergunned in the dark forest, so all the riders are blurry, but here are a few action pics. Next time I need to convince the wife to let me take her blingy digital SLR w/ nice flash and all that good stuff for some quality photos.

ladder drop:

super fun big berm:

this is the mastermind Bob, sending it over the road jump - he also sent the ladder gap above...

one of the flowy singletrack sections:

Bob on the first table of the 3-set:

me on the road jump

not as good a pic, but shows the size a bit better:

natural drop at the bottom:

and a couple trail scenics...

p.s. the prophet MX was $$$$$$$ on this trail

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
looks awsome, Ill be up tomorrow around 9. Whos going to shuttle? Im bringing the surburban, and if some one has a rack Ill shuttle us for a few runs. [But not all, I wanna ride! lol]

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Good group out there today. I took 287 high resolution pics of 8 riders and the trail. Will get to work pronto on the slideshow and gallery.

Plan to split it into two features..The riders and the course. Walked it all and took pics of each feature and the overall layout..then of the guys ridin' each feature.

Here's a teaser of Dan Watts on the Road Gap..

Will have both galleries done tomorrow night and a 700-1K word article with pics on my web site.

Simply an awesome course...flat out.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
For anyone thinkin' a hardtail won't cut it...

The above is the same road gap in the first pic of Dan.. Chris put on a freakin' clinic today. No pads..

Too bad this pic didn't turn out. No footer on the creek gap.

Guess if ya' wanna sack up..bring the hardtail.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Thanks for the pics!

It was nice meeting everyone, it was such a friendly group!

And whenever someone wants to shuttle some runs, I'm in!

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
I really need to make it out there and meet you guys. A BBQ sat night did me in for sunday morning. Soon enough though.

burchfr

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
I also had a great time Sunday meeting and riding with all of you. The pics are awesome. I am heading up tomorrow around 5pm if anyone is interested in shuttling with us.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Good news!! The Trackhoe comes back Frid. thru Sun; second course is laid out, Dave is committed to building; We're going to stick it in before Bob leaves for Col. it'll be up to us to make the finish work happen. Second course is longer, more gradual and will be less advanced in some ways but should be lots of fun for all.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Good news!! The Trackhoe comes back Frid. thru Sun; second course is laid out, Dave is committed to building; We're going to stick it in before Bob leaves for Col. it'll be up to us to make the finish work happen. Second course is longer, more gradual and will be less advanced in some ways but should be lots of fun for all.
We'll be in Snowshoe the next 2 weeks. Count on some help when we get back.

Your pics will be on the way tomorrow.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Just got the email from Bob re: the 2nd course...siiiiiick. I'm in to help finish pretty much any time until about the 14th. Then Xander can take over, but hopefully by then it'll just be done ;)

p.s. I'll try to make it out Wed. evening for some shuttles, and should be there this Saturday as well.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Anyone going to be there sunday afternoon? Thinking about coming buy after I get home from cedar point for 2 days.....

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Anyone going to be there sunday afternoon? Thinking about coming buy after I get home from cedar point for 2 days.....
Sounds like the trackhoe will be there Sunday? I might make it out, but I need some freakin exercise so I might go meet up with the spokejunkies for 24 miles of mohican state park singletrack. If I get lazy though I'll try to head out to HH.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
2nd course is roughed in, now just gotta do the finish work. Lots of lip shaping, berm shaping, some benching, etc... It's super dusty right now so definitely needs some rain to help pack it all in. Second course looks really fun...definitely longer than the first one, smaller features but still plenty challenging.

Got about 8 laps in yesterday on the original course, that thing is too much fun.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
2nd course is roughed in, now just gotta do the finish work. Lots of lip shaping, berm shaping, some benching, etc... It's super dusty right now so definitely needs some rain to help pack it all in. Second course looks really fun...definitely longer than the first one, smaller features but still plenty challenging.

Got about 8 laps in yesterday on the original course, that thing is too much fun.

Good lookin'..my group will be out on the 16th to work and shoot video and more pics for an update on the site.