Quantcast

Central Ohio Downhill Course, At Newarks Horn Hill

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Good lookin'..my group will be out on the 16th to work and shoot video and more pics for an update on the site.
I may be up there that day too, there needs to be a lot of bench work done, like 100ft-150ft worth. And all the shaping. The landing on the last jump of the old coarse was completly redome, with the trackhoe, around 5:00 yesterday. All we need now is some rain!:banana:

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Spendin' Chips at Manny's
I may be up there that day too, there needs to be a lot of bench work done, like 100ft-150ft worth. And all the shaping. The landing on the last jump of the old coarse was completly redome, with the trackhoe, around 5:00 yesterday. All we need now is some rain!:banana:

Timing should be perfect then with rain expected next week..will bring a few sets of dick-beaters so count on us workin where you need it.

Then ride!

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Timing should be perfect then with rain expected next week..will bring a few sets of dick-beaters so count on us workin where you need it.

Then ride!
Sweet! You guys got a shuttle truck? All ive got is my suburban, or my GTi, I might be able to jack the sis's truck though, it only has the 6ft bead.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
pssst. dude, it's still in your quoted post above.

There's gotta be a better solution to the landing off the ladder. The drop doesn't scare me, but the runout sure as hell does.

Agreed. The entire course has some things to iron out, like liability, access, markings etc.

No biggy tho' it will.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Agreed. The entire course has some things to iron out, like liability, access, markings etc.

No biggy tho' it will.
Yeah, bob put up a bunch of signs, to help with the liability issue.

I still dont like that jump before the berm into the creek gap. I still havent tried the gap because of it. It did buck me pretty hard the other day. Maby some reshaping would remendy this?

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Yeah, bob put up a bunch of signs, to help with the liability issue.

I still dont like that jump before the berm into the creek gap. I still havent tried the gap because of it. It did buck me pretty hard the other day. Maby some reshaping would remendy this?

You can ride around it and hit the gap, but understand what your sayin'

I'm waiting to see some one hit the kicker and totally clear the gap jump all together.

From the top of the plank to the bottom of the gap..you can pick up a lot of speed.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Gonna be out there Sunday 9/9 working the second course if anyone wants to come help. Mostly shaping berms, lips, etc...this rain should really help everything pack in and get ridable. I'll probably get a few laps in on the first course as well.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Gonna be out there Sunday 9/9 working the second course if anyone wants to come help. Mostly shaping berms, lips, etc...this rain should really help everything pack in and get ridable. I'll probably get a few laps in on the first course as well.
I'm thinking about coming out as well, If I dont have to do much.

Im thinking that making the ending of the orginal cource the main priority, because it is Extreemly dusty and loose.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I didn't make it out there, the big storms scared me off. Hoping to get out tomorrow (Tues) a.m. for a couple hours work on course 2. Reports are that just the last 100 yards needs finishing and it'll be good to go. Hopefully the rain this weekend helped pack everything in and knocked down most of that dust...

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
I didn't make it out there, the big storms scared me off. Hoping to get out tomorrow (Tues) a.m. for a couple hours work on course 2. Reports are that just the last 100 yards needs finishing and it'll be good to go. Hopefully the rain this weekend helped pack everything in and knocked down most of that dust...
I think that Buzz, 50, Justin and I will be there on Sat.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Buzz, myself and possibly one other will be out on Sunday to work and ride.

Bringing the video system and still camera. So smile when you go by!!

LOL!

Anyone else going out Sunday?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
hey guys,
this all looks great ... good job!
so when are y'all going to throw together an impromptu race or weekend get together? I'd make the 1/2 day drive out to dig and ride for a weekend.

JKOBD

Chimp
Sep 21, 2007
Marysville
Looks great guys. I just moved to Marysville from Georgia and have been looking for somewhere to ride. Do you guys post work days in a particular thread/forum?

Jason

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
The new course is pretty fun. It's way more pedally than the original, and has a few really tight/short berms that almost totally kill all speed. I think with some minor tweaks it'll be a blast, but definitely needs a little work. A lot of it is just learning it as well, figuring out the best lines, etc. It's doable for beginners but super challenging to get a fast flowy run for experts. Good stuff!

I also finally sacked up to the ladder drop on the original. The built landing does absolutely nothing as you easily clear it. Frustrating since I put a lot of effort into building up the landing! Oh well. As is, the landing is a bit harsh; might be fun to wedge out a new landing lower on the hill to make the transition a bit smoother.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Looks great guys. I just moved to Marysville from Georgia and have been looking for somewhere to ride. Do you guys post work days in a particular thread/forum?

Jason
You can go here too:

www.chainsmoke.net

There's a forum for Horn's specifically although it's not getting alot of traffic. Under "Destinations" there's a section on Horns

Also, This forum belongs to the Ohio Mountain Bike Association and alot of guys hang there too

http://joinomba.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=13

Go to chainsmoke and sign up for the newsletter...you'll get all the Horn's 411 emailed to you

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
I finally made it out today and hit both trails multiple times. Fun, but very short. I kept beating my shuttle down the trail by 20 seconds. I started to ride up and do a loop, which made it not seem as bad. That's a great workout but obviously gets tiring. The two trails are a lot of fun, and I bet with a group of people would be a blast to run on all day. The first trail was cleared out well, but the second had a ton of leaves over it, making for a sketchier/interesting ride. I was hoping some more people where going to be there, but I guess all the nice weather asked for other plans. I want to make it out again soon because I had a lot of fun and the trails kept it interesting. Hope to see more of you guys out there next time.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Hey guys! 3rd coarse in the works, and I believe that it already has approval for its general layout!

I might make it up there next weekend, Glover will have his downhill bike, and I will have my new rear wheel. [Broke my previous hub in 2, $220 later......] See you guys up there [hopefully!]

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Construction on the 3rd course has begun, looking good so far. Should be a fun winter project to get out there and build. Thinking of rolling out there for a few hours tomorrow (Friday 12/14) morning.