Quantcast

ceramic bearings?

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
if you really need to upgrade to ceramic bearings trying training more. You are on a dh bike u dont need them. For the money you can buy steriods those work better. JK

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
From what I was told ceramic bearings are better from applications with lots of movement and the don't handle impacts very well. The pivots on most bikes don't really move that much and the take a fair amount of impact, so not the best idea from what I'm told.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ceramic for your BB is by far the best upgrade of the ceramic tyoe you can do. because you can actually feel the difference. whether it holds up to DH. no idea.

tell me how it goes

Apr 14, 2008
has anyone experiences with bottom-brackets with ceramic bearings? can't decide whether to take stainless steel or ceramic ones.

linky-linky steel:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24172

linky-linky ceramic:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25571
I'm running two of the stainless Hope BB's and they are fantastic. You can really tell the difference over the shimano ones... they just seem to spin and spin.

One thing though- they don't like having the crank arms pushed up to tight onto them as they seem to spin slower then. Apparently over tightening teh crank arms can also crush teh bearings....

I've not really run them in the wet for prolonged periods (that's what the SS is for) so i'm not sure about long term sealing. Being Hope though i'm sure they are fine.

I'd not run anything else now. Worth every $.

As for DH- i'm sure these would not deal to well with the abuse..... same as ceramic.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
so far the only application I have seen to benefit from ceramics is road. I have done alot of bottom brackets since your current shimano cups will fit enduro ceramics. I have upgraded quite a few cross country racers to ceramics in there hubs as well. but as far as downhill goes I see more problems than benefit so far. I took mine out of my DH rig after having too many elemental problems with moisture and mud.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Most ceramic bearings (including I believe Hope BBs) only have ceramic balls, they still run on steel races. As such there's not much benefit. To really be cooking with gas you need FULL ceramic, where the race is also ceramic. These aren't cheap though, $50 a bearing or so last time a mate looked. Definitely worth it more for road/XC or even BMX than for DH I'd say.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
so far the only application I have seen to benefit from ceramics is road. I have done alot of bottom brackets since your current shimano cups will fit enduro ceramics. I have upgraded quite a few cross country racers to ceramics in there hubs as well. but as far as downhill goes I see more problems than benefit so far. I took mine out of my DH rig after having too many elemental problems with moisture and mud.
Agreed, I cant tell any difference on teh DH bike, but the road bike..... Damn

Most ceramic bearings (including I believe Hope BBs) only have ceramic balls, they still run on steel races. As such there's not much benefit. To really be cooking with gas you need FULL ceramic, where the race is also ceramic. These aren't cheap though, $50 a bearing or so last time a mate looked. Definitely worth it more for road/XC or even BMX than for DH I'd say.

Actually with the bearings coated, they roll WAY smoother. Even though it is just the bearing itself, it still makes a huge difference. Again, like GFF said, it is really a road benefit, not a dirt benefit.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
actually the FULL ceramic, you're looking at $200-1000 per bearing. Hybrid's are about $30-80 per bearing

i've actually setup some 808's with full ceramic. that was not fun.

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
really just use standard bearing on your dh bike, ur not sam hill for crying out loud. if its a road bike then maybe but for the price i would rather spend the money on a hadley wheel set or Inine wheels. Just another way for sram to take your money

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
wouldn't ceramic bearings be too weak to hold up to the forces at work on a DH bike?

and what application are we talking about in specific? Obviously ceramics in your BB would be way sick no matter what the application.

How much do ceramic bearings for Hadleys persay run for? I think a time trial test is in order.

Lastly ceramic bearings in pivots? Seems unnecessary if not a bad idea to me.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I believe ceramics are MUCH tougher than steel bearings. I read that if you have FULL ceramic bearings they need virtually no maintenance as any debris that gets inside just gets PULVERISED by the balls :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, what happened to the ceramic bearings that "were" in my Pivots, the ceramic came off the bearings, and there life was short lived. Ceramic is hard, and brittle, it isnt a good choice for Hi impact applications. BB's and wheels, thats where you want ceramic. Like I said, Road bike, I am all for the ceramics, DH, its a waste of your money.

Average cost of a "Hybrid" ceramic, 35 to 40 dollars a bearing.

Standard steel, 5-15 dollars

Apr 22, 2008
Rotorua, NZ
really just use standard bearing on your dh bike, ur not sam hill for crying out loud. if its a road bike then maybe but for the price i would rather spend the money on a hadley wheel set or Inine wheels. Just another way for sram to take your money
Thanx for the skinny all who contributed, I will stick to what I have goin on till I hear otherwise. Anyone no of a shock manufacturer with a sealed bearing bushing upgrade kit for shock eyelets? seems to be were I get the most stiction from within my system. when you run 2 shocks in the back it can add up.
Drizzle my nizzle your last name wouldnt be Kirkaldie? will crap myself if so, wishful thinking I know but keep getting people mixed up round here. A test rider for Turner with initials JK, well what am I to think.
Keep the info flowing! Almost ready to harvest my next proto.