Quantcast

chain replacement

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Depends on how much you ride. I try to do it every 3-4 monthes on my main bike which works out to be around 500-600 miles. Chains are pretty cheap compared to replacing chainrings, cassette, and a chain if you wait to long and have to do it all at once. Of course, these days my main ride is an SS, so if I wait to long it's only a chainring, freewheel and chain.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well I've been on the same chain for 8 months now, and I've already replaced two links. I figured it's cheap anough, so why not get a new one.

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
and replace the chain BEFORE it says it's worn out. I just got a Rholoff for $25 -- I hear it's better than the Park, but don't know from experience.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
IAB -

In general, the first time you snap your chain you should replace it. Unless you snapped it from some catastrophic event, the chain is getting weak. Chains wear pretty evenly, so when one link breaks, the others aren't far behind.

SRAM makes very good chains IMO.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yeah riderx is right. But I'm afraid after 8 months and snapped links its probably worn out the rest of drivetrain too. If you put a new chain on only, do a driveway test to see if your getting any skipping. I'll bet you do. I have to replace my chain every 2 or 3 months and still I get maybe 6 to 8 months from the rest of the drive train. But I ride almost daily and winter riding here is brutally wet and muddy.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Yes, IRB change out that chain! Damn. While you're at the bikeshop, get two. There's nothing cheaper and easier to replace in my opinion, and not changing it can be really expensive.

Originally posted by spincrazy
Yes, IRB change out that chain! Damn. While you're at the bikeshop, get two. There's nothing cheaper and easier to replace in my opinion, and not changing it can be really expensive.
he's just going to replace the bike instead.

hey sp - want to buy an element? you know, the one I said I was going to leave on the side of the trail?!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
No thanks MBC. I'm in the market for a Titus LocoMoto, Blur, Intense Uzzi SL or something along those lines. I'm afraid I'd turn the Element into scrap metal.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by spincrazy
Good idea. Cripes, I was even in a shop tonight test driving a Slayer, and I completely forgot to look at chains. Oh well. I'll look Saturday.

Does it really matter what kind of chain, or will any SRAM MTB 9 speed chain do the trick?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

Good idea. Cripes, I was even in a shop tonight test driving a Slayer, and I completely forgot to look at chains. Oh well. I'll look Saturday.

Does it really matter what kind of chain, or will any SRAM MTB 9 speed chain do the trick?
PC-59...does a bike good!

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
Originally posted by riderx
IAB -

In general, the first time you snap your chain you should replace it. Unless you snapped it from some catastrophic event, the chain is getting weak. Chains wear pretty evenly, so when one link breaks, the others aren't far behind.

SRAM makes very good chains IMO.
Do you use the scram ss chain on your single or do you use a standard bmx chain?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Actually, I only run the SRAM on my geared bike. On the single(s) I've been running KMC 1/8" SS/BMX chains. The Rust Buster model is the best for all of the Avalon stream crossings but if I can't find that I run the 410. Best thing about both chains is they are under $10 and last.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by VTinCT

PC-59...does a bike good!
Yes it does, but the PC 89R (I think) is what I run. Gotta love the superlink gizmo. THe 89R is a road chain, but lighter. Might not be the best for a full sus, I don't know. I've never had a problem with them on my hardtails.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
Originally posted by riderx
Actually, I only run the SRAM on my geared bike. On the single(s) I've been running KMC 1/8" SS/BMX chains. The Rust Buster model is the best for all of the Avalon stream crossings but if I can't find that I run the 410. Best thing about both chains is they are under $10 and last.
I run the KMC on the ss too. They do last and I love the $5.99 price point !