Quantcast

Chain retention mounts?

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Did you get the bike new? If you did it should have come with a chain guide for the bike....granted it's not a great one...but it's something. So yes as kingLatency said it is for mounting a chainguide. All though not all chain guides have the holes fo the ISCG mount.

:p

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
I bought the frame and fork seperate. ISCG? Is that the terminology for this type of chain guide mount? As you can probably tell, I know nothing about chain guides.

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
the bolts on the bottom of your frame are indeed for a chainguide but it is for a giant chainguide. The holes are not ISCG standard chainguide mounts. They only work with the chainguide that giant supplies with the bike.

brian

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by Evilmunch
Are there any aftermarket chain guides out there that will work with this?
Dont believe so... and doubt very much a company would make a guide to fit one model from one manufacturer. Giant should have been smart and just found a way to use ICGS

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
Originally posted by mplutodh1
Dont believe so... and doubt very much a company would make a guide to fit one model from one manufacturer. Giant should have been smart and just found a way to use ICGS
Bleh, what would be the best way for me to obtain a giant chain guide?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I personally perfer to have the guide sandwiched in between the BB shell and the BB. That way, if the guide takes a hit, it just slips instead of breaking tabs on your frame.

Just a thought.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The chainguide that cam with my AC2 seems kinda flimsy, I don't know how useful it would be if it took a good hit.