Quantcast

Chain slap protection

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
I've been using plastic hosing from the local hardware store for a few years now...lasts pretty much forever and is super cheap...something like this...comes in all different diameters.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Just cut up an old tube and wrap it. They are free, and the rubber is thick enough to keep the chain from damaging your frame. Quiet too.

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I'm having the same problem. Not very convinced lizard skins help that much. I kinda like the looks of the wrap from CBO. Anyone have a good or bad comment about the wrap from CBO?

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
on my SGS i just unbolted the chainstay and slide a tube right over it and bolted it back up, looks really nice and clean.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Come on people! Everyone knows the best way to protect a chainstay is to cut an old innertube down the middle, and wrap it around the chainstay. Use electrical tape at either end to secure it. Its works better then anything else.

I thought this was common knowledge.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
scurban said:
Come on people! Everyone knows the best way to protect a chainstay is to cut an old innertube down the middle, and wrap it around the chainstay. Use electrical tape at either end to secure it. Its works better then anything else.

Exacto. Its the cleanest and most durable way ive ever tried.

Pic of the one on my 5-spot.

Attachments

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
scurban said:

:stupid:

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
I've always used a TR tube because there a fair amount thicker. I use Cat Eye cloth hanbelbar tape to wrap over it, I think it looks a little better than electrical tape, plus, it comes in pink :thumb:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
S.K.C. said:
Cycle Stuff Chain Stay Wrap - it's a thick plastic strip that comes in this giant cork-screw, so it's pre-curved...

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=13135

it's like $5 per stay, but it lasts forever...
You can get stuff almost exactly like this at Home Depot, Lowes, RadioShack, etc.
It's called wire loom(ing).
I wrap my chainstay in Bituthane, a waterproofing membrane (also available at Home Depot) thats self adhering, super sticky, tar-like sheet.
Then wrap it in the hard plastic looming.

Kills sound like no other and it's durable.