Quantcast

chainguide anything would be appreciated

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
hey guys i have a faith 3 and i have shimano deore deraillers on front and back and i ahve 2 chain rings and a bash guard..i was thinking about getting a chainguide and not making my bike s.s. i know this is possible...but how much and does anybody have a picture.either my chainring is bent super badly or i have a poorly designed chain ring...anyways i just wanted a price, and any models you would suggest. if you have a picture it would be even beter...THANKS FOR ANY RESPONSES YOU HAVE EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH :dancing: :stupid:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I would also recommend the drs, should be able to get it for quite a bit less than $150.

123.99 at dropnzone.com

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
If you bash stuff a lot (which it sounds like you due to the bent chain rings) then go with the drs, the lexan basfring rules. If you dont bash stuff too much, an LRP is a little cheaper, or a truvative shift guide.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
the only thing is i want to keep two front chainrings in the front...do they have a guide like that, since i do some flatland to get to where i am going and i also need two for when i go to creek next weekend, i am only an hour and my aunts house is like 10 miles so i can stay for the weekend with my friend so we get to bike diablo for two days, i can't wait..i've only snowboarded there like 10 times and skated there when they had a park..can ii have one that goes with two chainrings

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
is it hard to install of should i go to my LBS and have them do it so i don't **** anything up...and i don't think i bent my chainring...i think during shipping, thats what i think. if it helps i have a shimano deore derailler front and back. how does it exactly work? does it connect to the shifter and tags along with it, then the wheel rolls with it.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
is it hard to install of should i go to my LBS and have them do it so i don't **** anything up...and i don't think i bent my chainring...i think during shipping, thats what i think. if it helps i have a shimano deore derailler front and back. how does it exactly work? does it connect to the shifter and tags along with it, then the wheel rolls with it.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i already have a bashguard instead of a third chainring...so any other suggestions to make it a little cheaper.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
DRS-Dual Ring Security
LRP-Long Range Patrol (2 ring system)
Truvative Shiftguide-well, its called the shift guide so it is obviousally a 2 ring system.

The DRS and Shiftguide have thick lexan outer bash rings, much stronger than the LRP thin metal one. But the LRP is less expensive. If you have some mechanical know-how, you could install them your self. Is your frame tabed for ISCG? If it is, than that makes it really easy.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
habitatxskate said:
Habitatxskate,

From your questions, it doesn't sound like you are very comfortable with working on your bike. There is nothing wrong with that...see how much the guides cost at your local bike shop (LBS) and see how much it will cost to install them there. If the LBS likes you they might allow you to watch it being installed.

I have a E.Thirteen DRS and like it alot. Never tried the LRP or the Shift guide so I can't really give you any pro/cons on them.

As far as your rings being bent....it can also be that your cranks are bent at the spider. Either way, your guide won't work well if your rings don't run true (or close to it) You will need to adress your wobbly ring problems. It will save you set up hassle on the guide.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Rhino

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
RhinofromWA said:
Habitatxskate,

From your questions, it doesn't sound like you are very comfortable with working on your bike. There is nothing wrong with that...see how much the guides cost at your local bike shop (LBS) and see how much it will cost to install them there. If the LBS likes you they might allow you to watch it being installed.

I have a E.Thirteen DRS and like it alot. Never tried the LRP or the Shift guide so I can't really give you any pro/cons on them.

As far as your rings being bent....it can also be that your cranks are bent at the spider. Either way, your guide won't work well if your rings don't run true (or close to it) You will need to adress your wobbly ring problems. It will save you set up hassle on the guide.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Rhino
i used to work there..i did mostly bmx stuff and put bikes together..not many freeride bikes don't go through the shop...they will give my a discount and let me downstairs during installation...nothing big..just wondering how hard it was

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
i have an e13 srs and i bought it for about 150 including having them put it on for me. It really is a great chainguide. it works flwlessly for me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
habitatxskate said:
just wondering how hard it was
It's not hard if you have the tools to remove and reinstall your cranks and bottom bracket.

If you're patient and careful, and follow the directions word for word, there shouldn't be any problems. If you don't feel like being patient and careful, then have your LBS do it.

The instructions that come with the DRS are very good and walk you through every step of the process.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
drs all the way im running a srs and a friend of mine is running the drs. both are rockin guides and never drop chains.

ohh since your on a reign you are going to have to get the iscg adapter. not that much more just about 15 bucks is what i payed. if you install the guide yourself the adapter might need some grinding to get it to fit. ohh and another thing you have to put it behind the bb cups (i think thats right i dont know what there called, more experianced monkeys help me out here). so other than that its cake. good luck man.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
hey, i finally got the e13 srs...i gave into a single front chainring but it is definately worth it...the thing is noisy as hell but i am sure i will never drop my chain at diablo again :thumb: