Quantcast

Chainguide

speed2

Chimp
Jul 27, 2008
Slovenia
first sorry for my english it's not very good :redface:

I ride a Kona Stuff and i still have my front shifter on.
i decided to remove it and i will also remove my inner Chainring.
my question is do i need a Chain guide becoze i already have a sort of chainguide.:biggrin:
it's marked with red

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What you have isn't a chainguide, it's called a bash guard or a bash ring. It protects your chain and chainring if you smack into rocks or other obstacles.

If you are not currently dropping your chain when you ride, I'd say you probably don't need a chainguide. Try removing the derailleur and chainring and see if your chain starts falling off when you ride. If it does, you need a chainguide. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I probably wouldn't bother with something like that.

Try riding without a chainguide. If you don't drop your chain, then great - no need for anything. If you start dropping your chain, then buy a proper chainguide like an E.13 guide.

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
You probably don't want to put a chain tensioner on there unless you go singlespeed. Another alternative to a chain guide is the blackspire stinger, which is more economical and quelled my chain drop woes, but as long as the chain is taught enough, I would go with binary's recomendation

dillon

Chimp
Aug 26, 2008
Thanks for the info - I was always wondering if I needed a chain tensioner or not - makes sense. I wonder why the chain would fall off some bikes but not others?