Quantcast

Chainguides need help

Apr 17, 2008
Hi I ride an 08 big hit 1 and i do both a lot of freeriding and drops as well as racing. I need help deciding on a chainguide to buy. I have 200 bucks to spend which i know is plenty. I've been looking at the e. 13 Lg1 and the Mrp g2. I need some oppinions ive heard gamut makes some pretty good guides but want some advice.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Probably 3 of the best right there!

Can't go too wrong, Ive run the e13 for a season no issues!
plenty of color options, easy to setup! could depend on frame!

But would say same for others, Gamuts sound theyre very easy to setup, I like there bash, I have one on my AM bike, very light durable!
also have an MRP carbon lightest not as tough as the Gamut but then its lasted very well also and no signs of letting me down..

MRP G2 looks sweet, not sure about the integrated bash to roller guide it may make a stronger bash easier on the ISCG tabs again I never had an issue with my e13 but Ive heard others mention this.
So will be interesting to hear wide range of feedback on the G2 on good hard impacts, how that affects chain rentention etc, I suspect it should be pretty strong, I won't be testing one for a long time unfortunatley..

Gamut are all the rage at the mo!

Good luck with it..

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland
E.13's fit chart says that LG1 can't be fitted to '06 Big Hit. I think on '08 Big Hit has same kind of chainstays.

Fit chart also said that the SRS can't be fitted, but I have one on my '06 Big Hit. Although I had to mount the guide under BB, couldn't get it to work with ISCG.

Just for your info...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
E.13's fit chart says that LG1 can't be fitted to '06 Big Hit. I think on '08 Big Hit has same kind of chainstays.

Fit chart also said that the SRS can't be fitted, but I have one on my '06 Big Hit. Although I had to mount the guide under BB, couldn't get it to work with ISCG.

Just for your info...

Must be an error in the fit chart, the LG1 will fit the '08 Big Hit perfectly. Get the wide angle backplate version and you will be dialed!

Dave

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
sorry to hijack the thread, but could a e 13 Lg1 be fitted to a Demo 8 07 frame using some Saint cranks?? cheers to whoever could help me with that :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cheers::cheers::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
sorry to hijack the thread, but could a e 13 Lg1 be fitted to a Demo 8 07 frame using some Saint cranks?? cheers to whoever could help me with that :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cheers::cheers::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I don't see why not, the only thing that I suggest with the Saints is that you ditch the Saint chainring and use something with less offset, such as an e.thirteen guide ring. Either way it should set up no problem really.

Derek at e.thirteen can give you Bighit setup instructions too if you need them, not that its too hard, you basically take the guide out of the box and bolt it to the bike.. :)

Hope this helps!

Dave

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
oksy cheers for the info... :cheers:

I don't see why not, the only thing that I suggest with the Saints is that you ditch the Saint chainring and use something with less offset, such as an e.thirteen guide ring. Either way it should set up no problem really.

Derek at e.thirteen can give you Bighit setup instructions too if you need them, not that its too hard, you basically take the guide out of the box and bolt it to the bike.. :)

Hope this helps!

Dave

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Thats a big call on that sentence alone , seeing DW on here talking and providing advice as he has with his linkages, impresses me and like DT another in the industry who gets involved, I like that connection with brands, I can't fault the e13 LG1 for me, and I abused it hard in dry and in mud, rocks etc!

I would like to know why you think that or is it opinion, what improvements and why how is the G2 better, Ive heard some say the G2 drags allot more than the LG1 though its hersay until Ive tried it:biggrin:

So if ya got some real track comparisons it would be good to know, Ive used a mixture of all 3 brands not the G2 specifically, but if I was building a DH bike 2morrow I'd probably go e13 again just because its proven to me and there's some nice color options though I only choose black boring I know:cheers:

AiR2k

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Finland

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Now I'm a bit confused about these different models...

I have '05 SRS with non-wide backplate. Now I'm about to buy wide backplate, so it can be used with ISCG-tabs on '06 Big Hit. I'll also renew plastic parts.

Is there any incompatibility issues if I'll get "2006 5mm SRS"-plastics and "2006 Wide backplate 40t", but use old roller?

Backplate:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=11460

Plastic parts:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=11468

Thanks.
Measure the width of the two bolts that hold together the roller assembly on your current guide. If they are 6mm, you'll need to get a new pulley and hardware kit. If you don't have calipers to measure the bolt, just check to see what size allen key you need to tighten those bolts - a 5mm allen key = a 6mm bolt = new bolts/pulley needed. If it's a 4 mm allen key, that means you have 5mm hardware and you're all set.

FYI,

-JP

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

I have '05 SRS with non-wide backplate. Now I'm about to buy wide backplate, so it can be used with ISCG-tabs on '06 Big Hit. I'll also renew plastic parts.

Is there any incompatibility issues if I'll get "2006 5mm SRS"-plastics and "2006 Wide backplate 40t", but use old roller?

Backplate:

Plastic parts:

Thanks.
John P's got it dialed for you, (thanks John!) just to make sure that everything is clear, you can make the 2005 and previous roller work, but it uses a 6mm inner diameter bearing instead of a 5mm inner diameter bearing like the newer models. The lower hardware changed to 5mm instead of 6mm also.

If you are going to upgrade to the latest and greatest system, I'd suggest going all the way and just get the whole system instead of trying to piece it all together. It can be done though. Give Philip a shout at e.thirteen tech support at support@ e13components.com. He will help you out by making sure that you are getting everything that you need.

Hope this helps!

Dave

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Another Hijack....... Anything I should be awar of installing a DRS onto an 06 session 77?

I read through everything, just curious if there is anything that might not be mentioned.
Call the dudes at e13, they'll know for sure.

If you don't feel like doing that, though, snap a couple pics of the driveside BB area (with cranks removed), and I can tell you what's up.

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
Take in to consideration that the Demo frames still have a 73mm BB and a 135mm rear hub with a 6mm offset.
This set up will ideally require a crankset which can accommodate a 57mm chainline and a 73mm BB shell.
The trick will be to install the iscg adapter with the cupped side facing away from the shell, which will act as your 6mm spacer to match the front and rear chaillinnes.....just when you thought we were finished this set up will also yield the added bonus of correcting the over clockwise rotated iscg tabs at the same time.
saints will only give you a 50mm chainline paired with a 57m rear which = :(

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan

Just for your info...
the new 40T backplates are ace with the big hit frames. In your case i would go with the wide angle system which comes as a complete kit this year.

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan

Backplate:

Plastic parts:

Thanks.
At this point you will be replacing everything but the roller to get the guide installed. it will be more cost effective to just go all teh way and get a new system instead of making a Frankenstein system. With the new system you can even convert to an LG1 for race day!

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
just to clarify, derek just posted all those responses while wearing a super hero costume...

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Derek, cheers for your help..anyway, what about using a Deity crankset (old kit, not the Vendetta ones)??as I can adjust the chainline with them, will they provide me the right chainline to be used with my Demo frame??
Take in to consideration that the Demo frames still have a 73mm BB and a 135mm rear hub with a 6mm offset.
This set up will ideally require a crankset which can accommodate a 57mm chainline and a 73mm BB shell.
The trick will be to install the iscg adapter with the cupped side facing away from the shell, which will act as your 6mm spacer to match the front and rear chaillinnes.....just when you thought we were finished this set up will also yield the added bonus of correcting the over clockwise rotated iscg tabs at the same time.
saints will only give you a 50mm chainline paired with a 57m rear which = :(

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
just out of curiosity, in what way is the MRP g2 better then the LG1? I haven't dropped a chain and theres no drag, and the bash has protected perfectly and its a pretty reasonable weight..what else is there needed?

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
Derek, cheers for your help..anyway, what about using a Deity crankset (old kit, not the Vendetta ones)??as I can adjust the chainline with them, will they provide me the right chainline to be used with my Demo frame??
Presuming the spindle is long enough and you add some additional spacers this would be similar to a set up using Race Face 83mm BB-57mm chainline cranks with the after market 73mm BB reducing kit...so i believe it will be fine.
The Deity sprocket may be a bit too thick though if you're using it with the system.
:weee:

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
okay, thick in the sense it may rub with the chainguide??cheers!!:busted:

Presuming the spindle is long enough and you add some additional spacers this would be similar to a set up using Race Face 83mm BB-57mm chainline cranks with the after market 73mm BB reducing kit...so i believe it will be fine.
The Deity sprocket may be a bit too thick though if you're using it with the system.
:weee:

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
okay, thick in the sense it may rub with the chainguide??cheers!!:busted:
to simplify. yes. the ideal ring or sprocket thickness is about 3mm. the wider style sprockets are a bit too thick for use in a chain retention system. our systems for example are designed around having the backplate and bash being the backbone of the support rather than relying on the thickness of the ring. :cheers: