Quantcast

Chainless "ride"

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
On last night's ride I brushed through a tight rock section and my derailluer got pushed into my spokes and broke my hanger. I'm just too extreme I guess. :rolleyes: :cool:

I had just put one of my new SRAM racing chains on and wasn't about to waste that to make it a singlespeed, so I took the chain off, duct taped the derailluer to the bike, and "rode" my new chainless bike back. It was a cross between skootering with one foot, coasting, and pushinig. I actually had fun seeing how much speed I could keep up and what not.

Luckily I still have a spare hanger so the DEAN is back in action already! :)

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
Good fix. How far and how long? I would shoot myself if that happened on my local trail as the last 2 miles is a pretty big climb up.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
laura said:
do you have one really sore scooter leg today?
No, I had to keep alternating. My arms got more tired than my legs!

I'm not sure how far...maybe 4 miles. There were a few steep ups, but I hadn't gotten very far up the trail yet so it was more rolling with a lot of flat rocky sections that become scary when you can't pedal to get momentum through them. :hot:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Heidi said:
No, I had to keep alternating. My arms got more tired than my legs!

I'm not sure how far...maybe 4 miles. There were a few steep ups, but I hadn't gotten very far up the trail yet so it was more rolling with a lot of flat rocky sections that become scary when you can't pedal to get momentum through them. :hot:

tn had to scooter down porcupine rim once. its was rough. easier to walk most of the rocky sectins. especially the narrow parts. his pedal broke so he couldn't even stand up.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
laura said:
tn had to scooter down porcupine rim once. its was rough. easier to walk most of the rocky sectins. especially the narrow parts. his pedal broke so he couldn't even stand up.
At least that has a downhill slope to it. That would suck to have to walk down that trail since it's so damn fun!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Oh bummer about the X-9. I busted a link up a few rides back and went to get my chain too and realized I had left it on the workbench :rolleyes:. I tried doing the no chain ride but its so rocky here it was a pain in the ass. Someone finally rode by with a tool and stopped long enough to let me fix everything up.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I feel your pain Heidi.

I had a similar mechanical on my first ride in Moab this past May. I broke a der., a der. hanger, 8 or 10 spokes, and a chain. I had to ride my bike like a scooter back to the trailhead. Hey, at least it was downhill. Later in the trip, I broke my crankset (f'n RF), a pair of shoes, and had to switch out that rear wheel for a spare I had. Mechanicals rock...NOT! I'm typically very easy on my equip.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
reflux said:
I feel your pain Heidi.

I had a similar mechanical on my first ride in Moab this past May. I broke a der., a der. hanger, 8 or 10 spokes, and a chain. I had to ride my bike like a scooter back to the trailhead. Hey, at least it was downhill. Later in the trip, I broke my crankset (f'n RF), a pair of shoes, and had to switch out that rear wheel for a spare I had. Mechanicals rock...NOT! I'm typically very easy on my equip.
Dang, you must have done something to upset the karma gods!!!!!!

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I really should carry an extra. I even have a couple at home. :think:

MMcG - there is one called BLORA and one called Cameron Park. Someone else here could attest that it would suck to scooter out of either.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
Did it mess up the derailleur, Heidi. Now that I think of it, I did that on my Dean Jester when I had it and it broke the B tension screw off. Those are not easy to come by.

freeridermtb4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yea I hate the sound of snapping derailer, Ive had it happen to me also, so now I only buy x-7s, I might actually buy an x-9, they are on sale at the moment

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
We were shuttling last summer and I hit a tree while jumping and blew my derailer (sp?) into about 5 pieces. I did four more runs....All chainless....Aww yeah :cool:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Heidi said:
I had just put one of my new SRAM racing chains on and wasn't about to waste that to make it a singlespeed, so I took the chain off, duct taped the derailluer to the bike, and "rode" my new chainless bike back. It was a cross between skootering with one foot, coasting, and pushinig. I actually had fun seeing how much speed I could keep up and what not.
I have had this happen to me several times already this year. One of the funnier ones was during a group RM ride where we were doing a long DH run and I popped my RD off not far from the top. I was able to coast most of the way down, but the last 2 miles was FLAT land. A couple of monkies ended up giving me a push all the way back to the car. It was pretty damn cool.... almost better than a motor!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Heidi said:
Dang, you must have done something to upset the karma gods!!!!!!
I'd like to say I almost had it coming. I've been riding for x years, and never have I had a bad mechanical. Hell, it was actually the first time I'd damaged anything der related.