Quantcast

Chainring rubbing problem

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
So I am having a strange problem right now. I just put on a bunch of new parts on my Cannondale Prophet. All 10 speed XT with an M780 triple crank, HGX 10 speed chain and XT 10 speed cassette. Issue is that in the middle or small ring and in the higher (smaller) 2-3 gears in the cassette, the chain rubs against the larger ring. In the middle ring it is most pronounced and it makes the top 1 or 2 gears in that ring useless.

The bike takes an e-type front derailleur and, as far as I know, I have set it up right- one 2.5mm spacer on each side of the BB. I tried to compensate for the rubbing by moving the non-drive spacer to the driveside (moving the chainrings out a bit), putting it outboard of the FD plate. There is less rubbing (but still some) with the spacer moved but the chainline measurement with that setup is probably close to 54-55mm (I measured; it's definitely over 50mm). I do remember that in my previous setup on this bike (9 speed, m760 crankset) I had two spacers on the non-drive side because it gave a better chainline and FD operation. So the problem now is confusing to me.

The bike has a standard 135mm rear end. Hub is a Hadley with an 11 speed freehub with the spacer installed behind the cassette. But I think it had this problem with the stock wheel that had a standard 8/9/10 setup as well.

Any ideas?