Quantcast

Chains

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I did a small search but didnt come up with much. What chain does everyone run? I need a strong chain that shifts well. I always ran a Sram PC 59 or 69. I dont know much about the newer chains.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Shimano 7701 (xtr/durace) 9 speed. I have never had one snap on me in the 5 years i have used them. No joining links means no weak links. I used to use connex joining links but i have had them break on me, but never the chain.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cave Dweller said:
Shimano 7701 (xtr/durace) 9 speed. I have never had one snap on me in the 4 years i have used them. No joining links means no weak links. I used to use connex joining links but i have had them break on me, but never the chain.
Yep, that's the only chain I'll use. It lasts forever and it's strong too.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I had a PC-99 that I beat the crap out of on rocks and... O.K. so I'm not that smooth... but I put it through the ringer - no problems. I had a PC-69 before that, no problems either. Got rid of it casue I got the 99 really cheap and decided to upgrade.

I'll be running a PC-991 this year. The main difference between the new 991's and the 99's from last year are the link plates. For 06' the plates are bulged out like on the Shimano HG chains. I still use a Shimano block, so I think the new SRAM design will shift better than the old style PC-99's.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I have a PC-?? Hollowpin and have had a few and love them. I normally replace them, even when they arn't beat. I love them so far, but probley havn't owned the same one for longer than 6 months. I normally don't break chains no matter how much of a hack I am.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you care about a quick disconnect...connex

if you dont.. shimano xtr/dura ace (7801)

Personally I have had my best luck with the wipperman/connex as i pull my chain to clean it regularly. I have had too much blood spilled due to sram chains to use them any more.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You can also use a Sram Powerlink on a Dura-ace chain. I've been doing that for a while with good results.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Right now I am running a 105 chain...not the greatest lets put it that way... I will probobally be upgrading to a Dura Ace at some point this season.

J

JRB

Cave Dweller said:
Shimano 7701 (xtr/durace) 9 speed. I have never had one snap on me in the 5 years i have used them. No joining links means no weak links. I used to use connex joining links but i have had them break on me, but never the chain.
:stupid: with sram powerlinks though. Only broken a few power links, and always on a climb.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
There is no difference between a road chain and a mountain chain.
XTR and Dura-ace are identical.

I prefer SRAM cause I hate the shimano pin thing. I don't want to have to buy a new pin if I hav eto remove my chain.
I just buy the pc-69 and replace it once a year. They shift nice and they can be found for $20.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Currently running a shimano something or other, but have a nice Sram hollow pin standing by.

Anyone ever used a Wipperman chain? Anyone ever used a Wipperman titanium chain?

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I have snapped 3 whippermans and 1 XT in the last 2 months. Sadly i still have another 5 whippermans left here before i can get back to Durace (there is a downside to bulk buys...)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
CN7701 DuraAce/XTR chain. Relatively cheap (~25-30), as light as the hollow sram, and ultra-strong. Mushroom shaped pins on newer-generation shimano chains keep the links from sliding off under extreme torque. Just use the included special pins or a powerlink, and you're good to go.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
KMC X9 is pretty similar to the Sram chains, but once you connect it you can't take it off. They shift really well, and I've never (*knocks on wood) had one break on me. We've noticed they shift a little better than the Shimano 9sp chains. We=the entire staff at one of the premiere NorCal road shops. The X9 probably isn't the best in the world, but it's pretty good. I've got a Wipperman chain right now, and it's pretty smooth as well. No complaints yet, besides the rust on it!

J

JRB

bikenweed said:
KMC X9 is pretty similar to the Sram chains, but once you connect it you can't take it off. They shift really well, and I've never (*knocks on wood) had one break on me. We've noticed they shift a little better than the Shimano 9sp chains. We=the entire staff at one of the premiere NorCal road shops. The X9 probably isn't the best in the world, but it's pretty good. I've got a Wipperman chain right now, and it's pretty smooth as well. No complaints yet, besides the rust on it!
I broke the 2 I rode on the mountain bike. I did like it on the road. I plan to try an IRD chain next. The shop got a bro deal on them, so I figure I will try them. The plates look nice. Like I said before, I prefer the newest XT and XTR chains, before they went 10 spd. I ride everything with sram powerlinks. I keep 4 or 5 at the house at all times. I don't even mind breaking them, as it is a 10 second fix. I carry one in my pack and the bags on all of my road bikes.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
loco said:
I broke the 2 I rode on the mountain bike. I did like it on the road. I plan to try an IRD chain next. The shop got a bro deal on them, so I figure I will try them. The plates look nice. Like I said before, I prefer the newest XT and XTR chains, before they went 10 spd. I ride everything with sram powerlinks. I keep 4 or 5 at the house at all times. I don't even mind breaking them, as it is a 10 second fix. I carry one in my pack and the bags on all of my road bikes.
You broke 2 X9's? Dang. Maybe mine are lasting because I use single rings only. But I'm still climbing a 44pound DH bike up technical steep stuff everyday, and doing sprints on that same bike. I kinda think all chains are the same, and it's just a big conspiracy that one's actually better. Everyone has stories about breaking a chain in three minutes flat, so it's probably just tolerances in production and all are created equal. Who knows.

J

JRB

bikenweed said:
You broke 2 X9's? Dang. Maybe mine are lasting because I use single rings only. But I'm still climbing a 44pound DH bike up technical steep stuff everyday, and doing sprints on that same bike. I kinda think all chains are the same, and it's just a big conspiracy that one's actually better. Everyone has stories about breaking a chain in three minutes flat, so it's probably just tolerances in production and all are created equal. Who knows.
You are likely right. I do like the plates on Dura Ace chains, but I also pay $25 or less for them. I figure bikes are useless without chains, so I replace them often and don't mind $25 - 30 for them. It beats walking out. Shimano chains were horrible before they mushroomed the pins. I can't ride more than a month on a Sram chain without breaking them these days.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah, 9spd chains to pop easier than 8spd did. PC-69 is the way to go, all the SRAM chains are about the same strength, you just loose weight as you get more expensive.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive been running a PC59 for 2 seasons. I put a new cassette and rear derailer on and now the chain is making noise. I assume its the old chain on the new cassette and derailer. The LBS has a Sram PC69.....

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I think I got a defective dura ace chain a couple years ago. I broke it 4 times in 3 rides and then just threw it out. I've only broke a sram once since then between my two bikes. I use PC69's and 99's now.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I have some cheap shimano chain now. It's alright but it rusts quickly. The sram pc series is much better than shimano chains IMO.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
SuspectDevice said:
I run Sram PC58 chains on all of my gravity bikes. 9 speed is a horrible scam.

I couldn't agree more. But until somebody starts making highend 8sp stuff again, there isn't much choice.

I'm out of all my horded 8sp parts.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
buildyourown said:
I couldn't agree more. But until somebody starts making highend 8sp stuff again, there isn't much choice.

I'm out of all my horded 8sp parts.

8 Speed x7 is plenty good enough for me. Best shifting ever!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
On this topic, anyone know if you can safely use a SRAM quick link with a Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR chain without any problems?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
sram pc-990 (used to be pc-99) works great, use them on almost all my bikes. The wipperman chains are also very nice, I have a couple connex 909s, I use the sram masterlink with them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Kanter said:
Ive been running a PC59 for 2 seasons. I put a new cassette and rear derailer on and now the chain is making noise. I assume its the old chain on the new cassette and derailer. The LBS has a Sram PC69.....

Oh Dear..... Stop riding... get the new chain for those nice new gears......ANyways My Bro rides a wipperman, no troubles.... the KMC chains... is what my Ride came with... didnt last one ride before i killed my forearms and had to Ghetto rapir it... its a good chain ... But not for bigger guys!!!.... For anyone who isnt sure when its time to replace your chain here is a link to an awesome tool to have handy

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-2

And another version

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-3

Keep these handy and you wont find yourself breaking chains again

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
DirtyMike said:
Oh Dear..... Stop riding... get the new chain for those nice new gears......ANyways My Bro rides a wipperman, no troubles.... the KMC chains... is what my Ride came with... didnt last one ride before i killed my forearms and had to Ghetto rapir it... its a good chain ... But not for bigger guys!!!.... For anyone who isnt sure when its time to replace your chain here is a link to an awesome tool to have handy

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-2

And another version

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-3

Keep these handy and you wont find yourself breaking chains again

Oh dear, stop riding until you get a tool to measure if your chain is shot. Whatever will you do without it?

Why do ya have to be a smart a$$. I was making a statement that I built up my new Fly and didnt replace the chain. Now its making terrible noise on the cassette and shifting terrible. Since I just spent a crap load of money, I want my bike to run like a top.