Quantcast

Champery 2011 WC?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Somewhere in Europe would have a good chance for winning then for 2011...

Big difference between Aussie's offerings and Champery's...

Italy's Champs track will be damn hard to beat though.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
insane track, i agree... you've gotta be talented for sure to ride a track like that

Granted I never walked the course, but saw the vids and pics....Too burly for a world championship track, hope they do not get it.
....but i agree with stik as well... for the world champs... i'd rather not award to the guy who crashed the least in their run. just my 2 cents

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Its a fine line between gnarly and too gnarly. Like has been stated, you don't want the race to be decided by who fell the least.
You mean you'd prefer some sort of race where skill and handling wasn't a contributor?

I'm not sure I understand why it would be a bad idea.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Its a fine line between gnarly and too gnarly. Like has been stated, you don't want the race to be decided by who fell the least.
Come on, it's gnarly and insane, but the top riders were still riding it at retarded speeds. Sure the crash rate was higher than most races, but harden up!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
WTF? Yeah you'd hate to have a world championship course that actually challenged the world's top riders...
When you get all of the worlds best in one place, they can be challenged on a paved flat street. All I am saying is that an ideal world championships has to keep in mind that there are some less experienced/less worldy traveled riders (slower women and juniors as well).

Champery seems to be a little over the top for a world champs, fine as a stop on a series (shows best overall rider who can ride steep, greasy sketch to boring fireroad) but maybe not the best world champs track. Again, I did not walk it, just heard about it from friends and saw pics and videos.

Do not worry socket, I will not lose any sleep if in fact there is a world champs in champery, I am sure 2011 worlds will be a good one no matter where its at.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
You mean you'd prefer some sort of race where skill and handling wasn't a contributor?

I'm not sure I understand why it would be a bad idea.
Pretty sure there is some middle ground between super gnarly ridiculous steep and something that doesn't require skill and handling....

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Champery is an awesome course. Great fun to ride.

If you can't ride it, perhaps you shouldn't be representing your country...

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
World Champs should be the best Hardest course they can find. I agree with Damo, if you can't ride it you shouldn't be there. Its should be the best of the best.

LBJ

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm with the above - if you can't ride it, you shouldn't be there.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Its should be the best of the best.
Reality is it is not the absolute best of the best, it is the best each country has to offer, if you have ever been to a Worlds you will know that the best of Australian elite men is a long way from the best of Fijis best men and even further from the best of Kazakstahns best junior women, in fact they are likely a million miles away in skill from even the Junior womens world champ, yet all have an equal right to be there as the best there country has to offer. Unless some form of ranking was implemented to allow only the top x percentage in the World through to the event the Worlds will always be somewhere where the field is large and varied in ability, much more so than a World Cup.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Reality is it is not the absolute best of the best, it is the best each country has to offer, if you have ever been to a Worlds you will know that the best of Australian elite men is a long way from the best of Fijis best men and even further from the best of Kazakstahns best junior women, in fact they are likely a million miles away in skill from even the Junior womens world champ, yet all have an equal right to be there as the best there country has to offer. Unless some form of ranking was implemented to allow only the top x percentage in the World through to the event the Worlds will always be somewhere where the field is large and varied in ability, much more so than a World Cup.
Suck it up - if you want to compete directly against the best of the best, for the title of world champion, you can damn well ride something difficult. Champery is insane, but it IS rideable.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Suck it up - if you want to compete directly against the best of the best, for the title of world champion, you can damn well ride something difficult. Champery is insane, but it IS rideable.
Yeah... I don't understand why you'd want to tone down the World Champs to suit people who shouldn't apply for the title.

That's capping the Olympic high jump to suit the midget competitors.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There are countries who just don't send who every claim they can ride down hill and have qualification requirements. Especially for down hill that makes a lot of sense.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Champery only has an XC race planned to my knowledge. The track gets easier the more people ride it. The lines are much more worked in now. It is a tech freeride trail, IMO but it definately proved who was at the top of the sport. Sam liked it.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
World Champs should be the best Hardest course they can find. I agree with Damo, if you can't ride it you shouldn't be there. Its should be the best of the best.

LBJ
a lot of accomplished WC riders will tell you that Champery is not the "best hardest course they can find." Just being super hard doesn't automatically make it a great track and many of the 'best of the best' will tell you the same thing.

Some of the greatest tracks in history aren't even very difficult (Maribor, Ste. Anne, Nevegal), and many of them are a ton of fun to ride but they are extremely hard to go fast on; that's usually what makes a great track.