Quantcast

Change Code5 levers for Codes

adam12

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
Carson City
I am not happy at all with the feel of the Code5 levers. Regardless of how many times I bleed, they never feel solid. Both pairs of Juicy 7s I have ridden have had great lever feel.

Would the standard Code levers feel more solid?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Take a look at this link: http://dirtmag.co.uk/worldcup/category/news/saturday-fort-william-pits-round-up/dirt-1235184.html

I have heard other people complain that Codes feel on or off when you pull them, they don't seem to have the same modulation you get out of Juicy brakes for some reason. I personally don't run Code so I can't make a direct comparison but I do really like my Juicy brakes. I also have a friend that races for Sram out of CO and he runs the Elixir levers on his Codes. He said the ergonomics of those levers are much better than others.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
I have run normal codes and the juicy/code set up. I personally prefer the juicy levers with the code calipers, there seems to be a bit more modulation in power, not sure why, but just what i noticed.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
code lever bodies tend to develop a leak at the rear of the MC bore. They do kinda feel on or off, and they require constant bleeding. Go with juicy or ultimate lever bodies.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
code lever bodies tend to develop a leak at the rear of the MC bore. They do kinda feel on or off, and they require constant bleeding. Go with juicy or ultimate lever bodies.
How would you go about diagnosing this situation. I bled my codes, rode them for a day, and put the bike away for a month. I picked it up tonight and almost no brakes. I need to re-bleed them. If there's a leak somewhere, I'd like to know before getting other levers....:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
if they are leaking it is usually from the rear of the M cylinder bore right by where the lever blade attaches. if they need bled you usually can just pull air out of the lever and push more fluid back in.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
if they are leaking it is usually from the rear of the M cylinder bore right by where the lever blade attaches. if they need bled you usually can just pull air out of the lever and push more fluid back in.
Cool, thanks! I'll have a closer look. Another quick question. Usually, when you start the day with no brakes (I could pull the lever to the bar), and then by the end of the evening I had full brakes (lever stopped about an inch from the bar), that means that there's air in the system right?

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
you most like have air if the brakes get better though the day.

For some reason the code calipers don't self-adjust though out the day. usually I have less and less brake though the day, and I have to pump the pads out by the end of a hard day.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You guys have some seriously F-ed up brakes. Your brakes should work like any hyrdo brake system, such as on a car. You shouldn't have to bleed them, you shouldn't get inconsistant lever feel, and the pads should be self-adjusting. I have Code 5s with none of the problems listed. Seriously, if your brake is leaking (the only thing that could cause air in the system after a bleed) you need to either send it in, or figure out what/where it's leaking. I don't know if this can be attributed to a "bad" bleed, and never getting a "good" bleed, but these are dumb-simple hydro brake systems, there isn't that much to go wrong. They aren't going to feel one way one day, and differently the next unless they are actually leaking.

Oh yeah, the lever is always "crisp", a little moreso than I'd like. Not as much modulation as my Hopes, but power is very good. They are never mushy. Not a fan of the lever-shape.

Last edited:

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
dont bother buying code levers....me and a few friends went through 5 sets of lever internals in half a year...luckily they were under warranty...the piston that pushes brake fluid to the caliper get stuck inside the hole locking everything up and the pad adjustment knob leaks like theres no tomorrow (not turned all the way in/out)

if you have the chance to get elixir cr/juicy 7 or ultimate levers, go for them..they feel and perform a lot better with code calipers...less problems and more modulation

unfortunately the dealer here doesnt sell seperate brake parts so some of my friends end up buying a pair of code 5s and a pair of elixirs...strip the calipers from the code 5s and the main lever assembly from the elixirs and use them