Quantcast

Changing the cage on RD-M952-SGS (XTR rear derailer)

B

bighitfsr

My XTR-M952-GS derailer is on its last legs and they dont seem to be available anymore.

I can get XTR-M952-SGS long cage derailers but I'd rather not run a long cage derailer as they snag on rocks and sticks to easily.
The cage on my old M952-GS is still in good nick.

Questions:

1) Can I replace the cage on a M952-SGS with the cage from my old M952-GS?

2) How about replacing the cage with a road derailer cage (105 or ultegra)?

Thanks in Advance.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
pretty sure you can swap the cages within the XTR's but not positive. No idea about the road ones though...good question.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well i don't thing the cages on the 105/ultegra are even removable. only dura-ace that i know of. also

is the older XTR cage a 8spd and the new a 9spd?
then no.

if not, i think you should be able too. but i would not recommend this at all with shimano parts.

B

bighitfsr

First off thanks to eveyone who replied.

Last night a sucessfully swapped the cage from one 9sp XTR-RD-M952-GS to another no probs the only tool required is an allen key.

I also checked out my impressive collection of toasted derailiers including 105, LX, XT and Ultegra. Its not possible to remove the cages on those derailers from what I can tell.

Dura-ace being at the same level as XTR almost certainly has a removable cage. I'm about to call my LBS to get a price on a dura-ace short cage (just the cage). If the price isnt too high I'll order some and try to make a uber short cage XTR derailer. I'll post back and let you know how it worked out.

I reckon the XTR/durace hybrid will be the ultimate DH derailer (not rapid rise and more out of the way than XO/X9 or even short cage XT). My expirence with road derailers was although they rarely got hit when they do it takes very little to bend the parralell links. XTR mid cage has been the best derailer in my expirence with my current one on its last legs after about 12 months use (bent parralell links).

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
You can definitely remove the cages on 105's - I do it all the time to keep derailleurs alive on my DH bike. There's just a pin near the "knuckle" of the cage that you can unscrew; the aluminum near the head is caved in to prevent it from backing out but it'll come out easily enough.

I am pretty sure ALL the lower-end Shimano's come apart this way. I only bother with 105's and XTRs though, so I don't have a ton of experience. The one ancient STX-RC that I took apart worked the exact same way.

BTW, 105 and XTR cages do not appear to be interchangeable.

Honestly, why bother with all the trouble to make a SS cage XTR, when you can just get a SS cage 105, complete, for ~$30 online? That's all I do anymore....it doesn't shift any worse to be honest.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I disagree. I have run 105's and xtr and xtr does shift alot smother. If you can put the shortcage on a 952 xtr it would be alot smother and stronger as well.

B

bighitfsr

"I disagree. I have run 105's and xtr and xtr does shift alot smother. If you can put the shortcage on a 952 xtr it would be alot smother and stronger as well."

Also I've found that the two parralell links in the derailers to be the most common area of failure (B-tension is also common but its replacable). In this area an XTR is much stronger than a 105.

This is the whole reason for making the XTR super short cage.