Quantcast

Changing tires = th3 svck

Kaleid

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Nashua, NH
Finally found an acceptable deal on some studded tires. Had to remove my 'streetish' tires off my spare wheelset.. what a freaking pitfa..... I have no idea where my stupid tyre levers are...

Anyway get the new studs all set up and turned to my replacing the tubeless tires. Now - I'm completely new to the tubeless revolution.

So I get the front tire off, get the new one on, making sure to install it in the correct orientation. Get it seated, inflated, put on the bike.

yeah, you guessed it - backwards. fawk! fawk! fawwwwwk!

get it off, turned around, reinstalled,..... all the goo crap they put in to seal the previous 2bliss tires are messing up the valve stem.

have to take the tire back off, remove the valve stem, clean it up a bit.

umm.. ended up in the bathroom - running it under the water to clear it out. hot water - way too hot water.. Need something to hold the stem whilst I run it under the way to freaking hawt water!

get the valve stem working again, plug it into the pump just to make sure - reinstall.

FAWKING TYRE WILL NOT GO BACK ON. twentyfreakingminutes of working at that bastid.

finally - success is mine.

Turn to the rear wheel.. not too much trouble, on the right direction first time.

So, not too bad, they are on and holding air - what was all that gooey liquid crap in the tires for?

four tires off (unless you count the one I had to do three times as three separate tires) Four tires on..

My fingers hurt :nopity:

The handle of a table knife, a screwdriver, or something similar serves perfectly well as a tire iron in a pinch.

I have one wheel with a tubeless rim, but have never tried a tubeless tire, haven't been convinced of the benefit.

I guess it is about time for the studs to go on, isn't it?

J

Kaleid

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Nashua, NH
Somehow I convinced the wife of the need for a spare wheelset a few years ago.. they are now wrapped in the wheelset.

I've been slowly convincing her of the need to keep my hardtail (since the recent acquisition of my FS).. and the winter is a perfect excuse!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
With the exception of some wire bead downhill tires, I can mount most anything without levers. Of course in a good month I'll do hundreds of tires but it really is quite easy. The basic idea is to keep the beads centered in the drop channel of the rim and work the beads over in small sections.

The brown liquid in your tubeless tires was likely some very old sealant. It's in there for puncture protection and because some tubeless tires are anything but air tight without some type of sealant.