Quantcast

charleston

ridingdown

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
anyone here live in charleston or know of any good riding there? my business will be transferring me there in january and i need to find some places to ride. any info is appreciated
thanks

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
the urban/trials is ok, ...but other then that, thats about it. No real freeride spots that I know of, other than in columbia.

theres a spot that has 12 miles of xc singletrack north of town in goose creek, but its not too great.

all in all, charleston is a really dry area for any sort of mountain biking.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
I'm tryin to meet up with Don this weekend to go over some ideas, but he seems pretty open to the concept. I think all we need are some bodys to do the work. Know of any volenteers? I'll try to give you a shout today, may be downtown riding if the rain stops

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Surfing i can see, but motocross? It's just as far to race moto as it is to find a good place to ride! I know, i rode moto for 18 years and it's like 2 hours to the nearest track. Oh-well, I'm working on the riding part.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
anyone here live in charleston or know of any good riding there? my business will be transferring me there in january and i need to find some places to ride. any info is appreciated
thanks
You might be better off trying to ride BMX with your mountain bike.Or build yourself a slalom course from the dirt ?
I believe your going to have a hard time making lot's of manmade stunts to ride freeride where it's flat. They always get torn down.
Florida has about one spot left for freeride style from what i read in Dirt Rag magazine.
Freeriding wasn't invented in flat geographical areas!!:lighten:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Surfing i can see, but motocross? It's just as far to race moto as it is to find a good place to ride! I know, i rode moto for 18 years and it's like 2 hours to the nearest track. Oh-well, I'm working on the riding part.
he likes to go very, very fast...and very big...two things in Charleston that are tough to combine in Charleston.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Anyone have any suggestions on turning flat into flow? My idea was elevated ladder to double, to double ,to double, and so on. Got any better ideas, I'm all ears;)
go to IMBA's website and search for "Santos" or get in your car and drive down to Orlando to experience it.

Also, there is a place at the Georgia state line of SC that is supposed to be a gigantic pump track of a trail...check it out for ideas...only a few hours drive for you..and mostly flat from what I understand. It's also on IMBA's site in SC trails. Others on here know the name and there is a video of it on IMBA's site too.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
i wouldn't surf or moto, i own a motorcycle, but i dont need an engine to ride through the woods. As for Surfing, i spent my summers in VA beach, and the surfs better there then Charleston, thats not saying much, but i traded in my board for a hobbie cat 16. haha!! I'm David by the way. I'm kind of in Iraq right now, i'll be back in January

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Well guys, its good to at least see some activity with some ideas of freeridding in Charleston, i've been here for 3 years, and untill i moved into my house, i've spent most of the time on my road bike. Coming from the mountains of VA, i was really upset to let dust collect my mountain bikes. But lets see, i got a patch of woods behind my house has some small hill action, I was going to play with it once i get home. And there is a new BMX track in Goose Creek, they told me i can register under the cruiser class and race on weekends. Downtown gets boring, you can only spot some much on your own. And as for Iraq, well, its taken me 2 months to find a shovel, so i should be able to make some fun with all this dirt around.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
OH! and one last thing ( yeah, i sit at a computer for 12 hours a day in Iraq, i dont get to shoot people, so i have nothing better to do than sitting here and up post up on ridemonkey) for the new guy, theres some guys up in Columbia, they have some trails. From what pictures i've seem, it looks nice. But when i talked to them, they seemed to act as if no one was good enough to ride their trails unless they were strickly freeride/DH guys, and you were a pussy if you cant make the hour 45min drive to meet them at there trails they dont give directions too, worried that too many ridders will be in the woods. I, dont know. Maybe one day i'll go meet them, but as of now, i'll just stick with my bro's in VA, and do brush mt. and Snowshoes days. and try to make the low country into the huck country.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
Well guys, its good to at least see some activity with some ideas of freeridding in Charleston, i've been here for 3 years, and untill i moved into my house, i've spent most of the time on my road bike. Coming from the mountains of VA, i was really upset to let dust collect my mountain bikes. But lets see, i got a patch of woods behind my house has some small hill action, I was going to play with it once i get home. And there is a new BMX track in Goose Creek, they told me i can register under the cruiser class and race on weekends. Downtown gets boring, you can only spot some much on your own. And as for Iraq, well, its taken me 2 months to find a shovel, so i should be able to make some fun with all this dirt around.

Agreed about downtown getting boring after a while...I live downtown and am out nearly everyday riding urban and such and it has gotten really lame. Some stuff might be going in up in marrington and hopefully we'll be able to build some DJs to satiate our appetites for a little bit.

My advice, get on 26 and head on up to asheville as Butch said...if the college education wasn't free, then this would be the last place I would want to be.

edited just for you Butch.