Quantcast

Cheap camping near plattekill and diablo?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey all, making a mini road trip after I drop my bro off at syracuse and I'd love some info about cheap places to crash in the areas of plattekill and diablo.

I'm gonna ride platte on saturday and diablo on sunday if anybody wants to meet up and ride :cool:

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I just did a 5 resorts-in-5-days tour with Whale. I suggest that if you can swing it, go to Bromont, Quebec outside Montreal for the best trails in the east I've seen. Also, Whiteface near Lake Placid has a big DH race 3 Sept, big as in big vert (2500'). But Bromont has best trail quality. Diablo always good, have season pass, but Bromont....drool.....

Pkill - lift is sooooo o o o o slo - o o o o ooooowwwwwwwww.
Camping on spot.

Diablo - all public campgrounds seem to be ok. Wawayanda is good. Pirate camping possible on AT at the trailhead on edge of Vernon.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
how far is highpoint state park from diablo. I should be going up there this weekend for the race and I saw those 2 they listed on the us open page but more options are always better.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
where did you end up staying, and how was it? Never been to highpoint myself.
We just drove up past High Point State Park and it's doesn't seem all that close to Diablo at all considering you're winding up roads through the foothills. Incidently the highest point in New Jersey is here (hence the name) at around 1800 ft. For comparison, the vertical drop at Whiteface where I am now is 2500 ft. :)

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i rode diablo in the rain and it nearly killed me. it was misting all day and everything was soo slimy. i'm used to cali and i need to figure out what to do with wet rocks. my panaracer frs do not work work in the wet either. anybody got suggestions for a better east coast tire for the fall?