Quantcast

cheapest alternative to repair my rear shock

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I have a 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler with a 5th Element rear coil shock. The seals are all old and have leaked out all the oil. The manufacturer has gone out of business and the seals cannot be serviced. I'm am extremely poor right now and don't have that much budget. I can probably pull around $150 although $100 would be better.

To be honest, at the moment, I would be happy if I could somehow lock out the rear shock so I can ride around town and get some much needed exercise.

1. Avalanche will rebuild the existing shock for around $200. Too expensive.
2. I've been monitoring ebay for cheap coil options (7.875 x 2). I've found nothing cheap
3. Checked craigslist periodically

Should I look for air shocks as well? I'm a heavy rider so I would need a cheap air shock and can handle a heavier rider. Does such a thing exist?

Is there any kind of metalwork or DIY option that would allow me to lock the rear shock? I currently live about 4 hours from any actual trails so I won't be using the bike for its intended purpose. I would just like to ride around town a bit and get some exercise.

Please help me out with a few options or ideas.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Trade down to a decent hardtail. It will be better suited for your use and shouldn't cost you a dime.

Throw your bike on CL and I bet you will get somebody looking for a full suspension to trade you.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I think I have a Vanilla I'll send you for free. Just pay the shipping. 75% sure it's 7.875 x 2. I know it's just been sitting in my parts bin for a while. Came off of my 05 Kona Coiler forever ago when I upgraded to a DHX.

Last edited: