Quantcast

Cheapest new laptop possible

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am looking to pick up the cheapest new laptop possible. Just something with a fresh install of Windows, 15 inch screen, no graphics or sound cards.

Any suggestions?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I see a lot of brand new centrino M, wifi, 15" screens with cd burner, dvd reader, 512MbRAM for $399... bestbuy, compusa, microcenter, office depot.

I picked on up some months back, a Compaq. Serves the need.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, has anyone bought a refurbished laptop? I love to keep the cost under $300.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Talk to MIT....they were trying to build the $100, crank-powered laptop...see how that's going...

On a serious note...I'd be wary of refurbished anything. Especially something as tenuous as a laptop. I've actually looked at the ones' Opie mentioned. Looked like a screamin' deal to me.

BV? Input?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
On a serious note...I'd be wary of refurbished anything. Especially something as tenuous as a laptop. I've actually looked at the ones' Opie mentioned. Looked like a screamin' deal to me.

BV? Input?
http://www.delloutlet.com

Dell refurbished laptops are as good as new (or better maybe since they are more thoroughly tested), even the ones that say scratch and dent (we usually buy the certified refurbished ones though). The only laptop we've ever had to return from Dell was a brand new one we purchase through the regular business division.

Refurbs come with the same warranty as brand new units and you can still by warranty extensions if you want.

Cheapest Dell Inspiron Cert. Refurb. $459

I recommend a bit more expensive latitude series in refurbished, slightly more expensive but they come with 3 year warranties instead of 1 plus US based technical support.

Good bang for buck...Core 2 Duo $710

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dell refurbs are great.

I guess I'd just wonder if you don't need a sound card or anything on a laptop... is there another device that might suit your needs better?

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I've been looking around a little my self and it seems like Acer come with good performance compared to price. Cheaper than Toshiba, Asus and FujitsuSiemens anyway.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Dell refurbs are great.

I guess I'd just wonder if you don't need a sound card or anything on a laptop... is there another device that might suit your needs better?
Well, if it saves $50, then I don't want a sound card. But I am sure it is only a miminal savings, if any.

So is the recommendation refurbs from Dell, or any Dell refurb?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well, if it saves $50, then I don't want a sound card. But I am sure it is only a miminal savings, if any.

So is the recommendation refurbs from Dell, or any Dell refurb?
I'm pretty sure most laptops have sound and video hardwired to the motherboard, so not an option.

However, you will want audio. You'll want to listen to music, watch u2b, whatever.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Laptops use all-in-one motherboards and the only options are with or without modem. If you are really looking to spend short cash, and don't mind have older technology, the guy I used to word for sells laptops that he buys from leasing companies. He formats the HD, and fresh loads win2k on them. At least he did when I worked for him. If you are interested, I can make a few inquires for you.