Quantcast

Cheapest Rifle round besides .22lr?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So I've been looking for a rifle lately, and at first I was looking at .22s but I think I want to go ahead and get something a little bigger. But I also don't want to spend a fortune on ammo to practice with it. My budget is $400 or less. Go.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
there are plenty of cheap rifles under $400....go to any gun shop or look online
surplus mosin nagants usually sell for $85-100

Last edited:

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Right now I'm looking at .223 rifles. I'd use .223 for practice and 5.56x45 NATO for hunting. That looks like the best option as far as ammo price goes.
This. For me this makes the Mini-14 Ranch in stainless with synthetic stock perfect for my TEOTWAWKI weapon. There oughta be plenty of 5.56x45 laying around when it all goes down.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Right now I'm looking at .223 rifles. I'd use .223 for practice and 5.56x45 NATO for hunting. That looks like the best option as far as ammo price goes.
I'd reverse that, eg. 556nato for practice and .223 for hunting.

The rounds are similar, but not the same. You can shoot 556NATO in a .223 chambered weapon, but you cannot use .223 in a 556NATO chambered weapon. At 300 yards, my grouping is noticably tighter when I fire .223 out of my .223 AR15, than when I shoot 556NATO out of my .223 AR15.

you got that backwards dude. it's not advisable to shoot 5.56nato in a .223 chamber....where as, you can shoot .223 in a 5.56nato chamber. differences are subtle, but significant. namely, neck and headspacing. also many consumer-grade .223 ARs are not necessarily made to handle the higher pressures of a military 5.56NATO cartridge.

cheapest rifle round is gonna be a russian round. you can get an AK (or variant) for fairly cheap. you do sacrifice accuracy and ergonomics imho. surplus russian ammo are also of dubious quality, meaning loads are inconsistent and some downright dangerous. they are also very dirty and can be corrosive.

i personally choose to not own the weapons of my enemies.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
surplus mosin nagants usually sell for $85-100
After a ridiculous amount of research I might actually go with this.. :crazy:

There's tons of information on cleaning them up and making them accurate, and 7.62x54R ammo is relatively inexpensive.

I could refinish the wood, buff and polish all the metal, and mount a scope. I could put a lot of time into it and fix one up real nice. I know a few of you guys have MNs, any tips on buying? I'm going to start searching tomorrow.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I looked at some cost per round site, and I found that 5.45mm, which is what the AK-74 fires, is the cheapest.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
After a ridiculous amount of research I might actually go with this.. :crazy:

There's tons of information on cleaning them up and making them accurate, and 7.62x54R ammo is relatively inexpensive.

I could refinish the wood, buff and polish all the metal, and mount a scope. I could put a lot of time into it and fix one up real nice. I know a few of you guys have MNs, any tips on buying? I'm going to start searching tomorrow.
don't know if you have a big5 where you are, but i got both of mine for around $100/ea, plus a 440 round spam can of ammo was also $100 (delivered).

another plus: they're dipped in about a quart of grease suitable for your cruiser/commuter rig

e: holy crap, ammo is wicked cheap! http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/440-rds-762x54r-russian-military-surplus-148-grain-light-ball-ammo-no-crates

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
It was good enough for Vasily Zaytsev... it should be good enough for anyone right?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
http://badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html

AWESOME!!! :rofl: :rofl:

In the winter of 1939, the Soviet Union was dicks. Russian Premier Josef Stalin thought it would be really fcvking hilarious if he all of a sudden sent like two million of his dudes over to nearby Finland to start kicking everyone's asses and seizing whatever land he could get his borsch-covered hands on, while simultaneously kicking puppies and shouting profanities at inanimate objects in a vodka-and-caviar induced roid rage. While this may have been a laugh riot for Stalin and his numbnuts cronies, the Finnish people obviously were a little unhappy with the prospect of having all their cross-country skis, Winter Olympics gold medals and salmon fishing boats captured by a rampaging horde of godless commie bastards, so they decided to open an extra-large can of whoop-ass and give the Russkies the ballsack kicking they were apparently looking for.