Quantcast

Check out the new travis, it's replacing the dorado

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Well, - that depends !!! My fork is quite rigid and they take up the smal stuff way better than the normal forks !!! If you want a stiff fork go and buy a Monster.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
scottishmark said:
but only in certain (well one) areas. clearly most mainstream manufacturers are finding that the best overall performance is coming from conventional forks

Well, - we will have to wait and see about that. The Travis has to be a super fork if it is going to outperform the Dorado :thumb:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
dante said:
except of course in stiffness, weight and price... :think:
Not so sure stiffer is better.........also a USD fork won't be as tall.......and has less moving weight.......

Biker Grove

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
seismic said:
Stiffness.......yes :o:

Weight....not necessarily :think:

Price....who cares :eviltongu

PERFORMANCE.....NO ! USD...hands down ! :nuts:
Well in regards to stiffness it depends on the overlap, the bushings and size of the upper/lower legs. Avalanche DHF8 and MTN8 don't seem to have much of a flex problem from what I HAVE HEARD, (<note that) nor does that Foes fork- it does have an oversize hub though.

Either way, it looks like Manipoo is marketing YET another fork, which will live and sell on a firm foundation of hype and marketing BS. Until people realize it's a POS then they'll make something else and hype the hell out of that. Manipoo suck. That fork looks cheap and nasty.......well, it is a Manipoo :thumb: Plus it'll be a right rip-off here in Britain like most the frames/forks from the states. No offense, but stuff here in Blighty is FOOKING expensive compared to the states, from my experience.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Biker Grove said:
No offense, but stuff here in Blighty is FOOKING expensive compared to the states, from my experience.
Don't you have more buying power because of our weak dollar........?......or doesnt it work like that.......

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey Siesmic! How! Do you! Like it!?

(What's up with the exclamation points?)

Anyway, after my experience with 888, I don't think regular forks need to give up anything in small bump performace. The new manitous are supposed to have an oil bath so I'm optimistic.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
seismic said:
Well, - we will have to wait and see about that. The Travis has to be a super fork if it is going to outperform the Dorado :thumb:
i was riding with a manitou tech this weekend @ whistler - he just got hold of a travis. his first impressions were VERY good. he was stoked; definately an improvement over the dorado in his opinion. we will see...

Biker Grove

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Cant Climb said:
Don't you have more buying power because of our weak dollar........?......or doesnt it work like that.......
Well dude, the dollar has indeed weakened, yeah. Something like $1.9=£1, I think. Stuff is still pretty much the same price though, last I checked.

Foes DHS Mono is around £2600, Intense M3 is about £2600 too. Brooklyn racelink about £3000 ans so on... I bet you yanks get an M3 for like $2300 or similar, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd be interested to know.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
OGRipper said:
Hey Siesmic! How! Do you! Like it!?

(What's up with the exclamation points?)

Anyway, after my experience with 888, I don't think regular forks need to give up anything in small bump performace. The new manitous are supposed to have an oil bath so I'm optimistic.

Sorry........???.........like what ?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
bizutch said:
I give it 1 trip to the East Coast and our rainy season for it to become a fully rigid fork.
and this is based on:
a) your degree in fluid dynamics
b) riding experience with the Travis fork lineup
c) close examination of materials and expanded fork drawings of the Travis
d) pure e-speculation pulled straight out of your ass.

:think:

:blah:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
dante said:
and this is based on:
a) your degree in fluid dynamics
b) riding experience with the Travis fork lineup
c) close examination of materials and expanded fork drawings of the Travis
d) pure e-speculation pulled straight out of your ass.

:think:

:blah:
the answer is:

e) all of the above

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
OGRipper said:
How's the off-camber wet root sensitivity with theese new super stiff forks...?.....when i had a Boxxer it felt like it was playing ping-pong with my headtube......

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
While risking getting flamed I sometimes wonder why people are buying Boxxers (or Rock Shox ) at all. When I look at the people around me the forks either feel terrible or they have to be serviced all the time to work great........

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
[Quoute=Cant Climb]How's the off-camber wet root sensitivity with theese new super stiff forks...?.....when i had a Boxxer it felt like it was playing ping-pong with my headtube.....[/Quote]

Not really sure what you mean. To me stiffness refers to resistence to twisting, fore and aft flex, etc., not suspension feel. Stiff lowers are super important on off-camber stuff to prevent twisting and keep things tracking straight. In my experience USD forks ordinarily twist more and don't perform as well in off-camber situations. As for wet root sensitivity, IMO the 888 has way better small bump sensitivity than boxxers from prior years - no contest, whether the roots are dry or wet ( :confused: ). I don't have any time on the new crop of boxxers but I understand the damping is similar.

Anyway, for years I've really liked the manitou forks but felt they needed an oil bath and less SPV platform stuff. The word is that is exactly what they did with the new travis line. Maybe it's marketing but I'm curious to see how it works out.

seismic said:
Sorry........???.........like what ?
No, I'm sorry too, kinda grumpy this morning. It was too early to see all this:

seismic said:
Well, - that depends !!! My fork is quite rigid and they take up the smal stuff way better than the normal forks !!!
seismic said:
you are right ! But I still believe an USD will out-perform a conventional fork !
seismic said:
seismic said:
PERFORMANCE.....NO ! USD...hands down !

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Transcend said:
because you hadn't tuned your boxxer properly. :nopity:
that's true......i tried though, always found them tough to set up for my weight.....eventually gave up.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
seismic said:
While risking getting flamed I sometimes wonder why people are buying Boxxers (or Rock Shox ) at all. When I look at the people around me the forks either feel terrible or they have to be serviced all the time to work great........
What Transend said. I owned a boxxer for a couple of years and really liked it once I got it dialed. It was super easy to service and performed consistently. I got rid of it last year because I wanted more travel and a little more stiffness for my 200 lb lard ass. If the 8" boxxers were available last year I probably would have gone with one of those. Now I love my 888 and don't think I'll need another fork for a while.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Cant Climb said:
that's true......i tried though, always found them tough to set up for my weight.....eventually gave up.
ya, well that will cause all sorts of issues mate. Easiest way - get the proper spring weight..as soft and you can get away with with 2-3 preload biscuits.

Then give it a bit of compression damping, and a bit of rebound damping. You should be good to go from there. Just use the proper oil weight and recommended levels (i used 2.5wt rebound, 7.5wt compression)

It isn't a relatively hard thing to do, and if you maintain it (IE: wipe it down and change oil periodically) it will perform flawlessly. People who have exploding boxxers ona regular basis do not take care of them properly.

edit: I taype gud

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I just sent my '05 Boxxer to Push Industries, should have it back next week. I'll be happy to write a review so you guys can determine if it's worth the extra cost. I don't mean to SPAM Push, I'm not sponsored by them, i'm just really curious to see how much of a difference it makes. total thread derailment, sorry.

So, that new Travis looks really tall, but I e-hear that it's really plush.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The axle-crown on the 200mm single crown is apparently 23.5", which is tall but not bad at all for what it is. That's the same dimension as my 200mm 888 with go-ride flat crowns. The dual crown travis may be lower, not sure.

Look at the pics, you can see they extended the lowers down below the axle a bit to get more travel without making it much taller.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
OGRipper said:
Now I love my 888 and don't think I'll need another fork for a while.
No doubt. I stay out of fork threads now.
I am not interested in anything else.
Its stiff, light, tracks better than any of the USD forks I had before.
And the 05 is pretty much a set it and forget it fork.