Quantcast

check out this ebay email.. scam or not??

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
check this out

the address is ebay.com.my..

i bidded dirt cheap on a bike... and the bike went for like 150 bucks more than i bidded for.... and i got this email 2 days after..
the weird thing is that it gives me outright the sellers email, with a very generic name coportunsell@yahoo.com.. i clicked the link to respond, but asks me to sign in to ebay (while i had ebay signed on, on another window)....
extremely fishy... for a couple minutes i thought it was ok...

it is a scam, right???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The .my extension denotes... I believe that's Malaysia. Yeah, it's a scam. Never click links in emails, all of these services will notify you if you have something like this come up, when you sign in. So just go to the webpage and sign in, if you've got no notices or pending auctions or anything, then there's nothing to worry about.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, and it just means that someone registered the domain "com.my", and started putting prefixes on it to fool people. Pretty smart, actually.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I don't think that ebay puts links in their messages. They prefer you type the address directly into the address bar as links are often spoofed.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I usually use the gut test, and this does not pass. In addition, take a look at the grammer--it's a mess. I think E-Bay would use proper grammer...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
blt2ride said:
I usually use the gut test, and this does not pass. In addition, take a look at the grammer--it's a mess. I think E-Bay would use proper grammer...
:stupid: and they wouldn't add an extra space to eBay (eB ay) in the subject...

splat

Nam I am
If the User has truely, decided to give a 2nd chance to buy it, go to the item even though it has closed it will have a Buy it not Button that only you can use on eBay it self.

and usually the sellers email is also in the mailing address.

I agree with the old gut check method. it doesn't look kosher to me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Although I am curious to know how they got your email address from Ebay. Maybe the whole auction was a scam, and you might want to inform Ebay.

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
"the seller has offered this second chance offer (why use it twice?why not "issued this second chance offer") because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction.
the word "either" is used, implying choices. i see no choice, and the .my is just a web adress registered as .com.my, as Binary said. SCAM.

it was, however, a decent one. How they got your email is pretty interesting though, but they couldve done a better job with grammar and such. i give it a b-

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I'm a powerseller, too, and I got an offer yesterday to buy an Ironhorse Sunday for $850.00. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Changleen said:
Alexis - Why haven't you switched to Firefox yet?
am at work right now, and my work computer runs on explorer sp1 WITHOUT security updates :thumb:

am the administrator, but my boss doesnt want firefox, sp2 and doesnt want to install any windows update (he "thinks" it might interfere with the in-house software we use)....
but i think probably its because we are all running on the same xp cd... :D

oh yeah, and i emailed that address anyway.. and they say:

Hello,
This is a second chance offer and the shipping cost will be included in your highest bid price.
You must send me your full name and address, the item number your user id and will start a secure transaction thru ebay.After that they will contact you with all details abount shipping and payment.
Thank you
hahahaha.....

but i gotta say, this scammers went thru all the trouble of making a whole fake ebay page, and figuring out my email (real ebay notified me somebody tried to contact me) and sent me the "2nd chance offer" though am like the 3rd or 4th highest bidder...