Quantcast

Chicago?

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Looks like I might be moving to Chicago next year, from Boston. What are trails like out there? I'm considering buying a Santa Cruz Heckler this year, I don't want it to go to waste if Illinois is all flat.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
hell we don't know. It is snowing here. But most of us southerners don't know shiot bout Chicago. Cold windy big lake. I might make a visit up there in March. I'll report back then. Wait did we really get piled in with the Mid-west what the hell. :p

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I used to live there. It's pretty flat, but getting better. When I used to live there, the only place that people could get even close to mountain biking was in Palos Heights (and it was a stretch to call it mountain biking!). But I've been told that since I've left, things have been picking up quite a bit. I believe there's a place out in Elgin that's supposed to have some nice "manufactured" trails. And just a couple hours north of Chicago, in Alpine Valley, Wisconsin, there's supposed to be some great downhill stuff. I think I remember hearing about some pretty big DH competitions held there.

The other thing....Chicago's a great city to live in. There's ALWAYS something to do.
Being from Boston, I'm sure you're used to cold-arse winters. That's what you get in Chicago. Snow doesn't get too bad, but the wind-chill is sometimes bad enough to close schools and businesses.

Good luck to you!

Dbuck

Chimp
Nov 11, 2003
Hey I'm up in Rochester, MN. Chicago has some awesome urban riding and trails are getting better, check out the following links for more...Chicago Freeride , Team Sally.com , also if you get on MTBR, there are a ton of midwest riders on that forum. Me being one of them. Hopes this helps.
L8R
Buck