Quantcast

Chile Challenge a national?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
bloody norba... i'm glad the changes were made... but why the hell can't they make up their minds & make the CORRECT changes on the 2nd or 3rd schedule editions... instead of the 1003729th edition.... guess it could be worse... could change DURING the season like it has in the past...

...i wonder if it'll change again any time soon

guess i won't be hitting the US Open this year. bummer... first year i was gonna race it...& now i can't

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
i was just thinking... this might be a step in the right direction for the NORBA series.... since all the stuff that they've been doing thus far has thrown the whole sport of MTB into the toilet, by jumping onto other successful mtb races, they can bring interest to the local series & still have a well organized event that'll go towards the National championships.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I just hope that TBB does not have anything to do with this event as it is one of my Favorites of the year. Everything that they touch turns to S%$T!

I just hope that TBB does not have anything to do with this event as it is one of my Favorites of the year. Everything that they touch turns to S%$T!
I agree,
Yeah this is good move for the national series, but unfortunately all it really does upfront for the MSC Chile Challange is taint its name by attaching Norba National to it.

Last year this race had 415 DH competitors as nothing more then a regional MSC event. I hope TBB isn't involved, and they better not get any reward/credit when this event ends up being huge.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
Will it continue to count as a MSC race too? Like we will get MSC points AND NORBA points?

In my opinion it's a really good move. It will be one of the best if not the best NORBA DH tracks in a while, not even to mention how superior the 4x is compared to anything norba had last season.

Still very confusing how they change it every other week...

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
does anyone have any idea when they might start running the lifts? think they might be running wednesday or thursday ?

It will be cool as long as they run the old alpha course, not the watered down UCI track. Dont get me wrong, i love them all. I just wanna see the pros suffer Alpha like we have for all these years. LOL.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
you mean they actually listening to their members.
...umm, not really (you'll have to wait for the TBB press release for all the details). Frost and Tom were trying to do the best they could with what they had.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
I agree,
Yeah this is good move for the national series, but unfortunately all it really does upfront for the MSC Chile Challange is taint its name by attaching Norba National to it.

Last year this race had 415 DH competitors as nothing more then a regional MSC event. I hope TBB isn't involved, and they better not get any reward/credit when this event ends up being huge.
"A balloon powered by happiness"?!?!

Credit will go where it's due. You guys are too well-informed for it to go down any other way. And if the event's a huge success it should go to Eric and Pamela - for years of schlepping their family around and working long hours in the name of kick-a$$ racing.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Will it continue to count as a MSC race too? Like we will get MSC points AND NORBA points?

In my opinion it's a really good move. It will be one of the best if not the best NORBA DH tracks in a while, not even to mention how superior the 4x is compared to anything norba had last season.

Still very confusing how they change it every other week...
It'll count towards both series. We may have to do a bit of breaking out to make the categories line up exactly, but if that ends up being the case, it'll be done with a degree of anal-retentiveness that would garner smiling approval from a Euro Klein road-bike owner.

There's some confusion in the terminology being tossed around. NORBA/NMBS/TBB/TBW/USAC/"National" - things have changed frequently in the past few years. I'll see if USAC can produce a definitive document about who's done what and who's responsible for what. Norba and the NMBS aren't the same thing. The NMBS and USAC aren't the same thing. I feel like I should understand it better, but there are times that I'm still scratching my head wondering who's driving the bus.

What I do get a very strong sense of is that there are some cooler heads making good decisions behind the scenes. Steve Johnson (CEO, USAC) has actively tried to cultivate a better understanding of the gravity community and that can only benefit everyone. The NORBA Borad of Trustees has convinced me that they're pretty dialed in to what's going on and with Marla and Todd (Iron Horse) on the board, Graity's interests are well-represented.

We're living in a pretty interesting time, change-wise. I get a strong sense that good thinsg are on the not-too-distant horizon.

MM

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
So what i find interesting about this whole thing is that the Sonoma race is still going to happen....they just cut ties with the NMBS...wonder what happened there.........

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Looks like my plans might be changing also. I was thinking of going to the Open this year, but this makes it easier to save myself the long drive to Jersey.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I hope that since it isn't a XC, SD, marathon NORBA the practice times won't be adjusted to little or none. That would suck for you guys.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I hope that since it isn't a XC, SD, marathon NORBA the practice times won't be adjusted to little or none. That would suck for you guys.
what, come on now.... what is wrong with geting 2 hours a day of practice from 8am to10am if you are a pro.... that is soooooo getting your moneys worth. :poster_oops:

nothing like being at a bike race at 10:30 in the morning and not being able to ride for the rest of the day. Go NORBA

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The exact reason I didn't do a single NORBA last year. There are so many more races worth my time and money. :thumb:

Anyway, I really hope it works out for those going to the Chili Challenge this year.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
does anyone have any idea when they might start running the lifts? think they might be running wednesday or thursday ?

It will be cool as long as they run the old alpha course, not the watered down UCI track. Dont get me wrong, i love them all. I just wanna see the pros suffer Alpha like we have for all these years. LOL.
yeah, it would be so cool to see nats on a track i cut out, well at least the top section.

yes, a long time ago in race far far away,.............

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Has anyone checked out the schedule? The damn race is on Monday. I get the fact that it is a holiday and most people have it off but Monday? Practice starts on WED and runs through Monday on what looks like a NORBA practice schedule(2 hours). This totally tossed my plans for this race, I guess I was ignorant for not assuming the race was on Monday??!?!

http://www.racemsc.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=37

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, that does kinda suck for yous pros. And I'm a little irked by the practice schedule, too. But have you raced there before? You should really try to make it. You won't be let down....at least by the course - DH or 4x.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I agree,

Whos TBB? It has a new promoter this year, BigFoot Productions, my cousin Eric sold his company (Cycle Cyndicate) to Yeti cycles and moved back home to Michigan.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
"A balloon powered by happiness"?!?!

Credit will go where it's due. You guys are too well-informed for it to go down any other way. And if the event's a huge success it should go to Eric and Pamela - for years of schlepping their family around and working long hours in the name of kick-a$$ racing.
Hey MIKE...There my Cousins. Now I need a new sponser....HINT.... I'm racing in Washington State. I blame him for my addiction now... I have 3 Downhill bikes and a XC bike.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Has anyone checked out the schedule? The damn race is on Monday. I get the fact that it is a holiday and most people have it off but Monday? Practice starts on WED and runs through Monday on what looks like a NORBA practice schedule(2 hours). This totally tossed my plans for this race, I guess I was ignorant for not assuming the race was on Monday??!?!

http://www.racemsc.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=37
Event schedule is subject to change due to any of, but not limited to, the following reasons: rider feedback, scheduling conflict, gloomy horoscope or promoter's tyrannical whim. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Start talking! The Monday thing is a bit whack, who knows if I'll be able to take it off of work . . .

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Start talking! The Monday thing is a bit whack, who knows if I'll be able to take it off of work . . .
None more whack than the Keystone DH being held on a Monday. I for one am STOKED that Chile is being held over a 3-day weekend, it'll make racing DH, 4X, and Super-D actually possible and not so stressful.

not everyone's as lazy as the government though.
Charles Nelson Riley is.