Quantcast

chiropractor/back problems questions

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I hurt my lower back a few years back and never got the problem fixed. at that time I saw a physical therapist and that person did nothing for me. I did all the stuff they asked, my back never got better. after time, the pain went away but my back was never 'right'.

a few weeks ago doing a small bunnyhop I tweeked by back again. same spot. it hurt pretty bad but probably because I continued to ride for three more hours.... :nope:

typicaly, I don't go to doctors and the like. I just let stuff heal on it's own. but this time I thought, why the hell not see if I can get this thing fixed proper like? so I called my insurance company and found a chiropractor. he's been in business for 18 years and when I first met with him he did a very good job of explaining why my back hurt. it all made sense and he had charts and a fake spine he showed me to demonstrate my problem.

he mentioned he didn't want to see me for years and years like some chiropractors do. he also has a son that skateboards so he understands how some people can abuse their bodys for fun and pleasure. ;)

I've seen him three times now and I can't honestly say that anything he has done has benifited my back in anyway.

my back doesn't hurt so bad that I can't walked around and do stuff but I can't really pick stuff up or ride my bike without it hurting.

what the hell should I do?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
First off - that sucks! Back pain is the worse... it affects your entie body.

Can you describe in more detail the pain? Does it go into your leg or is it just your lower back? Any numbness/tingling? Does it hurt while sitting, standing, laying in bed? Does it hurt more when active or when inactive? etc. etc.

Did you ever go see your doctor (non-Chiropractor)? If so then you should... Chiropractors are very hit or miss... some are wonderful and I credit one in particular for helping my friend to be able to walk without having to get surgery, others are quacks.

Damage to your back can be muscles, tendons/ligaments, bones, or disc. You really should go see a real doctor to figure out which one it is.

If they suggest surgery… let me know, I work in the industry.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it's in my lower back, to the left of my spine. no shooting pains, no tingling, numbing or anything. no pain in my legs. it's very central pain. it feels like something needs to be cracked or popped and the pain would go away.
the area of pain is about the size of a quarter.

the reason I didn't see a doctor is because I seem to have bad luck with them. they too, from my experience, are hit and miss as well.

there was one day when the 'practor had me lay on my side and he stretched out my lower back right in the area it hurt. I felt a slight relief of presure and some of the pain went away. I asked him to do that again the next time I saw him and I didn't get the same results.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
go swimming, 30 minutes of freestyle stroke. I went to 3 different doctors over the years and none could tell me what was wrong. I went swimming one day and felt better. After 3 swims I was 100%.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
aw ****. I have a water phobia. freakin sharks and gators and pirhana and stuff.....

I'll see what I can do. thanks for the suggestion, what stroke should I use. :)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I credit Chiropractic with allowing me to ride again. I couldn't even sleep on my back for years because of the pain. Doctors and PTs were a waste of time.

There is one thing you have to realize. A few trips to the chiropractor isn't going to produce any long term effects. You need to be prepared to go regularly for a long time. It's not cheap or easy, but it could change the quality of your life.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
pnj said:
it's in my lower back, to the left of my spine. no shooting pains, no tingling, numbing or anything. no pain in my legs. it's very central pain. it feels like something needs to be cracked or popped and the pain would go away.
the area of pain is about the size of a quarter.

the reason I didn't see a doctor is because I seem to have bad luck with them. they too, from my experience, are hit and miss as well.

there was one day when the 'practor had me lay on my side and he stretched out my lower back right in the area it hurt. I felt a slight relief of presure and some of the pain went away. I asked him to do that again the next time I saw him and I didn't get the same results.
Sounds like it's a muscle/tendon issue, which is a good thing. I'd still check with a doctor just to be safe.

jmvar's suggestion is 100% dead on... when you swin you stretch your back and work the muscles - all without applyig any load. My freind who didn't want any surgery (she works in the industry as well), was very active (pre-injury) and afterwards swimming was the only thing she coud do. Her doctor credits all her swimming for her speedy recovery.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Ridemonkey said:
I credit Chiropractic with allowing me to ride again. I couldn't even sleep on my back for years because of the pain. Doctors and PTs were a waste of time.

There is one thing you have to realize. A few trips to the chiropractor isn't going to produce any long term effects. You need to be prepared to go regularly for a long time. It's not cheap or easy, but it could change the quality of your life.

I realize that it will take some time but it seems like I would have some amount of change after three visits. or will my back suddenly feel great after, say, eight visits?

I found a pool, salt water, heated and not too expensive so I'll give that a go. now I just have to find a damm swim suit.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Kornphlake said:
you found a pool with salt water? Is it at Sea World or something?
no, it's part of the Puget Sound. we have killer whales out there too. and giant squid. :oink:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Your back will start to ease up after several visits, sometimes after your first few you'll be even more sore before when you first went. Just watch out and do let them sell you on long term programs, I see mine when my back is real jacked up and when its feeling fine I don't go. They are kinda quacks, but it seems to help for some relief.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Brian HCM#1 said:
Your back will start to ease up after several visits, sometimes after your first few you'll be even more sore before when you first went. Just watch out and do let them sell you on long term programs, I see mine when my back is real jacked up and when its feeling fine I don't go. They are kinda quacks, but it seems to help for some relief.
yea, this guy said he didn't want to see me all the time for ever like some guys. he seemed pretty honest but who knows....

but when I saw him last he seemed kind of puzzled, like it should be healing up. it seemed to know exactly what it is though. so I think he's on track.

sometimes I wonder though, I put my body through alot more then the average person. so when I describe pain and say "it's not that bad" it's could be much worse then the person who was in the doctors office before me and said the same thing. that is what I liked about this chiro guy. he has some knowledge of people abusing their body. not all health care type people do.

that probably made no sense.....

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Hey slugman, I could never get a clear and concise explanation as to why swimming helped me out, but what you are saying makes a lot of sense...my result only came about doing the freestyle stroke, nothing else. Is it he stretching motion of the stroke itself?

No other stroke helped, in fact some hurt, like using the board and just paddling with my feet. This put my back in an ackward position and made my back muscles too tense.

PNJ, i highly suggest you try this. It worked miracles for me and my cousin. Swimming is a pain in the arse because you have to find a place, change, swim, shower, change, go home. But the returns are worth it. I hear it all the time when I give this advice, about how expensive a membership will be. But compare it to regular session at a Chiro. or PT. I went to a PT for a whole summer, I felt better after 2 swims than the whole summer of PT sessions.

good luck and let me know how it goes.

julio

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
the salt water pool here is only $3.25 to swim. and it hold 500 people and is heated. nutty.

freestyle stroke is the basic overhand thing, right?

*heads over to google to research various strokes....:D