Quantcast

Choosing a bike, back to stage 1(almost)

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Well I was all set on the sunn but, a combination of it not having arived to date and reports of broken ones and the fact ive never got near to as much as sitting on one mean that im now thinking about alternatives.
The problem is nothing realy stands out to me so im open to suggestions main bikes ive been looking at are the socom, sunday, commencal, V10, glory and gt. listed in order(1st being the one I like most) but realy I dont have a clue about any.

So I ride in the Uk and (france for a few weeks a year) most of the time is spent on the more gnarly tracks like wales or scotland so i need a full dh bike. I ride, I suppose kind of in attack position with my bars quite low, i like to put the bike where i want it kinda like an active ride and i hate the feeling of being a passenger on the bike, so somthing that can be built 40/sub40lbs with reasonable parts and is farely flickable withought being sketchy in the rough stuff but generally id prefer to make my time up on the corners and tech stuff than straight line buldozing but generally our tracks are quite tech, being flickable in the air is good too :thumb:

Frame wise needs to be avaliable in the uk(would love a new dhr but i dont think there here for a while) not likely to be outdated quickly, this is kinda my problem with the v10 commencal and gt. open to suggestions unless they contain specialized in them ;) at a price of anything up to £2000 anything bellow is a bonus cos at that price im probably gona have to sacrifice the world cups and use my teams. :disgust1: (teams are mint anyway there just not shiny and white)

:cheers: :cheers:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
hmm well if your riden the gnar stuff id recomend the v10/sunday/socom/ and if your an aggressive rider youll really love the sunday its made for an argo rider. the v10 if u can find an 07 still are built to 40.35lb stock. depending on wat sunday the world cup comes in at 39lb stock and the team is 43.3 so all three bikes sound great. the giant comes stock around 46, 47 or 48 so youd need to do some work to drop it down to 40. as for the socom i know its DH worthy and ive seen them built with dh parts and as low as 36lb. but i dont know of the availability of them in the UK.

PS im moving to the UK (30min south of london by train) in surrey. any good DH/4x/dj riding? ill be over there the 20th of july

Eren

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
sorry forgt to mention i will be building it up with decent parts, hope hubs ex721, hozfeller cranks, sinline or easton bar bolt on stem probs sunline, sdg ibeam sram gearing, world cups or teams depending on price etc...
Id probaly want to stick round 38lbs tbh so nothing exessive anything around the 40 mark with team will be fine too.

its not real gnarly, but it can be in places if you wana go flat out, thats why i was thinking the v10 may be alittle on the exessive side but allot of people seem pinned on them.

the only thing that worried me about the sunday is that ive seen a few riders riding real rough stuff that looked to be struggling on the sunday ie. because the geo' the sunday seems to push people forwards so they seem to not be able to work the back as much through rough stuff and just seem to ride through it rather than working the ground. also as most of the tracks are relively tight it needs to be good in these situations and the sunday seems better on big open corners/quite stable(long wheel base?), then again from some things ive herd this is the opposite.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
oh and as for the uk if you generally go to wales and scottland then theres allot of good stuff, wales look for, rehola, mynddu, mt ash(not so much), abercarn cwmcarn, caerseus and molfre. Scottland, ae forrest, innerlethen and obveously ft bill are good as of yet though the only chairlift is fort bill and the only other permanant uplift system is cwmcarn.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
damn, im gonna miss the 4 hour away whistler, better make this last ride this weekend there good. trust me youll be fine in thr rough stuff with the sunday, doesnt push me foward, just puts you in an aggressive position, like you said your aggressive, its a perfect aggressive rider bike, doesnt push you fowrad at all

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
does it alow you to kind of stand over the front? I see alot of people that the bike doesnt seem to suit and they almost seem to have to reach up to the bars like asif there standing in the bike if you get my point.

thoughts on the socum and glory would be nice because as far as i can tell these three are my only real options.

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
You'll be lucky to get anything if you havn't got it ordered already. Sundays are sold out appart from 16'' frames, V10's are sold out, Giant glory are sold out (I think, they may have some smalls) and Intense avaliability is not very good. I'd find out what you can get before deciding.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Doesn't Mountain Cycle have an European location?..

Great bikes! Just did my maiden voyage this past weekend on mine (bought it used) and was absolutely blown away! I was a bit apprehensive in contacting them regarding information and to see what their frame replacement was, but I have always received a response, and Eric (US) is super friendly and willing to help in any way.

While their website leaves a lot to be desired, however, at least in the states, they're REAL accessible...Here's the info in case your interested:

EU Info :
Mountain Cycle Europe SARL
196 C rue du Rocher du Lorzier
Centr'Alp
38430 Moirans
Tel : +33 476 35 80 06
Fax : +33 426 23 65 03

Just a thought.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
If you can still get a Glory over there right now, I would get one. I love mine!!!!! You will have to shave some weight off of it when you get it though. Have mine down to 41 lbs now. The bike rails, jumps, pedals well, plus the bike will take anything you can throw at it.

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
PS im moving to the UK (30min south of london by train) in surrey. any good DH/4x/dj riding? ill be over there the 20th of july

Eren
Link up with Nirvana Cycles. They are in the Surrey area. They will show you some go track right outside there door. Leath hill is highest elevation you'll get out where you are. Good xc w/ some stunts here and there. There is a jump park right outside Surbiton as well. Forget the name but ask around and you'll find it.

To the topic in hand.......have you checked out the new transition frame they are putting out. Looks sweet and i believe there is a dealer out there.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
well i need it in the next few weeks so the last is out of question, there are some intenses left in the uk, not sure about ironhorse or giant. I really have no idea about any of these bikes, socom like the sunn i have wories about reliability, IH and giant should be ok in that respect but im nmot sure if i like the way they ride coming from a stand over type single piviot, thing is as tempting as an orange is, id like to have a shorter swing arm because i dont like that about my curent bike, i rode a small glory with 7" forks, it felt good in a straight line because of the near vert axle path but as soon as i started to corner it felt all wrong(due to the size) but i also tryed a medium and it felt comparitively slugish i think that was due to the soft rear spring and firm set up 40s wich the guy was running. Ive riden a few sundays around the car park but they were all set up stiff and tall up front for me even then from what ive been hearing you need to get it on the trail, car park tests aint good with any bike anyway.